The Race Place

The A-Z of Harness Racing Great Horses you might remember.

Lightning Blue

7 minutes ago, far too much said:

is he not training horses anymore Kevin? must be ticking on now he be nearly 100?

Kevin Fairbairn has continued to train winners each season since Whatsundermykilt.

Last Season Two Winners **Magical Mali & He's A Casanova,both at Addington.😀

2 hours ago, Lightning Blue said:

hahahaha.... you had me diving for my breeding charts sire lines Globe Derby !!!! 

Seems You are officially the 'oldest Australian' on this thread afterall ??  lol.....

DSC02681.JPG

Interesting name on that sheet LB. APMAT. Very very good horse in Australia, who I think paved the way to the States for horses like Cardigan Bay to end up running in the big races . He won at Roosevelt and another track as well.  Also won in Wales I think. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

Interesting name on that sheet LB. APMAT. Very very good horse in Australia, who I think paved the way to the States for horses like Cardigan Bay to end up running in the big races . He won at Roosevelt and another track as well.  Also won in Wales I think. 

Nice horse GD. The great grandson of Walla Walla being 'APMAT'. unknown to all but you in Nz,  I would think.  He was a beauty in Australia. Our equal of fabulous kiwi's Caduceus and False Step. 

APMAT Ran 2nd to CADUCEUS  in that famous Harold Park (with 50,000 jam packed crowd ) Interdominion Win 1960..

unsuccessful protest too !! Sydney would of been 'torched by angry mobs'  if they took that race off Caduceus lol.....

Both horses travelled to USA to take on the Americans , and APMAT the great Aussie Won the 2 Group 1's !! 

Sensational effort to beat USA champ 'Bye Bye Bird ' in the International Pace , and beat NZ Champ FALSE STEP ( 2nd in the Good time Pace) for a stunning 'Down-Under ' Quinella to silence the Americans for a bit lol.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Double R said:

Young Quinn.

Young Charles

Yulestar.

Young Cardigan.

Young Eden.

Young Mister Charles.

Three Interdominion winners there Robert as you kick off solidly.

Young Mister Charles placed in the 1995 Interdominion Final at Christchurch but DQed for a positive, then went over to Perth to take the Grand Final win the following year . sweet redemption for him..

When YULESTAR won in Brisbane the place was jam packed . I was at that one. Courage Under Fire was the hot favourite. But Yulestar made the 'impossible' possible , by flashing home from 4 back along the rail at the 1/4 mile to take the GF Win.

Young Quinn , sweeping all 3 heats and Grand Final at Auckland 1975. Perhaps you were at that one ???

1 minute ago, Lightning Blue said:

Three Interdominion winners there Robert as you kick off solidly.

Young Mister Charles placed in the 1995 Interdominion Final at Christchurch but DQed for a positive, then went over to Perth to take the Grand Final win the following year . sweet redemption for him..

When YULESTAR won in Brisbane the place was jam packed . I was at that one. Courage Under Fire was the hot favourite. But Yulestar made the 'impossible' possible , by flashing home from 4 back along the rail at the 1/4 mile to take the GF Win.

Young Quinn , sweeping all 3 heats and Grand Final at Auckland 1975. Perhaps you were at that one ???

Hi LB.

I have only been to a few Interdomions.

1965. Dunedin.

1971. Christchurch.

1979. Christchurch.

1983. Auckland.

1986. Brisbane.

1987. Christchurch.

1995. Christchurch.

2002. Sydney.

I am sure not as many as some others.

3 minutes ago, Double R said:

Hi LB.

I have only been to a few Interdomions.

1965. Dunedin.

1971. Christchurch.

1979. Christchurch.

1983. Auckland.

1986. Brisbane.

1987. Christchurch.

1995. Christchurch.

2002. Sydney.

I am sure not as many as some others.

That would be way more than most Robert >>>>>>>>>> but oh no...

You're on a NZ win drought though !!! ....  the last 5 of your list being Aussie wins. 

but have seen some rip snorting wins !!!!. Gammalite and Lightning Blue a true highlight for you no doubt. A shame you missed Quinny then (and Yulestar ) for patriotic support.  My last was Blacks A Fake so very impressive.

• Like 1

image.png.777af9cdded8fe0895b3bb9988efb10b.png

Here he is, maybe should have been under the letter 'G', that was what his nick name was, Garbage cause he use to eat everything, sign of a good horse. Manfred Mann got it right. Top of the tree this guy.

Here's one for you LB.

Young Quinn = Charlie Hunter

Who else has  trained or drove Garbage, that he made them all look good?

I think he did it all with one club foot as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWs9JojwucA&ab_channel=harnessdom

Edited by Blackie

17 minutes ago, Blackie said:

I think Jim O'Sullivan would be fined for excessive use in LB's win in ChCh nowdays....now there's an understatement. At least you knew he was trying. Just like Bruce Clarke on Gammalite in Auckland, wow, different times then.

Hahaha don't worry . they weren't hurt at all. They were good tough stallions !! and a few whacks on the bum ain't gunna bother them too much. Stallions do Far far worse things (That really do hurt) to each other given half a chance. ....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Blackie said:

image.png.777af9cdded8fe0895b3bb9988efb10b.png

Here he is, maybe should have been under the letter 'G', that was what his nick name was, Garbage cause he use to eat everything, sign of a good horse. Manfred Mann got it right. Top of the tree this guy.

Here's one for you LB.

Who else has  trained or driven Garbage, that he made them all look good?

I think he did it all with one club foot as well.

I throw in a three of lesser knowns who trained or drove Young Quinn.

Robert Baynes, Clem Scott, and Doug McNaught.

Edited by Double R
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Here's one for you LB.

Who else has  trained or driven Garbage, that he made them all look good?

Thats an easy one ! Charlie was involved in a crash (that's the residue damage parked at the stables Alex Park) and then end up like his photo there with broken arm .

So Johnny Langdon , his deputy,  takes the reins, and the Auckland Interdominion glory instead with Garbage. (and the trotter too)

DSC02683.JPG

DSC02684.JPG

• Like 1