The Race Place

Thursday Trivia

PWJ

29 minutes ago, Maximus said:

TIME FOR...

MAXI'S FANTABULOUS HORSIE TRIVIA QUIZ ...

RULES

Only one rule. Incorrect guesses will be DQ'ed. That means you're on the trail to jail with no bail.
First correct guess wins.

Q:What were Mr Ed's first words to Wilbur?

MM

It's been a long time since I was a pony?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ngakonui grass said:

Scotch Dewar ? 

$250.00 service fee in 1971

Bang on NG, as usual. He started out at Mr. Gower's in Bell Block, Taranaki. From our back fence I could see him in his stallion paddock most days. The first grey horse I remember seeing for real. I think he ended up with John McRobbie at Te Aroha.

A non-winner in 6 starts in England, he was by the great Grey Sovereign, a progenitor of many temperamental stallions. As a sire Scotch Dewar was somewhat left on the shelf, standing at small studs with little promotion and consequently left only 65 foals across 11 crops resulting in just 41 runners, the best of which were Last Lu and Highland Blend each open company winners.

As a broodmare sire he was slightly more successful being the damsire of NZ 1000 Guineas placegetter and Desert Gold Stakes winner Eastern Bay and the Sydney stakeswinner Uno Petera (17 wins)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, not quite Thursday but this one will be a toughie. Yearling photo to work on. Name the horse and his half-brother

Clues:

1) $100k purchase by a legendary trainer

2) finished 3rd & 4th in two of Australia's biggest races

3) pedigree carried a duplication of a One Thousand Guineas runner-up who produced 3 Gr1 winners

4) His half-brother stood at stud in Southland !

Capture.JPG.a5f705238db422597f5d2b3f9849588d.JPG

Oh boy....NG you are too good. I'm just going to have to make these harder

Yes all correct. Gold Pulse is also a rare case of disputed status. The Australian Studbook does not recognize his Christmas Cup win at Rosehill as a stakes race and therefore have him down as a non-SW but Arion do recognize it.

He was 3rd to battle Sign & Rafique in the AJC Derby and 4th in Gold and Black's Melbourne Cup just behind Reckless and Hyperno and beating Happy Union, Ming Dynasty, Van der Hum & Royal Cadenza