The Race Place

Tracks

Hesi

Just an observation, but how is it that Randwick can get 230 mm of rain over 24 hours but they can still run easy track times 1.10.40, 1.36 , 2.06 (2000m)

Every track in NZ would have abandoned, possibly the day before.

Is it climatic or just better built and maintained tracks

13 hours ago, Hesi said:

Just an observation, but how is it that Randwick can get 230 mm of rain over 24 hours but they can still run easy track times 1.10.40, 1.36 , 2.06 (2000m)

Every track in NZ would have abandoned, possibly the day before.

Is it climatic or just better built and maintained tracks

Those times are not inconsistent with other times on tracks rated Heavy - at the better end, but then these were also high performing horses.

The tracks will be better prepared for drainage to cope with such rain. After the flooding, I heard it had subsided very quickly - and they had an upgrade even before R1.

I think the likes of Foxton would almost cope if the water table is not too high and the tide is going out.

Hopefully the new Awapuni track and Ellerslie and the new polys would also have that level of drainage.

Edited by curious

8 minutes ago, curious said:

I think the likes of Foxton would almost cope if the water table is not too high and the tide is going out.

Hopefully the new Awapuni track and Ellerslie and the new polys would also have that level of drainage.

Would you put money on it?

Tracks like Ellerslie, Awapuni and Foxton coping with 9 inches of rain over a 24 hour period.

Short answer is NO...the reason their track held up and was able to take the rain was called planning and maintenance over years...something NZ knows nothing about...reap as you sow...and if we are relying on tides to hold a race meeting then we are in real bad shape....JMO.

Edited by RJB

Interesting comments

During the bad flooding in Auckland on Jan 27 2023, 258 mm fell or 10 inches.

Previously in March 2017 Auckland saw over 4 inches in a short period (hours?), that saw the Auckland Cup postponed from the Sat to Wed, much to the delight of the connections of Chenille, who would have been scratched had it been run on Sat but ran and won on the drier track on the Wed

Even the so called headquarters that had a fortune spent on it has major issues...too many horses going amiss during its so called bedding in process...what a joke that we seem to accept that as acceptable.

There are 3 more meetings at Ellerslie on April 10,20 and May 25, then a break until October.

Most racing people would be amazed at how well Randwick handled so much rain, then raced on a softish track (times indicative)

If I was Bruce Sharrock, I would be getting on a plane to Sydney and finding out how the hell they could manage that.

30 minutes ago, Hesi said:

There are 3 more meetings at Ellerslie on April 10,20 and May 25, then a break until October.

Most racing people would be amazed at how well Randwick handled so much rain, then raced on a softish track (times indicative)

If I was Bruce Sharrock, I would be getting on a plane to Sydney and finding out how the hell they could manage that.

Wouldn't a phone call work? 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2024 at 8:02 AM, Hesi said:

Would you put money on it?

Tracks like Ellerslie, Awapuni and Foxton coping with 9 inches of rain over a 24 hour period.

Ellerslie will, there is no doubt.

The new Awapuni track not so well, as it's not a StrathAyr track. It is simply a standard track with better drainage, sand slitting and a sand carpet like Te Rapa. 

Foxton not a hope as there are other factors at play. 

We have hardly had any rain for weeks yet Foxton is soft for tomorrows trials. Whilst I love my horses trialing there, Leggy/Curious and mates have created the biggest myth in racing around Foxton.

😄

11 minutes ago, Buller Rep said:

Ellerslie will, there is no doubt.

The new Awapuni track not so well, as it's not a StrathAyr track. It is simply a standard track with better drainage, sand slitting and a sand carpet like Te Rapa. 

Foxton not a hope as there are other factors at play. 

We have hardly had any rain for weeks yet Foxton is soft for tomorrows trials. Whilst I love my horses trialing there, Leggy/Curious and mates have created the biggest myth in racing around Foxton.

😄

What myth? 116mms this month. Probably a G4 tomorrow.

8 minutes ago, curious said:

What myth? 116mms this month. Probably a G4 tomorrow.

Are you serious?

Are you saying that there has been 116 mils of rain this month, That is in the last 8 days?

I don't believe you!

Yes, I do expect that the track will improve overnight to a G4, but it is S5 today.

Lovely day here on the Kapiti Coast hence my agreement with you about an improvement for tomorrow.

48 minutes ago, curious said:

Foxton weather in April

Temperature April 13.8°C | 56.8°F Precipitation / Rainfall April 116mm | 4.6 inches
Temperature April max. 17.2°C | 63°F
Temperature April min. 10.9°C | 51.6°F

What year was that?

Curious, you are doing it to me again......... Levin is 12 minutes down the road and the official Rainfall for there for the last 30 days is 29.4 mm. [One whole month]

Yet you are trying to tell me that Foxton has had 116mm in the last 8 days!

I haven't read about any localized weather bomb hitting Flaxtown, have you?

1 hour ago, Buller Rep said:

Curious, you are doing it to me again......... Levin is 12 minutes down the road and the official Rainfall for there for the last 30 days is 29.4 mm. [One whole month]

Foxton weather is not the same as Levin's. Just like Otaki's is nothing like Levin's.

1 hour ago, Buller Rep said:

No, but my own weather station 5kms north of Foxton shows 110.2mms for April. Often quite a bit of variance between the two from my records over the last 20 years. Ring the track manager if you want the exact figures for there for some reason.