The Race Place

Final Group A Games - Fifa Womens World Cup

Howard Atkinson

Here's how I see the final Group A matches going this Sunday based on what I've seen of Group A matches to date :-

New Zealand  0   
Switzerland    0

I'd love to see the Football Ferns get up to take this out, however as shown against the Philippines they lack the firepower up front to score goals. Scoring goals has been a longstanding problem for them. Based on that a draw is the the best I can see them getting away with.

Norway        3
Philippines   0

Norway will rise from their slumber here, and put away the chances that the Football Ferns missed against the Philippines. Norway will have too much speed for the Philippines and as good as the Philippines' goalie is, the reality is she's gonna be peppered with shots all evening and she won't be able to stop them all.

• Like 2

I am surprised they didn't drag Wilkinson off,who just seemed to hover around the front waiting for some miracle ball, and give Millie Cleg a go up front. A rising star with finishing skills. Some real finds though with Hand ,CJ Bott and Katie Bowen in the back. Cause for some encouraging results in the future. 

• Like 2

Come the end of the day a team can't expect to advance scoring a total 1 goal in 3 games.
The loss to the Philippines was a catastrophe that will haunt for many months, as realistically the Football Ferns should have been a 3 or 4 goal better team, yet couldn't even muster a draw.
Interestingly the Ferns weren't beaten by either team that advanced to the knockout rounds. Neither of those teams even scored a goal against the Ferns.
Group A was one of the weaker groups in round robin, maybe the weakest. I wouldn't give Switzerland any show at all of advancing further than their first knockout round match.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

I am surprised they didn't drag Wilkinson off,who just seemed to hover around the front waiting for some miracle ball, and give Millie Cleg a go up front. A rising star with finishing skills. Some real finds though with Hand ,CJ Bott and Katie Bowen in the back. Cause for some encouraging results in the future. 

astonishing how quickly the pundits are knocking Wilkinson, a heroine as recently as a week ago.

MM

Great tournament for the girls given their lead up results, they should be proud of their efforts.

Clearly we serioysly lack a couple of genuine strikers who can score goals, fix that and they will get better results. Let's go shopping....

Football will get a huge lift at school and club level so long term a very good outcome. Fully deserved imho

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maximus said:

stonishing how quickly the pundits are knocking Wilkinson, a heroine as recently as a week ago.

Sorry Max but heroines score goals (plural), and she looked a bit lazy on it to be honest. There are some who should be shown the door after this world cup, and build for the next with some young talent coming through. They had their chances ,but thats football. 

Apart from being negative , what I have enjoyed is seeing the utter delight on the faces of some of the lesser teams when scoring or even winning a game they weren't supposed to. Morocco bouncing back from 6 nil to Germany ,to beat Sth Korea a prime example, and dare I say it the Philippines beating us. Some would say that the quality isn't there for a genuine 32 team comp, but some of these girls are experiencing a once in a lifetime opportunity playing against opposition they could only dream of outside their own regional areas. And one only improves by testing yourself in areas you haven't been tested before. Woman's football can only be stronger for this type of format. Good on them.

Edited by Globederby19
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Globederby19 said:

Sorry Max but heroines score goals (plural), and she looked a bit lazy on it to be honest. There are some who should be shown the door after this world cup, and build for the next with some young talent coming through. They had their chances ,but thats football. 

Hannah Wilkinson has scored 3 goals in her last 34 internationals.
No doubt she's a great lady who tries her heart out for her country. Her goal against Norway will be a treasured memory for her forever.
But 3 from 34 for an international striker ?
By comparison, do you think an All Black winger who doesn't score in 5 consecutive tests will see test match 6 ??
Not in my lifetime.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did NZ have the lowest goals for in their group(1 goal)? Playing with just one up front with very little support when they did break out sums up the squad all round. They played well above themselves in the group  stage(apart from the Philippines match).Comparing them twitter other teams in the tournament, they need to get back to basic find the touch and control with the ball at their feet, especially playing the ball into the box. Plenty of positives  to  take away and build on for the future. 

3 hours ago, Turny said:

Your right Howard, we need goal scorers it really is that simple 

We do, but we also need a midfield to supply good ball, and apart from our wingers who occasionally supplied crosses, the midfield did diddly squat. Sadly lacking unfortunately.Longo and Percival were underwhelming,and poor coaching decision to let a leg tired player take a penalty.  Hasset at least had some pace and Olivia Chance looked good on the ball . 

• Like 1

You guys are spot on !
When I watched other matches there were players up in the box ready to attack, but for the kiwis generally only one player badly outnumbered.
The control of players with the ball at their feet in other matches seemed light years ahead of what the kiwis were managing - even Spain who went down 0-4 in their match ! For the kiwis it seemed more 'kick and hope'.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Howard Atkinson said:

Hannah Wilkinson has scored 3 goals in her last 34 internationals.
No doubt she's a great lady who tries her heart out for her country. Her goal against Norway will be a treasured memory for her forever.
But 3 from 34 for an international striker ?
By comparison, do you think an All Black winger who doesn't score in 5 consecutive tests will see test match 6 ??
Not in my lifetime.

At least she beat every other player with the number of times she was on tv spitting.

She is well overated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Globederby19 said:

Yep, yay. "yank my doodle its a dandy", goodbye 🙋‍♀️

Fancy Not singing your Anthem at a World Cup . At least 3 of them did that weren't corrupted by the Rapinoe Political farce.

Rapinoe sure found out 'Karma is a Bitch' ...  goodbye , farewell , good riddance 

World's most un-popular sports player for a long time . (and worst team player )

here's more of her crap too. Laughing at the miss ? what a sad finish to her career in front of the World. (wonder if she did it on purpose ?)  

The retiring winger was seen to be laughing after her shot was skied into the crowd in her last act as an international player. Her reaction was quickly hammered on social media by US fans.

Megan Rapinoe reacts after missing her shot during the penalty shootout on Sunday night. Picture: Robin Alam/USSF/Getty Images for USSF

Megan Rapinoe reacts after missing her shot during the penalty shootout on Sunday night. Picture: Robin Alam/USSF/Getty Images for USSF

“Rapinoe LAUGHING after she misses the penalty is a joke. The USWNT need to get their act together and start bringing in the new generation,” one person tweeted.

“Laughing after missing a PK that effectively eliminated your country from the World Cup is certainly a choice. Is Megan Rapinoe the most unlikable American athlete of all time?” another said.

Rapinoe drew heavy criticism for her activism and for bringing it into the national team after she began kneeling and staying silent during the national anthem.

Most of the team have followed, with majority of the squad refusing to sing along prior to their matches.

• Like 1

just watched the England vs Nigeria game

why, immediately after the penalty shootout, do we have to listen to the inane drivel from the crew in the NZ studio,  why not just stick with the live feed and the emotion of the players, fans etc

the studio discussion adds nothing and is quite honestly embarrassing - the guy is a try hard and all of the nicknames ("Greeny") and corny nonsense is cringe worthy, makes Popplewell look good

same thing happened last night after Sweden beat the US, woman in the studio then could hardly string together a sensible comment

love the tournament and the match coverage, just drop the local studio content