The Race Place

Monday trivia

PWJ

• PWJ pinned this topic

Here's a few memories for you PJ

Meanwhile, at Heatherlea Park near Levin, trainer Craig Ivil was telling Peter Jenkins, who managed several syndicated horses in his stable, that he wanted to buy a stallion.
Peter recalls "I told him he was nuts, that he was better to stick to training but he persisted and Heatherlea Park was a nice property with lots of boxes and good acreage." Peter helped Craig to sort out two stallions from several he was offered: Victory Dance and Mi Preferido (who eventually went to Wedgewood Stud).

Peter says "I preferred Victory Dance because if your budget is limited you're better to go for pedigree rather than performance. New Zealand has such a good record of success with well-bred but humbly-performed stallions like Battle-Waggon, Mellay, Noble Bijou and Sir Tristram."

"I really, really liked Sadler's Wells, had studied him a lot and thought he'd make it at stud. Craig inspected Mi Preferido and Victory Dance in California and liked Victory Dance better on type. We loved him as soon as we saw him, he's a classy animal with size and strength which probably comes from his damsire Sassafras who was always under-rated as a racehorse and as a stallion."
A few weeks after Craig Ivil purchased Victory Dance, his half-brother champion US turf horse Theatrical came up with the first of his fifty-plus stakeswinners.

Peter then set about trying to find suitable mares for the horse. A dedicated student of pedigrees and early member of the Levin Breeders Forum, he was especially keen on mares with deep lines of the Bend Or/Macaroni cross. Victory Dance's first book of 74 mares produced Australian Group 3 winner Mr Victory, Group One-placed Anemos and stakes-placed Vanity Flight.
Peter comments "It has surprised me that he gets 1200-metre horses but Theatrical was similar: a middle-distance performer who could get sprinters."

After two seasons at Heatherlea Park, Victory Dance was transferred to the Holmes family's Grande Vue Lodge, Matamata where he stood from 1993 to 1997 at a fee of $3,000. Allan Holmes says "We worked hard to get mares for him and he got reasonable patronage. He was a lovely horse to work with, we never had a problem with him and he left us lovely, correct horses with size and style that just needed a bit of time to mature."
"We have several nice fillies by him for our broodmare band and we're proud to have them. He leaves the type of horse New Zealand can be proud of and we wish Rich Hill all the best with him this year."

In 1998 Victory Dance returned to the Central Districts, standing two seasons at Sovereign Lodge for Mike Ford and Roger Sugrue. Mike's untimely death in May 1999 left Roger to manage him for the following stud season. Andrew and Melanie Davies took over for the 2000 season before Victory Dance's current ownership was finalised.

With eight crops of racing age and eight stakeswinners, including recently retired dual Group One winner Cinder Bella, among his 94 winners from 164 starters, he is finally receiving recognition for his hard-earned success. As Peter Jenkins says, "You'll be hard-pressed to find anyone with a bad word to say about Victory Dance."

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

Here's a few memories for you PJ

Meanwhile, at Heatherlea Park near Levin, trainer Craig Ivil was telling Peter Jenkins, who managed several syndicated horses in his stable, that he wanted to buy a stallion.
Peter recalls "I told him he was nuts, that he was better to stick to training but he persisted and Heatherlea Park was a nice property with lots of boxes and good acreage." Peter helped Craig to sort out two stallions from several he was offered: Victory Dance and Mi Preferido (who eventually went to Wedgewood Stud).

Some prehistoric history there buddy......

14 minutes ago, LookingForValue said:

Taksan & Arwon 1978 Caulfield Cup. John Duggan and Ron Quinton

Correct LFV. What gave it away ?

Taksan by Kazakstaan who stood at Balcarres Stud. He was a grey by Mellay's sire Never Say Die

Arwon was by the poorly performed sire Aritzo who stood at Wallace's Gelncairn Stud and was a son of Oncidium's sir Alcide.

The other sires in the beaten brigade that day was Marceau (later of Cambridge Stud) and Lefroy.

1 hour ago, PWJ said:

Correct LFV. What gave it away ?

Taksan by Kazakstaan who stood at Balcarres Stud. He was a grey by Mellay's sire Never Say Die

Arwon was by the poorly performed sire Aritzo who stood at Wallace's Gelncairn Stud and was a son of Oncidium's sir Alcide.

The other sires in the beaten brigade that day was Marceau (later of Cambridge Stud) and Lefroy.

My background knowledge seems to have improved since my second 5G Astra Zeneca  jab. 

• Haha 4

On 10/19/2021 at 3:50 PM, von Smallhaussen said:

Did Kazakstaan end up standing at Fairdale just out of Palmerston North?

Don't think so VS. he was exported to Oz in 1980. You could be thinking of Khairpour, the grey stallion that Gary Chittick stood at Longburn, just around the corner from fairdale.

• 3 months later...

Here's a MONDAY Trivia for you keen kiwi racers.

My favourite Jockey aboard landing me a big memorable quinella win. Only paddled around with TB's for a few months once, and this bloke riding won for me at Caloundra. 

Theres a good 'kiwi' connection going on in this great moment. 

Who are we seeing here  with the 2 horses and jocks ??  ( PJ ,you are barred  as too easy for you lol ) 

New Zealand horse "Jezabeel" with jockey Chris Munce aboard hits the...  News Photo - Getty Images

1 minute ago, Double R said:

Jezabeel ridden by Chris Munce.

Champagne ridden by Glen Boss.

🍾🍾 well done Robert. pop the champers  !!!!

The Boss man (another fine Queenslander ) getting primed for his big day(s) out with the Diva in years following this exciting finish. The Munster taking MC glory !!!!

What's the ' kiwi 'connection then ??  ( you are barred now Robert and PJ allowed back in lol..... ) 🍾