The Race Place

Midweek 5 To Win Results Thread

PWJ

2 hours ago, Dancing Show said:

That's what it comes down to in some cases, prioritising the time, because you want to and because it's important to you.   I agree.. there are some parents that don't prioritise that time so any input into education won't change that, it's grass roots level in many cases, and some just don't do that and can't be bothered, but there are also some that want to do that but they themselves don't have that knowledge to do that for their children, however much they want to because they themselves didn't have that luxury and just aren't great at english, maths etc.     They are the families that I hope these new initiatives will assist.

It's just really basic stuff though, that has very little to do with your ability to understand English or Maths.  Most of it is simple application and effort incorporated into daily communication with your child

eg Mum is getting 2 apples out of the fridge, she says to daughter.  Holds them up, now how many have I got and what have I got.

8 hours ago, brown fox said:

Good stuff Hesi.With our youngsters we had a set of cards with the numbers 1_10 and about 20  with small words like it/the/is etc  and they knew them before starting school.Teacher said this gives them a huge start.Not difficult

The problem with children who go to school with reading and writing skills,its not long until their levels fall as teacher has to spend so much time with underprepared kids.I can vouch for that as i was a teacher aide for a period between jobs.

• Like 2

It's not hard to incorporate basic maths and english into everyday life.

As a family we used to.play games like Bingo,kids scrabble,etc and we still do with our grandkikids.Both our grandkids who are now 11 and 6 respectively could count to 100 and multiply and divide  by 2,5 and 10 by 4years of age.When both started school at 5 they were at 8yo level for literacy and maths.My daughter found with the oldest one that he found school boring when he started as the learning came down to the level of the average denomination so advanced and the struggling got forgotten about.

She managed to find a school that had a low student to teacher ratio and had programs in place for all levels and now the boys are thriving.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, richie said:

It's not hard to incorporate basic maths and english into everyday life.

As a family we used to.play games like Bingo,kids scrabble,etc and we still do with our grandkikids.Both our grandkids who are now 11 and 6 respectively could count to 100 and multiply and divide  by 2,5 and 10 by 4years of age.When both started school at 5 they were at 8yo level for literacy and maths.My daughter found with the oldest one that he found school boring when he started as the learning came down to the level of the average denomination so advanced and the struggling got forgotten about.

She managed to find a school that had a low student to teacher ratio and had programs in place for all levels and now the boys are thriving.

Exactly!

It's actually no coincidence that the slide in results in schools has deteriorated in last 10 years was about the time it was made easier for Pacific Island familys  to move here.I think this is  the half of the  problem that hasnt been addressed.

4 hours ago, Hesi said:

crap parents are probably not sending their kids

Correct and why so many schools have to hire/appoint Truancy officers as the number of kids not in school is mindboggling. I know as I do a breakfast club for MIS in Masterton two days a week and listen to the teachers remonstrate about it.

On another note, there is huge groundswell of parents homeschooling. Two of my boys homeschooled their kids,5 in all and they turned out well rounded individuals mostly. The two girls couldnt for various reasons, one being that my oldest (the Teacher) spends upward of 50 to 60 hrs a week as it is. 

One goes into a supermarket and finds teenagers serving at the counter who cant add up, when presented with cash. Basic stuff, and these are part of the nxt generation to progress our Nation .

Here's the MM view on edjamikation ...

The curriculum is all wrong. 

Get back to basics - the three R's etc

Prioritise teaching skills that will help a child get ahead in life

• teach Survival Skills eg First Aid / CPR. Make it mandatory.
  • teach Budgeting Skills. Make it mandatory (from Intermediate schools age onwards)
  • teach Health and Wellbeing. Make it mandatory - incl Anatomy/Nutrition/Mindfulness
  • teach Conflict Resolution. Make it mandatory.
  • teach Driving Skills, incl Road Code. Make it mandatory.

chuck out the PC crap and irrelevant subjects (eg French, Japanese, Mandarin)

Catchin' my drift ? Or am I being obtuse?

MM

• Like 1

6 hours ago, richie said:

As a family we used to.play games like Bingo,kids scrabble,etc and we still do with our grandkikids.Both our grandkids who are now 11 and 6 respectively could count to 100 and multiply and divide  by 2,5 and 10 by 4years of age.When both started school at 5 they were at 8yo level for literacy and maths

When we were kids we used to play a game called "Around the world" (like ludo on steriods) and after a few games of that you got to know all the country capital cities. Now days many kids (and adults) cannot even point to a country let a alone a city on a map.
Children are competitive and love games, despite the academics frowning on competition because someone loses.

• Like 4

Round 5 - (Mar) - Wed Mar 22

Race 1 - Pukekohe R6

1st - 9 Good Spot P-$2.50

2nd - 3 Mr Mondello P-$2.90

3rd - 10 Diamonds For Jen P-$2.80

Scr: 1,2,11

Carnage (as expected in the first) with 14 of 20 entrants coming unstuck including 4 on the fave who ran last ! No one "spotted" the winner at $2.50/place ! Gee, Rob and Pete are the lamplighters...

29 Gee

29 Rob

29 Pete

28 Wrinkles

28 PJ

28 Maurice

Eliminated $0:

Jack, Jamison, Gordy, Hesi, Rex, Rees, Maria, Richie, Our Maizcay, Max, Craig, Graeme, Ngakonui G, Steve P

Round 5 - (Mar) - Wed Mar 22

Race 2 - Pukekohe R7

1st - 3 Desert Mystic P-$4.20

2nd - 8 Pure Fiction P-$3.10

3rd - 9 Anela P-$2.10

Scr: 5

Rob, Maurice & Wrinkles just missed out with Toblerone running 4 and just missing the chocolates ! Gee - on Tipsy Tart and Pete & PJ on The Roaring Tiger - all missed, so every gone before the 3rd as some predicted. Better luck at Albury on Friday .......

Eliminated $0:

Pete, PJ, Maurice, Gee, Wrinkles, Rob

Race 1 spread

1 Bundeena $1.90

Graeme, Secret Squirrel, Stevie N, Ian, Jamison, PJ, Craig, Wrinkles, Maria, Jack, Robert, Tom, Maurice

4 Tapa Capall $1.20

Richie, Rees, Gordy, Hesi, Pete

6 Fox Appeal $2.80

Ngakonui G, Max

8 Belleistic Kids $2.70

Rob

9 November Falls $2.40

Gee

Round 6 - (Mar) - Fri Mar 24

Race 1 - Albury R3

1st - 7 Diesel P-$2.70

2nd - 6 Fox Appeal P-$3.90

3rd - 4 Tapa Capall P-$1.04

Scr: 3

Total carnage (as usual) in the first as 15 of 22 entrants bite the dust - most on the fave Bundeena who found 1400m a bridge too far. Max and NG show the way with a "foxy" tip...

39 Ngakonui G

39 Max

10.40 Pete

10.40 Richie

10.40 Rees

10.40 Gordy

10.40 Hesi

Eliminated $0:

Maria, Wrinkles, Rob, PJ, Jamison, Robert, Jack, Tom, Maurice, Graeme, Gee, Craig, Secret Squirrel, Ian, Stevie N

Round 6 - (Mar) - Fri Mar 24

Race 2 - Albury R4

1st - 7 Sizzling Cat P-$2.40

2nd - 11 Les Goh P-$3.20

3rd - 4 Cliff House P-$2.20

Scr: 5,13-15

Gordy, Rees & Max exit after the second race. Gordy & Rees take a few cents with them - could prove valuable later. The other 4 progress with NG opening up a big lead. Will his luck hold. On to race 3 - nose bleed territory for this comp !

124.80 Ngakonui G

32.40 Pete

22.40 Richie

22.40 Hesi

Eliminated:

0.40 Gordy

0.40 Rees

0 Max