The Race Place

The A-Z of Harness Racing Great Horses you might remember.

Lightning Blue

5 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

Hey LB. We should go back to the beginning and come up with some that have never been mentioned.

Should get the tin of worms working.:classic_smile:

Wow , I just had a glance over some of the pages of this thread , and what an awesome line-up . I really enjoyed reading my books, charts , clippings and all that again. Is a great sport.

'Young Quinn' day today for YZ , ( so he beat up on our Team Lyell Creek as well in the harness comp today as it panned out to celebrate lol. you had great score though )  Don't think Quinney would ever let a trotter beat him ........

Thought you might be interested in how well Young Quinn' did in America , so have tried to snapshot to post (might be crap photos as night-time now and I can't see a thing ) but in 75' and 76 ' he was giving it to em. hardly ever missed a place and about 20 wins. Cardigan Bay Mk II .......

DSC02688.JPG

DSC02689.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Adio Routine.

Adios Adieu.

Adios Bachelor.

Author

Angela Patron.

About Time.

Astro Blue.

Aurum Bay.

Agent Mulder.

Alpine Fella.

Arveeae.

Anvil's Fella.

Anvil James.

Anvil Lad.

Ashley Knight.

Alice in Wonderland.

Almetos.

Armbro Del.

Akebas.

Armbro Free.

Armbro Lady.

Armiss.

• Like 1

B's.

Bachelor Hanover.

Bettor's Strike.

Bailey's Dream.

Bachelor Blue.

Boy Friend.

Bambi.

Black Frost.

Barrhill.

Brabham.

Blossom Lady.

Bold Sharvid.

Borana.

Bonnie's Chance.

Biotic Chance.

Blue Dawn.

Blue Prince.

Black Prince.

Blacks A Fake.

Bob Again

Bobinett.

Bramble Hill.

Bomber Bill.

Bad Luck.

Best Bet.

Bravine.

Bass Strait.

Bee Bee Cee.

Bradshaw.

Bogan Fella.

Bondy.

Beau Winter.

Borrowed Time.

Breton Abee.

Buster Hanover.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sir Gallivant said:

Hi folk,

Not sure if anyone is about but I have 2 questions 2 ask,

1)   Does anyone recall who the owner/trainer/driver of a horse called Bonjour ?

2)  How many remember the days of brackets , one of my favourite combinations was Wag & Tony Bear,?  those were the days with huge fields.  

Hi Rex

Do you mean Bonjour  (Plat du Jour/Western Winner?) - owned by Kenwood Stud, and Charlie Hunter trained him with Garry Smith before Garry went out on his own.  Maurice McK drove him mostly.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sir Gallivant said:

Hi folk,

Not sure if anyone is about but I have 2 questions 2 ask,

1)   Does anyone recall who the owner/trainer/driver of a horse called Bonjour ?

2)  How many remember the days of brackets , one of my favourite combinations was Wag & Tony Bear,?  those were the days with huge fields.  

Hi Rex.

There were two Bonjour. One raced in the 1960's and one in the 1980's. What one would you be asking about?

Yes, I remember the brackets. I think it used to be Johnny Gee and Tony Bear.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Purple Parsnip said:

nly just, were the TAB agency tickets handwritten on yellow paper

Sure were. Started getting mine at the Kilbirnie TAB, way under age and with my Rongotai College uniform on but no one bothered. Good days . 

Brodie would have loved it as if you won big you weren't banned. 🤣

Not that I won big with 50c doubles.:classic_smile:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Globederby19 said:

Correct. At Hutt Park in the sixty's ,most fields were full of brkted horses., Gave one a better chance of a return but at reduced odds. Never found out why they did that apart from same stable horses.

I think it was an integrity thing, even way back in the 60's and 70's, and took away the perception for the punter, if the rougher one of the stable horses won.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

Sure were. Started getting mine at the Kilbirnie TAB, way under age and with my Rongotai College uniform on but no one bothered. Good days . 

Brodie would have loved it as if you won big you weren't banned. 🤣

Not that I won big with 50c doubles.:classic_smile:

Doubles were the type of bets in those days that were popular, as you could get a healthy return, if you struck one.

Edited by Double R
  • Like 1

Thankyou Thankyou, Charlie Hunter  is right, you see this is we as a family got semi involved in racing, one night coming home from Alex Park, Charlie , Bonjour and car/float ended up on our front lawn when i was 7-8 years old !!!

From then on apart fro, repairing the fence and lawn Charkie always sent mum tickets to cambridge and alex park for the family, and at times he was a notable tipster lol.

My very first bet was on a horse at cambridge one night called Governor Frost off some ridiculous mark 64 - 72 yards behind i either made a shilling or 10 cents , that what the win divvie was.

Yes the yellow tickets , i would sneak away , stand outside tab , and get known customers to put bets on for me 😁

• Like 3