The Race Place

Tracks

Hesi

The only reference I can find to it is that the dead thatch (grass) forms a layer that is difficult for water to penetrate and wetting agents are added to help this, but then I thought the problem they were having was this shallow root mass????

I think we are all being bullshitted to save a few skins

11 hours ago, Hesi said:

The only reference I can find to it is that the dead thatch (grass) forms a layer that is difficult for water to penetrate and wetting agents are added to help this, but then I thought the problem they were having was this shallow root mass????

I think we are all being bullshitted to save a few skins

That is 100% correct...twisting and turning like worms to save their own skins.

Unfortunately, because I am not a doomsayer, but there is a very real possibility that the meeting will be called off prior to or after R1.  There has been a lot of steady rain in Auckland with a lot more to come.

I hope I am wrong for the sake of the racing industry in NZ.

The main reason for building this track, was to give a world class racing surface, that would give punters confidence, and therefore increase wagering.

I think already we are seeing question marks from punters about the track, question marks from connections about racing their horses on it.

We still do not know why it has gone wrong.  You simply can't point the finger at anyone until it is known what went wrong

Explanations from ATR are lacking credibility.  I don't know whether they can have an independent inquiry, but that is what is needed

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Unfortunately, because I am not a doomsayer, but there is a very real possibility that the meeting will be called off prior to or after R1.  There has been a lot of steady rain in Auckland with a lot more to come.

I hope I am wrong for the sake of the racing industry in NZ.

The main reason for building this track, was to give a world class racing surface, that would give punters confidence, and therefore increase wagering.

I think already we are seeing question marks from punters about the track, question marks from connections about racing their horses on it.

We still do not know why it has gone wrong.  You simply can't point the finger at anyone until it is known what went wrong

Explanations from ATR are lacking credibility.  I don't know whether they can have an independent inquiry, but that is what is needed

What is a head-scratcher for me, is that Strathayr has allowed its product name to be used in the face of the mess-up.

I would have thought they would be issuing disclaimers all over the place.

Edited by Freda
  • Like 1

Fair comment, and it suggests that they have culpability as well.

Strathayr grow turf in a very controlled environment.  Trying to repeat that outside of that environment, on a racecourse has a number of risks to it

• Like 1

Like I said earlier  in this thread, I'm sure they changed something in the layers below from the tried and tested. Whether that was changed by the ATR or the contractors for costing reason I do not know. I don't  have a beef with PW but his eyes are too close together for my liking.Reminds of that sidekick  Penfold🤓, wasn't he a gerbil or rat or something?

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Fair comment, and it suggests that they have culpability as well.

Strathayr grow turf in a very controlled environment.  Trying to repeat that outside of that environment, on a racecourse has a number of risks to it

The question is though Hesi, is it the turf that is the issue or what lays below?

17 minutes ago, Midnight Caller said:

The question is though Hesi, is it the turf that is the issue or what lays below?

As I witnessed myself a large portion of the work from excavation through to the final layer of topsoil, I can assure you its nothing to do with whats below.

My thoughts are the issue is around the delays (caused mainly by the amount of solid rock under the track being more vast than anticipated) & the need to get back racing there. The racing may have started back earlier than it should have.

The professionalism of the team managing the track construction from Aus (they used mainly NZ labour) was very high, so I doubt these issues are anything along those lines either & I suspect some of it isn't unexpected.

Edited by BarryB
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Hesi said:

I think I replied to you that I recall reading (I think) that they found so much volcanic rock, that they decided to crush it on site to use as the compacted gravel layer

Yes they did for a small amount of it, most was used elsewhere. The sub base came mainly from Papakura & the sand from the Waikato river.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, BarryB said:

As I witnessed myself a large portion of the work from excavation through to the final layer of topsoil, I can assure you its nothing to do with whats below.

My thoughts are the issue is around the delays (caused mainly by the amount of solid rock under the track being more vast than anticipated) & the need to get back racing there. The racing may have started back earlier than it should have.

The professionalism of the team managing the track construction from Aus (they used mainly NZ labour) was very high, so I doubt these issues are anything along those lines either & I suspect some of it isn't unexpected.

Thanks, good to get some more informed input

I have a feeling you are in the industry so know what you are talking about.  I presume the sub base was a graded base course

Yes (Seal Chip, Concrete Aggs quality) & if I remember rightly its 1.2mtrs deep & about 20,000 tonne was used.

No short cuts happened here & it should never have any issues with draining, it would be a better sub surface & deeper than most sports fields in NZ.

So as you say, it comes back to the turf (seeded) not being ready, but Karaka Million was happening here regardless, so that is where the problem lies.

Begs the question whether they should have raced today on it

1 minute ago, Hesi said:

So as you say, it comes back to the turf (seeded) not being ready, but Karaka Million was happening here regardless, so that is where the problem lies.

Begs the question whether they should have raced today on it

Yes, my thought exactly, they raced on it 6 months too early after the delays caused by as I mentioned above.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like you may have been driving one lol

Nope, but certainly had a lot to do with the building of the track & the team from Aus.

I also feel that we as a society have become totally risk averse in the cotton wool society we live in.

The mere hint of an issue & the jocks are pulling pin today that 20 yrs ago they never would have & rightly so as there lives are at risk. We have to take this also into context when looking at this stuff & looking back into the past.

Edited by BarryB

4 minutes ago, BarryB said:

Yes, my thought exactly, they raced on it 6 months too early after the delays caused by as I mentioned above.

Because the extra excavation was adding to the cost, would this have been the reason why they decided to seed on site as it was cheaper