The Race Place

Super Comp team challenge to Racecafe

Hesi

After some gentle arm twisting, PJ has agreed to potentially run this, if the challenge is accepted, along the following proposed lines

1.  PJ runs a standard 8 team comp on Race Place

2.  Simultaneously, someone(probably John - Say No more), runs an identical 8 team comp on Racecafe

3.  It is up to each site to run their competition as per standard Super Comp rules and format, such that the top 2 teams can be decided

4.  PJ selects the races each week, because that is what he has always done

5.  At the end of the 7 round robin, the top 2 teams from each site play off in a semifinal, then final, also run simultaneously on the 2 sites.  The winner, crowned the champion team

6.  Prizes are awarded for

- champion team, along with a trophy that maybe Maxi can organise

- person with the highest aggregate over the round robin

- person with the most number of match wins over the round robin

- booby prize for the person with the most points scored against them over the round robin

Probably aim at starting in June

Any thoughts.

It probably will not be accepted, but we will give it a go anyway

Yes, quite a few floaters, but enough that post exclusively on one site or the other to make it different.

Just trying to add a new twist.

Over the years we have seen the comps kept invigorated by new interesting posters joining in

25 minutes ago, Dancing Show said:

I see one problem with this and that is that many of us post on both sites and enter competitions on both sites so chances are the teams on both sites will be made up of very similar folk ..

Yes I thought that too.

Constructive idea Alan but I'll be amazed if the challenge is accepted.

• 8 months later...

I would still like to get this up and running in the new year.  Any thoughts now???

The concerns were, that there are several people who post on both sites and this may effect who they play for.  However, I feel there is more than sufficient loyalty to PJ, such that we can put together 8 teams on TRP.

Let's see what his nibs(not PJ) has to say this time

On 11/19/2022 at 9:54 AM, Hesi said:

I would still like to get this up and running in the new year.  Any thoughts now???

The concerns were, that there are several people who post on both sites and this may effect who they play for.  However, I feel there is more than sufficient loyalty to PJ, such that we can put together 8 teams on TRP.

Let's see what his nibs(not PJ) has to say this time

I don't see a problem with people posting on both sites. Very much like rugby players being eligible for two countries, and have to choose one. If in the end one of the sites only has enough for 5 or 6 teams, and the other can accommodate that, then that is what the competition will be. If I have to stand aside because of lack of numbers, then sobeit, and I am definitely not wanting to join the other side to make up their numbers. 

Cheers.

Robert.

4 minutes ago, Double R said:

I don't see a problem with people posting on both sites. Very much like rugby players being eligible for two countries, and have to choose one. If in the end one of the sites only has enough for 5 or 6 teams, and the other can accommodate that, then that is what the competition will be. If I have to stand aside because of lack of numbers, then sobeit, and I am definitely not wanting to join the other side to make up their numbers. 

Cheers.

Robert.

Don't get me wrong, never been an issue for me

• Like 1

On 11/19/2022 at 7:54 AM, Hesi said:

This would be a great concept 

Unfortunately this won’t happen, everyone on here knows Race Cafe, many on Cafe don’t know raceplace it can only benefit one party, by taking up the offer Leigh would be risking losing some numbers and raceplace gaining some numbers, by accepting your offer Alan it would feel to Leigh like he’s giving you a free leg up, 

Personally speaking I don’t think Race Cafe would lose any numbers, but I do feel you would gain some 

Brilliant idea, unfortunately it’s buried 

BTW I think Cafe would WIN!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, VC! said:

This would be a great concept 

Unfortunately this won’t happen, everyone on here knows Race Cafe, many on Cafe don’t know raceplace it can only benefit one party, by taking up the offer Leigh would be risking losing some numbers and raceplace gaining some numbers, by accepting your offer Alan it would feel to Leigh like he’s giving you a free leg up, 

Personally speaking I don’t think Race Cafe would lose any numbers, but I do feel you would gain some 

Brilliant idea, unfortunately it’s buried 

BTW I think Cafe would WIN!

Can't be that insecure, surely

The idea sounds good in theory BUT to have 8 teams in the TRP comp we would need all the double acceptors to start on this side rather than over there. I am happy to run it. I am guessing that an NPC format rather than a draft would be the way to go. When is the question also...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PWJ said:

The idea sounds good in theory BUT to have 8 teams in the TRP comp we would need all the double acceptors to start on this side rather than over there. I am happy to run it. I am guessing that an NPC format rather than a draft would be the way to go. When is the question also...

I have no doubt PJ that all the double acceptors have a strong loyalty to you  if their comments over the years are anything to go by

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PWJ said:

I would never cheat on you P.J.😍

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, PWJ said:

That's why an individual comp may work. Everyman for himself and get to choose which side to bat for, and lines drawn at the start.

47 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

Forget the team format and have a Head to Head instead. Us against them . Always wanted payback.👍

PJ's team format adds substantially to any comp, and invites a lot more banter.  The banter can fall flat a bit in an individual comp, as a few have found out, because people don't like to blow their own horn(except for the latest twit on RC, something lad he calls himself).  However with a team, you can shoot your mouth off as much as you want, because it is always about the team.  The team format also leads to many more possibilities, as we have seen, with all the variables going into the last few races

The Mustelid has Been Thinking.

Why this fixation on another racelovers' channel/forum to 'play ball' in the Greatest Comp on Earth?

There must be countless other groups/organisations/clubs we could invite to take us on.

Boys Get Paid? Trainers Assn? Trackside? SENZ? Raceform? TAB Bookies (sorry, they'd chicken out before the first), Westbury? Cambridge Stud? Rich Hill? etc etc ....Breeders Assns, Racing Clubs ups and down the country, NZ First (if they can be trusted ...

send out the invites and the rules and hey presto! it's all on. First in, best-dressed.

MM

• Like 1

The problem with that as I see it, is the commitment of people, especially to a subject that is outside their immediate interest.  It is a big ask of people, to select 20 horses for 10 weeks plus.  Even with the comps on TRP, there are always a few who forget to post.  Whereas with Racecafe, most know the ropes and what is required.  Also it takes a lot to run a comp, even half as well as PJ runs it, and I'm not in favour or lumbering him with scoring for another group.

Whereas John on Racecafe can do it easily, and would jump at the opportunity

And remember that one of the keys to the success of the format, is the updating before each next race and the comment about the different options for the next.

• Like 3

On 3/11/2022 at 11:23 AM, Dancing Show said:

I see one problem with this and that is that many of us post on both sites and enter competitions on both sites so chances are the teams on both sites will be made up of very similar folk ..

Jekyll and Hyde persona`s... Race Cafe tipping , Go wide ... The Race Place Sensible tipping ..

• Like 1

This post of yours Maria was one of the things that put me off initially, but upon thinking about it, so many wax lyrical about PJ, the time he puts in, the slick manner in which he runs the comps, the gratefulness about providing so much enjoyment over the years, that those that do post on both sites, are almost certainly going to support him, on this site.

Anyway, I don't think it is going to happen.  A site like Racecafe with almost 100 times more members than this site, appears afraid, that in doing so this site might get a bit of exposure, and therefore we might gain a few new members.  That might happen, so what, we might gain 10-20 new members, we will still be 100 times smaller.

The whole purpose in putting this forward, was to try and get the sites to have a bit of synergy and work together, this was Pete's hope(I think).  We have things that RC does not have, like a good punting section, a punters club and good comps, run by several people other than just PJ.  We don't have the industry depth of discussion, so if you want that you pop over to RC.

Anyway, hope springs eternal

• Like 1