The Race Place

Trentham track yesterday

Hesi

1 hour ago, Buller Rep said:

Not what the winning jockey after the first when he won on the rail.

Admittedly the rail up the shute was definitely off as seen during race 2 and others.

For the first 5 races they mainly kept close to the rail

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

Dates for this season, it has 3 or 4 still

You mean 23/24? Yes. That was planned due to Ellerslie being shut down etc. but I was meaning 24/25. Those draft dates should be about. Someone (from a club) may have them? Be interesting to see.

This all makes me so sad.   As many of you know, I grew up on the Trentham track... my father was Track Supervisor there from 1976 to 1987 and it was such a big part of my life during my teen years (11 to 22).   He learnt his trade from the great Alf McCarthy and even though I'm biased, they were great days on the champagne turf.  

The track is on an old riverbed, it's drainage has always been difficult due to rock bed not far beneath the surface.  It has a natural cant from outside in, if the track is unyielding and there is additional moisture then it's natural the softer areas will always be on the inside.     It's difficult, because of the lack of excellent drainage the surface has to be prepared for upcoming weather, well soaked, to prevent cutting out if later rain on a good surface, or a good surface of grass to keep some hold and cushion.    The other issue that Trentham has is not enough racing now, so you get a lot of new growth, and it's not worn, it's lovely, green and shiny, and any moisture it gets slippery, so you have to have harsh brush and take the shine off, and/or allow some track gallops on it, so it's never an easy pathway when courses move from training bases to just race tracks because it adds another layer to track management.  

Perhaps they need to consult some old heads until they work out a sustainable path forward 🙂 

Edited by Dancing Show
added a have :) should have proof read before hitting send :)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Funny aint it, that we never hear a peep from anyone in charge at Avondale Jockey Club?

Who are they?

When was their most recent official statement re the Club's future?

Speak up AJC, we wanna know your point of view.

MM

56 minutes ago, Maximus said:

Funny aint it, that we never hear a peep from anyone in charge at Avondale Jockey Club?

Who are they?

When was their most recent official statement re the Club's future?

Speak up AJC, we wanna know your point of view.

MM

Avondale

Committee

Club President 

Tracey Berkahn

Vice President

Daniel Higgins

Hon Treasurer

Leeann Martin

Hon Secretary

Manny Boyack

Committee

Allan Boyle
Warwick Donaldson
Jan McLeod
Chris Ryan
Jan Skinner

Club Stewards

Gary Jenkins

Terry Skinner

Warren Strand

Denise West

General Manager

Manny Boyack

Email: mannyb@ajc.co.nz

Phone: 027 537 2990

From Newroom June 2022

The two-year refurbishment of the Ellerslie Racecourse has bought Avondale Racecourse some respite, but its thoroughbred racing licence comes to an end in 2025/26. At that point, all bets are off. Newsroom has learned that the owners, the Avondale Jockey Club and their national body NZ Thoroughbred Racing, are already in commercial talks to turn over much of the valuable 30 hectare property to housing.

NZ Thoroughbred Racing chief executive Bruce Sharrock wouldn’t reveal much. “Given what’s going on in that part of Auckland, and Auckland in general, it’d be pretty foolish to think it would be anything but housing,” he tells Newsroom. 

“I would suggest it’s an extremely valuable piece of land. There are discussions underway, there is a plan in place, but it is commercially sensitive.”

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

From Newroom June 2022

The two-year refurbishment of the Ellerslie Racecourse has bought Avondale Racecourse some respite, but its thoroughbred racing licence comes to an end in 2025/26. At that point, all bets are off. Newsroom has learned that the owners, the Avondale Jockey Club and their national body NZ Thoroughbred Racing, are already in commercial talks to turn over much of the valuable 30 hectare property to housing.

NZ Thoroughbred Racing chief executive Bruce Sharrock wouldn’t reveal much. “Given what’s going on in that part of Auckland, and Auckland in general, it’d be pretty foolish to think it would be anything but housing,” he tells Newsroom. 

“I would suggest it’s an extremely valuable piece of land. There are discussions underway, there is a plan in place, but it is commercially sensitive.”

so commercially sensitive that 20 months later no-one is any the wiser...and Winnie is back in charge (sort of)

MM

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mardigras said:

Maybe that is the case with Avondale. But I simply oppose the idea that a community based racing venue should become assets of NZTR. If racing stops there, the assets should be given to the community in some fashion.

You can't neglect the infrastructure. The increase in stakes shouldn't have happened ahead of the requirement for massive money into infrastructure, as the interest in NZ Racing will not increase if the infrastructure is not addressed. My bakery needs properly maintained ovens otherwise my sales go down the gurgler. It's basic stuff. Increasing the stakes has done nothing to change interest in NZ Racing - and as per this thread, there are big problems even with all the extra stakemoney.

Had a conversation recently with Bruce Sharrock, at the races.  He indicated that increasing stakes was identified as 'crucial to maintaining and increasing interest and building turnover '   or words to that effect.  

It didn't appear that there was any plan for NZTR to do anything different, going forward.    So - unless I'm very wrong in my interpretation - there will be the same old, same old, throw money into stakes and things will be exactly the same.

49 minutes ago, Freda said:

Had a conversation recently with Bruce Sharrock, at the races.  He indicated that increasing stakes was identified as 'crucial to maintaining and increasing interest and building turnover '   or words to that effect.  

It didn't appear that there was any plan for NZTR to do anything different, going forward.    So - unless I'm very wrong in my interpretation - there will be the same old, same old, throw money into stakes and things will be exactly the same.

Well, in my opinion, it may retain participants (since some of their revenue is derived from stakes). But I'd be inclined to say it will have zero impact on racing interest and building turnover. Betting simply does not work that way beyond those that are already happy punting there. The stake has no impact on the prices available, or the actual system in place for managing and running races - or the presentation of the tracks. Sadly, he is delusional.

I'd love to hear the rationale behind the thinking that stake drives punter interest. I don't think it does that anywhere I know of.

Edited by mardigras
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, mardigras said:

I'd love to hear the rationale behind the thinking that stake drives punter interest. I don't think it does that anywhere I know of.

Yes. He's got it completely arse backwards. Punter interest provides the revenue that drives stakes, among other things.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, curious said:

Yes. He's got it completely arse backwards. Punter interest provides the revenue that drives stakes, among other things.

His view would be like my bakery putting the prices up of its shitty pies - because then more people would be interested in buying them, thinking they were better pies - and then putting the extra revenue into maintaining the worn out ovens that have been producing the shitty pies.

No wonder NZ Racing can't progress.

Edited by mardigras

11 hours ago, Hesi said:

From Newroom June 2022

Sad isn’t it. For the best part of a century Avondale racecourse was covered in sports fields (11x rugby fields from memory) with thousands using it every week and other sports like touch football in the evenings. Now it looks destined to be a sea of low cost townhouses crammed together in an otherwise nothing suburb. Progress ??

1 hour ago, mardigras said:

Well, in my opinion, it may retain participants (since some of their revenue is derived from stakes). But I'd be inclined to say it will have zero impact on racing interest and building turnover. Betting simply does not work that way beyond those that are already happy punting there. The stake has no impact on the prices available, or the actual system in place for managing and running races - or the presentation of the tracks. Sadly, he is delusional.

I'm not sure yourself or Sharrock have got it right, maybe something in-between.  A need to build the industry, but also a need to build your customer base.

Just now, Hesi said:

I'm not sure yourself or Sharrock have got it right, maybe something in-between.  A need to build the industry, but also a need to build your customer base.

It's common sense - something lacking in NZ Racing management.

Do you think my shitty pies would sell more (long term) because of putting the prices up?

Yet for some reason, you think that stake can have an impact on punter interest & turnover. Why - one reason why. And please, not a fairytale.

If punters thought NZ Racing was more attractive because of the stake, how long would it last when nothing in relation to punting has changed? Surely you can answer that simple thing. Why would more punters be attracted to NZ Racing if nothing to do with punting on NZ Racing has changed?

10 hours ago, Maximus said:

so commercially sensitive that 20 months later no-one is any the wiser...and Winnie is back in charge (sort of)

MM

I reckon the conversation has gone like this

Sharrock - We are not going to issue licenses past 25/26

Avondale - We will fight you in every court in the land to stop you getting your hands on our assets

S - Lets talk about a halfway house option

A - How do you mean

S - We will work with you to get Avondale developed with housing, if part of the benefits are used for the betterment of racing in NZ, you are after all a racing club

A - What do you mean

S - We will broker a deal with Ellerslie which is only 20 min down the motorway, for you to race there, with 2 premier meetings for your flagship races, plus another X number of meetings.

A - what is it going to cost us

S - Well that is the $64,000 question

A - When

S - Well you can't race her past 25/26, so that is the deadline

4 minutes ago, Hesi said:

I reckon the conversation has gone like this

Sharrock - We are not going to issue licenses past 25/26

Avondale - We will fight you in every court in the land to stop you getting your hands on our assets

S - Lets talk about a halfway house option

A - How do you mean

S - We will work with you to get Avondale developed with housing, if part of the benefits are used for the betterment of racing in NZ, you are after all a racing club

A - What do you mean

S - We will broker a deal with Ellerslie which is only 20 min down the motorway, for you to race there, with 2 premier meetings for your flagship races, plus another X number of meetings.

A - what is it going to cost us

S - Well that is the $64,000 question

A - When

S - Well you can't race her past 25/26, so that is the deadline

What does the Avondale community get out of that?

I'd prefer something like

Let's sell 80% of the land for housing development to fund a community development on the other 20%. A community facility for sports clubs/markets/other avenues. And then gift the community facility to Council for management and usage arrangements.

10% of the proceeds from selling the land can be gifted to NZ Racing.

Well it is all about a tradeoff for Avondale who I presume would still like to race and NZ racing, so who knows what is being discussed.  The robustness of the legislation as to whether NZTR owns their assets would appear to have to be tested in the courts.  Neither side wants that.  It would appear that next season is their last racing at Avondale, so a decision cannot be far off.

7 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Well it is all about a tradeoff for Avondale who I presume would still like to race and NZ racing, so who knows what is being discussed.  The robustness of the legislation as to whether NZTR owns their assets would appear to have to be tested in the courts.  Neither side wants that.  It would appear that next season is their last racing at Avondale, so a decision cannot be far off.

I would have thought 10% of any land sell would be more than enough to 'buy' into racing at an alternative venue. The reality is that all NZ racing should have been shut down - in which case none of the clubs would be racing. I don't see Avondale ceasing to exist as being a big issue.

I see the tradeoff being around Avondale being a community venue. Racing at Ellerslie in not going to do a lot for the Avondale community. Gifting some land to the Avondale community supports the Avondale community.

Edited by mardigras

Lol, more stakes thrown around. And a slot race. I think Peter's summed it up, NZ Racing needs to get its mojo back. But throwing money at stakes is not going to do it - as it didn't the last time he tried that. a lot of hype about pretty much nothing - just another shuffling of the deck chairs with a bit of cash injection.