The Race Place

Things Melbourne Cup

mardigras

7 hours ago, barryb said:

Mardi, please can you post here your top 3 for the cup for us.

I have totally no idea so relying on you.

Haven't got much that is particularly astounding. But from the odds, I have the following top 2, the two extra for the top 3/4

Mer De Glace is my top selection and is at value at the 8.6.

Cross Counter is definite value at 17s

The other two I'd consider at the lower end of the market is Raymond Tusk and Prince Of Arran both at 20s.

If I added a couple of the longer odds runners at value, I'd be looking at Steel Prince at 90s and for very long odds Sound at 200s.

It would be the most even Melbourne Cup field I've seen - probably due to the unprecedented situation where the top 24 in the order of entry prior to Saturday, all paid up and made the field. Usually 4 or 5 drop out to be filled by often lesser types.

I didn't like originally, but even Surprise Baby has profiled quite well through my analysis. But you can't take them all. And the one I've invested in the most in still Mirage Dancer. Ans is at a little value at 44s.

And I haven't even mentioned Constantinople or Vow And Declare - and may still have missed the winner! At least the forecast is suggesting little or no rain. I don't particularly want a bunch of more rain since I'm out on the lawn up close with the horses when I go to Flemington, and see every single one of them unobstructed before and during the race.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, curious said:

Yeahh have a great day mardi. Thanks for the reports and may the rain stay away for you. I've also backed the two top weights both of which I have at some value. A nibble on Rostropovich and Magic Wand for longer odds value.

I also like Magic Wand who was my bet for the Cox Plate. But just at assessed price for me. Good luck all.  

Unfortunately I'm pretty much with the market this year. Constantinople and Mer De Glace the two who can make their own luck to win.

Since thats a boring prediction I'll spice it up by adding that Finche will hit the lead and go down in the last 100 to those two with Southern France, Latrobe, Mirage Dancer and Raymond Tusk also closing late.

• Like 1

No interest in Constantinople @9-50

Waterhouse on Twilight Payment to win 450k and Latrobe to win 250k

Not much interest in Mirage Dancer or Prince of Arran or Mustajeer 

One punter tried to get on II Paradiso to win a million only got on to win 300k

Master of reality no Interest 

Only small bets on Mer De Glace

Finche now clear favourite 

1 hour ago, VC! said:

Tom Waterhouse at the call of the card wanted to back The Chosen One to win 1.5 Million they let him on to win 1 Million

Ran past a few last 150m Saturday. But he'd have to improve a fair bit for me, although thought he was the best of the race. I was actually surprised they ran him Saturday.

33 minutes ago, mardigras said:

Ran past a few last 150m Saturday. But he'd have to improve a fair bit for me, although thought he was the best of the race. I was actually surprised they ran him Saturday.

I was surprised also

He was one of 9 horses I had scratched 

23 hours ago, barryb said:

seems like there is a real chance of a decent odds winner this yr,  looks incredibly even.

No real standout chance, I will chuck in 4 of your guys suggestions and see how I go. Great stuff thanks guys.

I think given last month was the month for the 'L's, that I'll be moving on and going for the 'M's tomorrow.

MAGIC WAND (IRE); MUSTAJEER (GB); MIRAGE DANCER (GB); MASTER OF REALITY (IRE); MER DE GLACE (JPN)

Pretty sure the winner will be amongst that lot. Best of luck barryb.

25 minutes ago, Midnight Caller said:

Mardi, how's the track playing today?

True soft 5/6?

It's sunny but not overly warm. I expect it would get to a 5 today. There was a storm here yesterday to add to Saturday's rain. So a 6 is probably about right as of now. Time for the 2yos will probably help decide.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mardigras said:

It's sunny but not overly warm. I expect it would get to a 5 today. There was a storm here yesterday to add to Saturday's rain. So a 6 is probably about right as of now. Time for the 2yos will probably help decide.

Thanks Mardi, I have some cup anti poste runners, with Raymond Tusk being the best return 80/1🤞

• Like 1