The Race Place

The A-Z of Harness Racing Great Horses you might remember.

Lightning Blue

16 minutes ago, Blackie said:

What a mess!

There's one other person I can think of who sat behind him including the above that DoubleR Identified.

The Master P T WOLFENDEN (9 drives in '74) 7wins 2 thirds

Also Bob Cameron 2 doz drives

Doody Townley 1 drive

Edited by Josias
add spelling
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Blackie said:

What a mess!

There's one other person I can think of who sat behind him including the above that DoubleR Identified.

I believe that is one Mr Peter Wolfenden !! wearing the Gold Bands of Young Quinn , with Robalan following him up and going on by in the home straight of the NZ Cup . Quinny finished 3rd.

DSC02685.JPG

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Josias going close to defeating Lightning Blue there, but LB not to be denied , has spelt Wolfie's name correctly

You got me there LB..I should have known that!

Played cricket with his driving sons Glen & Ross.They Both Won on one of my first horses End The Battle.

Think Ross had last winning drive here before USA Sojourn,never to return.Last year Ross drove his 7000th Winner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Josias said:

You got me there LB..I should have known that!

Played cricket with his driving sons Glen & Ross.They Both Won on one of my first horses End The Battle.

Think Ross had last winning drive here before USA Sojourn,never to return.Last year Ross drove his 7000th Winner.

I think it put the industry under a lot of pressure (especially the north) as with many of the Top families next generation going overseas the Big names drop off (and you do need Big names to keep things popular and in public eye a little ) 

If you haven't got HISTORY , what have you got ???     (the reason I did this thread actually)

The Wolfendens being overseas all that time , the young Herlihy (michael) as well, Nathan Purdon to Aus along with the Butt brothers, and Dexter to the states. a Huge Loss that can't be replaced ...... 

Aus lost 2 of the McCarthy brothers Andy and Todd to the states  (2 of the countries best horsemen) , but luckily one has stayed in Aus (Luke) to keep things ticking over. (His stable with good win last night too Ballarat Cup)

• Like 2

Okay, one point for spelling Wolfman’s name correctly, have to get you away from the mark somehow🥱. Looks like Josias got in quick before I could mark, sure you’re  not an Aussie Josias?

Love the extremes of your monikers LB,  from Angry Bird to Mel Gibson?

• Haha 2

Agree with above.

All the old families under pressure, just not the same interest as a career pathway or economically for younger people. Land values sky high, all getting gobbled up and subdivided. Less & less of a foal crop. Man, look at those crowds at Addington & Harold Park with Quinny going around. 
No silver bullet answer, only the real enthusiasts left it seems.

I’m forever the optimist but it all feels very much like a sunset industry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A small bit of Trivia about Young Quinn. Firstly,  he was my all time fav .  I backed him at his first start in 1972,when I think Baynes was driving him and they thought he would go a nice race against some stiff opposition but weren't expecting miracles. Well Qunnie wasn't to be denied and got up to beat Marc Bohan showing all the tenacity he would go on to produce.

The bit of trivia is that he had a small patch on the right side of his snout which would glow a pink color when he was in the groove and at the top of his condition. In 1975 it must have been pink for a long time. Phenomenal year of pacing from the second best pacer to come out of NZ, after the great Cardy.

Who could forget him running 4th in the Auckland Cup at 10 and with only one leadup race. Mighty ,mighty horse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

The bit of trivia is that he had a small patch on the right side of his snout which would glow a pink color when he was in the groove and at the top of his condition. In 1975 it must have been pink for a long time. Phenomenal year of pacing from the second best pacer to come out of NZ, after the great Cardy

Here's your Boy with his blemish. What a fine competitor. 

DSC02686.JPG

• Thanks 2

Just now, Lightning Blue said:

We should ALL PUT IN A TOP 3 ?  from ALL these pages of greats that you like and Why ...........

I'm going with Rees choice and CARDIGAN BAY for the top gong.    (2 more to follow for me as I decide).

My personal criteria for best means they should be able to a)  Win the 5 race GRAND SLAM, smack the Aussies, Bash the Americans, win over a million $$ (to prove longitivity racing)  and overcome adversity lol.  

GRAND SLAM = Interdominion GF, NZ Cup, Miracle Mile in NSW , NZ FFA and Auckland Cup. !!! 5 nice trophies.

Cardigan Bay did all that  !!!  (he was racing down-under just prior to Miracle Mile starting 1968) so missed that one.

Travelled every where , busted a hip , came back again , still kept winning (taking on Bret Hanover no less) 

Best of the Best !!!

Simple .

1  Cardigan Bay  ( never to be repeated in so many ways, so stands the test of time)

2  Young Quinn    (Competed with distinction against the best in USA , and a Champ here as well.)

3  Blacks a Fake. (tenacious horse under pressure, just kept on coming,4 wins and a second in the Inters Finals,says it all).Yep, an Aussie.:classic_smile:

Edited by Globederby19
  • Like 3

Okay, all NZers but no way diminishes the Aussies cause didn’t really follow.

# 1 Cardigan Bay - did it all, what a trail blazer. Jumped a generation, what a stride.Winning off back marks when they were a thing. Taking on the Yanks and beating them on their own soil. 1st to a million. When PTW says he was the best, take note. 

# 2 Young Quinn - a true champion, pretty much another CB, versatile, 2-10 yr old.

# 3 Lord Module - an excitement machine, one of those horses we made the effort to travel to see, would kill anything for speed at his peak.

I’d love to have these three running for me against all comers

My 10 cents worth

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

Simple .

1  Cardigan Bay  ( never to be repeated in so many ways, so stands the test of time)

2  Young Quinn    (Competed with distinction against the best in USA , and a Champ here as well.)

3  Blacks a Fake. (tenacious horse under pressure, just kept on coming,4 wins and a second in the Inters Finals,says it all).Yep, an Aussie.:classic_smile:

excellent choices . Quinny beating the best in Oz too,  in an amazing Miracle Mile win from outside alley.

CADUCEUS with his huge efforts and great record in NZ and Aus goes close, but didn't quite smash the Americans like your Top 2 did for a few seasons. so just misses out on my list.......... Same for LAZARUS. 

1) Cardigan Bay       ( for all the reasons above)

2) Christen Me        ( won most of the GrandSlam, beat up Aussies and Yanks, had Allstars to contend with too)

3) Lyell Creek         ( quite a string of wins , but trotters like Maoris Idol and Sundees Son can do that, but he went to take on Europe and USA so is a 'World Champion' like Cardy )

• Like 2

My Top 3 will be from 70s Decade onwards when I was oncourse to see. 

1.YOUNG QUINN..the first horse I saw deserving accolade of CHAMPION Status.

I lost my voice each night of Interdom Heats & Final in 75 when having to outscream Aussie Tour Group 'standing in my spot'.

2.DELIGHTFUL LADY..got chills down my spine whenever MJ (Stormont) set her alight down the back straight,to the roar of the crowd,and Reg Clapp's voice rising an octave!

3.LAZARUS..the best local horse of The New Millenium that also performed on Aussie/USA Tracks.

4.THEMIGHTYQUINN..to give an Aussie Flavour..the most recent in my memory bank.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

Split it up into Pacers and Trotters LB. Make it interesting, and fairer. 

ok then    1) Cardigan Bay    2 ) Christen Me

3 ) Chokin

There's a surprise for you all lol . Rate him highly . Named as a NZ horse of the year Twice !!  as a 2 yearold. Sires stakes winner at 3 , good enough to go in The Miracle Mile as a 3 year old ? fell though unfortunately, and back better than ever to win Messenger at 4,  2 x Miracle Miles (making up for the fail) the NZ Cup , NZ FFA, Vic Cup and AKLD CUP x 2.  2nd in Interdom. ...

First horse to break 4.00 min for the 2 miles ever,  in one Auckland Cup win.  15 group 1's. he's a sharp one.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1