The Race Place

Front running horses in the days gone by

Double R

14 minutes ago, Freda said:

Sunline

Might and Power

Hi Freda.

Do you remember if Magellan that Helen Preston had was a front runner?

I think Greek Magic, and Brutus, that Ray Harris had were, but stand corrected.

Edited by Double R

18 minutes ago, Dancing Show said:

Could very well have been 🙂   He used to try so hard, and stretch out so much that his nose would go down to nearly ground level 🙂 

Talking about Trentham Maria.

What about those Peter Louie horses, I think that is how you spelt his surname, they would have awful form, and then bang, they would perform out of their skin. He was obviously a very skilled, and cunning trainer.

3 hours ago, Double R said:

What about those Peter Louie horses, I think that is how you spelt his surname, they would have awful form, and then bang, they would perform out of their skin. He was obviously a very skilled, and cunning trainer.

Yes he had some good people working for him and riding trackwork over the years which I think helped him out and of course back then we had local identities like the Stammers, Barr, Moynihan and Wylie brigade there with their horses to contribute their sage advice 🙂  I think even Patsy Riley and Bill Wylie's daughter may have done some trackwork riding for him at one stage.   He had his stables set up in Tararua Street, right in the middle of the Trentham metropolis, half the urban street about 300m was lined with a high corrugated iron fence like a gang headquarters 🙂 

4 hours ago, Double R said:

Peter Louis was the spelling I think - I would love to hear A Rod interview him 😉 He could swear like no one else 🙂 

• Like 1