The Race Place

Tracks

Hesi

I thought I had read somewhere (possibly on RP)a while back, that they changed  the construction or materials under the top layer for some reason. Was that because of the overall price of the project? Surely the Ellerslie committee and hierarchy had the final say. I'm not surprised there has been no comment from Wilcox, as he would not want to fall on his own sword.

I would only assume its a mess...look at Caulfield they did a new track there recently and everyone is raving about it...so new tracks dont all need time to bed in...its all bollocks...I hope it gets sorted for the sake of the industry, but I can see it having to be closed and redone...and that would be a disaster.

Also, just wanting to add - the old situation saying that a Strathayr had not had an abandonment due to the state of the track.

That is incorrect. MV was abandoned in 2020 after 5 races due to water logged track conditions.

• Like 1

And Elwick (Hobart) has been abandoned due to issues with the track. Losing their Tasmanian Guineas meeting first to a postponement, and then a cancellation in late 2020.

And Clifford Park (Toowoomba) has had multiple abandonments due to weather/state of the track.

Edited by mardigras

3 hours ago, Midnight Caller said:

I thought I had read somewhere (possibly on RP)a while back, that they changed  the construction or materials under the top layer for some reason. Was that because of the overall price of the project? Surely the Ellerslie committee and hierarchy had the final say. I'm not surprised there has been no comment from Wilcox, as he would not want to fall on his own sword.

Wilcox is reported as saying it should be good to go by this time next year isn't he?

“Naturally we are disappointed in relation to having an abandonment. We pride ourselves on doing things right, so we let ourselves down when this happens,” Wilcox said.

“From what we can ascertain, it is the same issue where the grass is matted and joins the sand profile, which is causing the slipperiness. We thought we had that under control and we obviously didn’t,”

“After the last race meeting here (this season), which is the 25th of May, it (StrathAyr track) will get a heavy renovation and that will be focussing on removing that matting to ensure going forward that that can’t cause any issues. This time next year, it will be settled and hopefully racing perfectly,”

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, curious said:

Wilcox is reported as saying it should be good to go by this time next year isn't he?

“Naturally we are disappointed in relation to having an abandonment. We pride ourselves on doing things right, so we let ourselves down when this happens,” Wilcox said.

“From what we can ascertain, it is the same issue where the grass is matted and joins the sand profile, which is causing the slipperiness. We thought we had that under control and we obviously didn’t,”

“After the last race meeting here (this season), which is the 25th of May, it (StrathAyr track) will get a heavy renovation and that will be focussing on removing that matting to ensure going forward that that can’t cause any issues. This time next year, it will be settled and hopefully racing perfectly,”

55 million and we are stilling living on hopes and dreams...what a joke a complete joke.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, curious said:

One would hope it has settled and racing well for October when racing begins at Ellerslie, not this time next year, as that is a lot of racing to get through.

Worst case scenario and they have to relay the track, it is not 55 mil down the gurgler, a lot less as it will only be the top 2 layers, the turf and mesh elements.

Racing again at Pukekohe and Te Rapa might bruise a few egos though

14 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Worst case scenario and they have to relay the track, it is not 55 mil down the gurgler, a lot less as it will only be the top 2 layers, the turf and mesh elements.

Racing again at Pukekohe and Te Rapa might bruise a few egos though

So you seem to be like many oh it's ok to spend a few more million after they have basically misspent 55 already....see thats why they keep doing what they do...people accept mediocrity...and with that we will never improve. Muppets running the show only protecting themselves and their own survival.

Not at all, just thinking out aloud

But all the speculators don't actually know what has gone wrong.

You will note from a previous post, that Strathayr have handled the project by having their man onsite as the project coordinator, so who has f,,,,ed up, incorrect technical advice from Strathayr or ATR overuling and doing it the way they want, we just don't know.

I would agree with you on one thing, we are not going to get straight answers

I would postulate, from what Curious said about seeding, is that they have made the decision to seed to save costs, possibly because they were over budget with the excavation for drainage.  Ellerslie is in the middle of about 6 extinct volcanic cones so lots of volcanic rock.  In fact Barry posted a pic on here a while ago that showed a mountain of rock (I think they had made the decision to crush the rock to use as the second layer). 

Anyway, seeding takes a lot longer to produce an established turf surface, so they have tried to push it along, with the Jan 27 deadline in mind, by regular but shallow watering, hence the shallow root mass, and the problems that have manifested

Just a theory 

18 hours ago, RJB said:

100% agree but as I said they seem to know more than anyone and why the hell did they not fix the contours going out of the straight and the camber of the corner...for the sake of keeping its character ...well it lost that when they sold the hill I would of thought...and why on earth with the amount they spent was there a need still for a crossing where it is...surely it could have been a tunnel under the track...but hey thats like commonsense.

Not sure if you are aware of the flashy tunnel constructed at the other end. I can never understand the blase attitude about crossings. Many horses hurdle it and looking at incidents there seems a lot of serious falls after the finish line. The crossing just a short cut to the golf complex. Surely at least some sort of plank system could be used.

An investigation and plan of action has been formulated following yesterday's meeting abandonment at Ellerslie Racecourse

No images? Click here

CorporateEmail-banner-9900000000079e3c.p

Plan of Action Formulated Following Investigation Into Ellerslie Racecourse Meeting Abandonment

Sent on behalf of Auckland Thoroughbred Racing and New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing

In the wake of the abandonment of yesterday’s race meeting at Ellerslie Racecourse, Auckland Thoroughbred Racing (ATR), in conjunction with New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing (NZTR) advises a comprehensive investigation has been undertaken, resulting in an agreed plan of action that will be implemented to address safety concerns and ensure future racing success.

Yesterday’s race meeting was abandoned after Race 3 due to safety concerns arising from a slip on the newly-installed StrathAyr track.

ATR chief executive, Paul Wilcox, expresses his displeasure in what happened by saying, "We are disappointed in relation to having an abandonment.  In upholding our commitment to excellence, instances like these are regrettable as they fall short of our standards."

He further emphasises, "We also understand the disappointment yesterday's abandonment would have caused to participants, stakeholders, and fans; however, also want to emphasise that the safety and well-being of horses and jockeys is paramount and accept that this was the right decision under the circumstances."

Wilcox notes similarities between this incident and the one encountered at the TAB Karaka Millions in January, acknowledging that yesterday’s issues stemmed from the interface between the root matting and the sand profile.

“This incident bears resemblance to the issue presented at the TAB Karaka Millions earlier this year.  We acknowledge that the root layer at the 10m rail position was not broken up to the extent of other used areas of the track - something that effectively formed a sponge that then held moisture near the surface. That’s what caused the issues.

“Addressing this issue effectively is paramount to ensuring the safety and integrity of our racing surfaces moving forward.”

Wilcox assures that following a meeting this morning between the Club, NZTR and RIB representatives, along with Frank Casimaty of StrathAyr and Chris Hay from Elwick Racecourse which has a StrathAyr track, an immediate plan of action is being implemented to address the issues created by the root mass and to also utilise the sand in the track to dust the surface and reduce any surface greasiness.

"The Club, along with NZTR, are grateful for the advice received – particularly that from Chris Hay – as we continue to find the best process for preparing the track for raceday.  From installation through to the return to racing at Ellerslie, we have worked closely with StrathAyr to ensure the highest standards. Our next steps will help restore confidence of our jockeys, owners, trainers, and punters in our racing surface at Ellerslie," he says.

ATR commenced vertidraining the track earlier this week and will continue this process with additional coring of the track to a depth of at least 100mm. This action is aimed at bringing the sand from these cores to the track's surface.  Subsequently, machinery will be utilised to break up these cores and spread them over the track's surface, with any remaining grass tufts to be removed. This work will be undertaken over the remainder of the week and into the weekend.

NZTR chief operating officer, Darin Balcombe, is pleased about the steps being taken in saying “After our discussions with Chris Hay this morning, we are confident that the additional coring and breaking up of those cores will alleviate the issues with the surface.

“We will continue to work closely with ATR to ensure the track continues to improve with racing.”

Furthermore, ATR has ordered a corer machine to help ensure the ongoing track surface will continue to improve with further racing and, after the conclusion of the season on May 25, will undertake a heavy renovation on the track to include removing the matting to prevent similar issues in the future.

Wilcox is confident things will look much different in the future saying, "As we move forward, our focus remains unwaveringly fixed on ensuring the highest standards of safety and excellence. We are fully committed to implementing comprehensive measures to address the issue swiftly and effectively.

“Looking ahead, we are optimistic that with the planned renovations and diligent maintenance efforts, our track at Ellerslie will not only be stabilised but also optimised to deliver impeccable racing conditions and an exceptional racing experience for all participants and enthusiasts alike.”

Prior to returning to racing, trials will take place this coming Monday 15 April. These will need to be completed satisfactorily with the rail in the raceday position for racing to resume as scheduled on Easter Handicap Day, next Saturday 20 April.

NZTR have instigated the Abandonment Review Protocol and will review all events and track preparation leading up to the partial abandonment of Wednesday’s raceday.

ATR extends its sincere apologies for any inconveniences caused and appreciates the public's understanding and support as it prioritises the safety and welfare of the racing community.

The Club remains committed to working diligently with relevant parties to address the issue at hand and retains confidence in its decision to install a StrathAyr racing surface at Ellerslie.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

While I have concerns that they may still consider racing or even trialling on it until they are as certain as possible that the risks have been remedied, I think this is a much more comprehensive and detailed report of the outcome of today's work on the issue than we have been getting, and to me, sounds hopeful that it can be sorted.

Edited by curious
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, curious said:

While I have concerns that they may still consider racing or even trialling on it until they are as certain as possible that the risks have been remedied, I think this is a much more comprehensive and detailed report of the outcome of today's work on the issue than we have been getting, and to me, sounds hopeful that it can be sorted.

Whilst in general I agree with you, I don’t think that there is too much of a risk trialling on Monday so long as the rail is in the innermost position
After all, that part of the track has been used of late without any problems. 
In fact I have even recommended that my friends take their filly there to trial on Monday. 

• Like 1

New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing [NZTR] and Auckland Thoroughbred Racing [ATR] would like to provide an update on the 'Return to Racing' for Ellerslie Racecourse.

Following the Club's abandonment on Wednesday 10 April, all work that was prescribed has now been completed.

A set of eight trials were held successfully at Ellerslie Racecourse today [Monday 15 April] giving the Club clearance to return to racing. 

A number of industry personnel and senior jockeys were in attendance at the trials today to monitor the surface including representatives from; Strathayr, the Racing Integrity Board, NZTR and ATR. 

The overarching feedback NZTR and ATR received following the trials was positive, with the following comments provided by senior jockeys on the state of the track:

"The track felt a lot better – they [ATR] obviously had done a lot of work on it since Wednesday. The horses are getting a good bit of traction and there’s actually a bit of kick back now, which highlights the more traction the horses are getting." - Senior Jockey Warren Kennedy

"I noticeably felt more traction and more give in the track. The machinery work and the spreading of sand since last Thursday has certainly seen an improvement.” - Senior Jockey Craig Grylls

The first race meeting set to be held back at Ellerslie will be Saturday 20 April 2024. We extend our gratitude to Chris Hay from Elwick Racecourse for his assistance and advice post-abandonment.

• Like 1

So many experts on these chat sites about this issue.

If ATR diverged from the normal Strathayr procedure, then this guy Martin Neville from Strathayr who was present the whole time would have had to approve it.

The question is why did they diverge...when all the rest of the international tracks had a tried and true formula...???Should that not be answered as they spent 55 million of industry money.

Edited by RJB

Yes absolutely, that is what people in the industry want to know, but it is not going to be divulged.

I suspect the only way it could come out is if the worst comes to the worst and the track has to be re-done, then there could be legal action.

But at the moment, we just don't know.

Did ATR want to seed on site to save costs

Did Strathayr approve that, in which case Strathayr have culpability

Did Strathayr say we are not happy with that, but ATR went ahead anyway, in which case ATR is accountable.

Did Strathhayr approve seeding, but it was not done in accordance with procedure.

Were both parties in a situation of learning as you go, because it had never been done like that before.

Many many unanswered questions, that for people to speculate on what went wrong is really just guessing

• Like 1

I think also that Curious makes a salient point when he says that seeding grass, it takes a long time for a durable turf surface to become established.

And what leads me to postulate that they tried to push it with lots of regular (shallow) watering, in order to meet the Jan deadline, and this is how we ended up with a shallow root mass

I'm guessing that when the decision was made to seed on site, various alarm bells were sounded by Strathayr, so maybe the accountability is a lot more difficult to pinpoint.....who knows.

From my experience, you don't try a new way of doing things until it has been tried and tested many times over.  So Ellerslie has turned into one big experiment

If you have ever been to Turfgrass NZ, the company that produces Ready Lawn in NZ, you will see that all the special conditions for growing turf are rigorously set up, including the testing, soil conditions, fertilising, irrigation, and regularly monitored.  This will be how Strathayr grow their turf in Aus.

These are conditions very hard to reproduce and control on a racecourse.