The Race Place

Trentham track yesterday

Hesi

12 minutes ago, mardigras said:

Lol, more stakes thrown around. And a slot race. I think Peter's summed it up, NZ Racing needs to get its mojo back. But throwing money at stakes is not going to do it - as it didn't the last time he tried that. a lot of hype about pretty much nothing - just another shuffling of the deck chairs with a bit of cash injection.

Agree that it is shuffling, Levin Classic to 1400m, a 2 day Karaka will have an even bigger impact on Trentham, Railway moved to Karaka night 1.  

Conclusion, where will all the horses come from for this 14 weeks of racing, 12 months to go.  The timing is good with respect to Aus carnivals, but how many top line Aus horses will come, none, maybe a few second stringers.  They are all focusing on the Aus Autumn carnival 

2 minutes ago, mardigras said:

Gotta love the inability to separate the Racing industry from the Breeding industry. All at the press conference seem to think they are the same thing.

That is because NZ Bloodstock probably wrote a lot of the communique

I note also the slot race for 3 year olds will be on NZ Derby day, so that will put more pressure on the Derby, just as the Karaka Millions races have diminished fields for the surrounding group races, Royal Stakes, Desert Gold, Thorndon Mile etc

5 minutes ago, Hesi said:

I note also the slot race for 3 year olds will be on NZ Derby day, so that will put more pressure on the Derby, just as the Karaka Millions races have diminished fields for the surrounding group races, Royal Stakes, Desert Gold, Thorndon Mile etc

It does seem a bit odd programming that slot race on the same day as a premier G1 race for 3yos.

2 minutes ago, curious said:

It does seem a bit odd programming that slot race on the same day as a premier G1 race for 3yos.

Yes, and while it is for 1400m, if you have a horse that can run 1400 what are you going to go for 1 million or 4.5 million

13 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Yes, and while it is for 1400m, if you have a horse that can run 1400 what are you going to go for 1 million or 4.5 million

1500 I think. The whole thing is a rather large disappointing anti-climax for me. Might be beneficial to breeders but can't see how it will make much difference to the racing industry as a whole.

Edited by curious

50 minutes ago, curious said:

Speaking of throwing cash about, I didn't hear anything about where it is coming from?

S.I  industry days appear to be 'doing their bit'  - stakes dropping from April.

Nothing as yet advertised for N.I industry stake levels.

1 hour ago, curious said:

1500 I think. The whole thing is a rather large disappointing anti-climax for me. Might be beneficial to breeders but can't see how it will make much difference to the racing industry as a whole.

Yep sorry 1500m

50 minutes ago, Freda said:

S.I  industry days appear to be 'doing their bit'  - stakes dropping from April.

Nothing as yet advertised for N.I industry stake levels.

Supposed to drop to 17k for the off-peak season from April 6 to 25 August as advertised and that is nation wide, not just SI. Feature stakes to 40/35/20 for the same period. At least that was what is in the funding document.

Edited by curious

So overall, it has all been to enhance the Karaka Million carnival, other races moved to do so and accommodate the second day.  The first day at Ellerslie paying the ultimate price.  The Avondale and Waikato Guineas will be hard hit with the addition of the 1500m race on March 8.

Note also that most of the changes relate to races 1500m or less

The changes will also see the Sir Tristram Fillies Classic run the same day as the Waikato Guineas, so that will further diminish the field

Trainers and connections are going to have a real headache, do we start putting our horses over further ground with the Waikato and Avondale Guineas as a lead up to the $1 mil Derby, or do we find race(s) to suit after the 3 year old KM classic that suit a preparation for the 1500m 4.5 mil  slot race.  

41 minutes ago, curious said:

Supposed to drop to 17k for the off-peak season from April 6 to 25 August as advertised and that is nation wide, not just SI. Feature stakes to 40/35/20 for the same period. At least that was what is in the funding document.

Ah, OK.  Hadn't seen that.

23 hours ago, mardigras said:

Lol, more stakes thrown around. And a slot race. I think Peter's summed it up, NZ Racing needs to get its mojo back. But throwing money at stakes is not going to do it - as it didn't the last time he tried that. a lot of hype about pretty much nothing - just another shuffling of the deck chairs with a bit of cash injection.

exactly, mate. Winnie back in the early 200os was heralded as the saviour of NZ Racing cos of a handful (?) of rich races - wasnt the Derby $!M or $2M for a year or two?...the slot race "the Kiwi' is fine as a showcase event for all the reasons we know a la Everest...but Racing NSW has a multi-dimensional strategy that secures the industry's future...can NZ be just as clever?
Avondale can be part of it...if they put their egos aside, protect the AJC's heritage in a deal with NZR or ATR or whoever, by selling the land (or most of it) and applying the cash to the industry they profess to love.

MM

22 hours ago, Hesi said:

if your horse that 'can run 1400m' isnt a product of a Karaka sale it wont be running for a slice of 4.5m. We must remember that these innovations are all about NZB/TAB/Entain and the growth of their bloodstock business and raceday wagering.

MM

23 hours ago, mardigras said:

Gotta love the inability to separate the Racing industry from the Breeding industry. All at the press conference seem to think they are the same thing.

Winnie's the worst. Completely misunderstands that they are separate if overlapping. The figures he cited confirmed that.

• Like 1