The Race Place

The A-Z of Harness Racing Great Horses you might remember.

Lightning Blue

Possibly the greatest Harness Horse to thunder around the tracks for many years was 'V' for VILLAGE KID.

They even wrote a published book about him! , so you are pretty good to get that honour for 'Willie'. 93 wins from 160 starts.

The first horse to reach $2 million in prizemoney, purchased after 4 Nz wins for just $40k in the 1980's .

Today 35 years later , West Aussies are STILL raiding Nz shores looking for the next Village Kid. The leading Trainers in WA,   Hall and Bond stables to this very day are Full of great kiwi horses past and present .

But VILLAGE KID  (just like GAMMALITE was too) was trained by a 'One horse wonder' trainer, so those 2 horses overcoming the 'adversity' of NOT being in a Big Professional Stable , are my 2 Top favourites ever, for their deeds.!!!! (roughly 90 wins each and 15 Group 1 's each)  ..... Viva La Victory !!

The Village Kid Story (as related By Bill Horn) by Parker, Alan: Very Good  Pictorial Card Covers (1996) First Edition. | Taipan Books

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Field Commander said:

Victoria Star & Yulestar

Too good !! I'm nearly All out of Ammo , and haven't scored yet with FC, Blackie and Double R cleaning me out. although I nearly out-TUSSLEd Robert lol. 

Here's a desparate late bid for Tasmanian LB glory. !!!!!!!!!

What is going on here in this photo ?  The placegetters are important too !! who are they ? Who are the best sons  of those 2 horses who are in the Top 10 ever horses ever bred in En zed. ?

So I want five horses names lol..  It's high noon here and No answer by the time the amateurs go around ,It's LB victory !!

DSC02677.JPG

29 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Too good !! I'm nearly All out of Ammo , and haven't scored yet with FC, Blackie and Double R cleaning me out. although I nearly out-TUSSLEd Robert lol. 

Here's a desparate late bid for Tasmanian LB glory. !!!!!!!!!

What is going on here in this photo ?  The placegetters are important too !! who are they ? Who are the best sons  of those 2 horses who are in the Top 10 ever horses ever bred in En zed. ?

So I want five horses names lol..  It's high noon here and No answer by the time the amateurs go around ,It's LB victory !!

DSC02677.JPG

Van Dieman, Johhny Globe, Single Direct, Vanderford, and Lordship.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Blackie said:

That's Tassie with his distinctive style getting Van Dieman home over Johnny Globe & Single Direct

Van Dieman - Vanadium?

Johnny Globe - Lordship

How am I batting?

Not too bad.    Batting at 60% success rate, a bit like a lot of good kiwi cricketers lol.

Van Dieman's Land was the original dutch name for Tasmania. Cecil's homeland too .

Here we have VAN DIEMAN winning the 1951 NZ cup over Johnny Globe, .   Lordship his fine son taking 2 Nz Cups.

Everyone missed the 3rd horse so far . He ran another place when Johnny Globe Won his Cup 3 years later. He , and his Very famous son would appear on Sunday , the last day of the A-Z greats amongst the YZ 's !! 

DSC02677.JPG

DSC02679.JPG

Edited by Lightning Blue

14 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Not too bad.    Batting at 60% success rate, a bit like a lot of good kiwi cricketers lol.

Van Dieman's Land was the original dutch name for Tasmania. Cecil's homeland too .

Here we have VAN DIEMAN winning the 1951 NZ cup over Johnny Globe, .   Lordship his fine son taking 2 Nz Cups.

Everyone missed the 3rd horse so far . He ran another place when Johnny Globe Won his Cup 3 years later. He , and his Very famous son would appear on Sunday , the last day of the A-Z greats amongst the YZ 's !! 

DSC02677.JPG

DSC02679.JPG

Third Horse was Young Charles, sire of Young Quinn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1