The Race Place

Things Melbourne Cup

mardigras

And now Constantinople shares favouritism with Mer De Glace in the Melbourne Cup. I am unsure as to why the Winkers didn't do the job as apparently Hayes knows about this stuff and gets it right in the big races. My uneducated opinion is the horse wins the Caulfield Cup without the gear change.

1531660293_constantinopleblinkers.jpg.d09dad7a2716e180673d02951bbac327.jpg

1 hour ago, mardigras said:

Steel Prince going there too I think as is Wall Of Fire I believe, who I quite fancy to win that. POA will be topweight I expect - not that that is an issue.

I thought WOF run last start was his best in a while 

Expecting big runs from Red Gallileo and True Self

Yucatan and Steel Prince for myself if they accept and Prince of Arran 

Edited by VC!

5 minutes ago, VC! said:

I thought WOF run last start was his best in a while 

Expecting big runs from Red Gallileo and True Self

Yucatan and Steel Prince for myself if they accept and Prince of Arran 

Yucatan supposedly heading to MV Cup. I think there may be an issue with him they are trying to get right.

1 minute ago, mardigras said:

Yucatan supposedly heading to MV Cup. I think there may be an issue with him they are trying to get right.

True

If they put up ridiculous odds about WOF I will have a very small investment like I did with Sound in the CC 140-1 he loomed and looked likely at the turn I just can’t help but think are we rating these horses on form 18-24 months back

8 minutes ago, VC! said:

True

If they put up ridiculous odds about WOF I will have a very small investment like I did with Sound in the CC 140-1 he loomed and looked likely at the turn I just can’t help but think are we rating these horses on form 18-24 months back

Could be. Sound hasn't done a lot in Oz. But I still thought his run in CC was OK. He got a big bump even though at the time I thought he wasn't going anywhere. Seemed to rally a little late. So I'm still not sure whether he is not fit enough or whether he doesn't suit the style of racing in Oz. WOF might be up to Geelong Cup level. If he won, might not be enough to get into Cup anyway. Whereas POA would if he won I'd say.

• Like 1

Some pretty ordinary runs in the Geelong Cup

I guess it helps with the elimination process 

POA was trading at over 5s 

I have my top 4 MC cup picks in this order

1) Constantinople 

2) Finche

3)Mer De Grace (have ???? At the 3200

4) Southern France

Now just have 1 to add to the list and I’m done

Edited by VC!
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, mardigras said:

As expected - Muntahaa anyway, is out of the cup.

I just have one a little bit out of left field 

Master of Wine if it wins the City Tatts does it pass the ballot clause and where would it sit on OOE

Would it need to win the Lexus?

Team Hawkes done this with a similar horse from memory called Maluckyday I remember backing it on BF at over 100s before it ran in the Lexus zi think you could run top 2 back then

31 minutes ago, VC! said:

I just have one a little bit out of left field 

Master of Wine if it wins the City Tatts does it pass the ballot clause and where would it sit on OOE

Would it need to win the Lexus?

Team Hawkes done this with a similar horse from memory called Maluckyday I remember backing it on BF at over 100s before it ran in the Lexus zi think you could run top 2 back then

A win passes the ballot. A placing doesn't. A win would entitle it to a penalty. But really needs at least 2.5kg (to even have a chance on re-handicapping) and won't get that even if it won by 10 lengths against that lot. So I'd say is a must to win the Lexus to make the Cup.

He would sit around early - mid 50s OOE if he won and didn't get a penalty on Saturday.

Yes, was there when Maluckyday won the Lexus to make the field. He wouldn't have got in without that win either - before running 2nd in the cup.

Edited by mardigras
  • Thanks 1

Yeah Mardi just part 3,4and 5 to go

Not sure if team Hawkes will want MOW to have 3 starts in 10 days they may think we have a good en let’s wait 12 months if they do proceed hopefully it makes the Lexus field, then it needs to win the Lexus,

Putting a pen through Mr Quickie and not taken by Hunting Horn’s win