The Race Place

Front running horses in the days gone by

Double R

15 minutes ago, von Smallhaussen said:

Peter Louis was the spelling I think - I would love to hear A Rod interview him 😉 He could swear like no one else 🙂 

Frank Stammers was his track rider for many years and he and Peter set them up for “the punt” and oh boy did they punt and very rarely failed

Frank inherited Peters colours Gold red hooped sleeves. Frank recently passed and had moderate success out of a Wairarapa base, mainly thru Kalgoorlie Bomber and yes the punt continued.

Louis one of the great characters of our racing history, and his punts were on course and every SP pub bookie in Welly who were cleaned out many times

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Double R said:

I will start the ball rolling.

You're always a strong Front-runner Robert .😁

As far as horses go . Anything that barrels along in front and can still hang on from the Alligator and Mr Brightside who's winning everything , gets my vote .

She (Pride of Jenni) could be an 'All Star Mile' champion shortly . 

alligator-blood-mr-brightside-chase-home-pride-of-jenni-1705873593_1352x900.thumb.jpg.4e45427a6b7dc2a0c3b27f9942cd3ee7.jpg

7 hours ago, Double R said:

Hi Freda.

Do you remember if Magellan that Helen Preston had was a front runner?

I think Greek Magic, and Brutus, that Ray Harris had were, but stand corrected.

Yes, I'd forgotten him, a very smart front runner .

Watched a video of him with Tito Poblete up, smoothly switching the whip at every stride.  Pure class.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Freda said:

Yes, I'd forgotten him, a very smart front runner .

Watched a video of him with Tito Poblete up, smoothly switching the whip at every stride.  Pure class.

The Kerr's(I think it was Dave, and Jan) always had a good horse around them Freda.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Buller Rep said:

Green Street trained by Noel Eales. Not a champion but damn hard to get past sometimes. 

Thanks Buller Rep.

I think Noel trained Varnamo, who was a front runner too.

• Like 1

Turn me Loose wasn't a shy front runner from memory.   There have also been some wonderful front runners especially by the lovely broodmare Parfore - Ball of Muscle, Terravista, Super Easy at times .. 

Mummify pulls at the heart strings if going trans tasman,  and another Trentham fave winter runner, Curiosity 🙂 

1 hour ago, Double R said:

Watch Officer.

Point Duty.

Some Light.

Red Sash.

The great Uncle Remus often cleared out in front for Bobby Vance in his big 3 year old year. what a ripper combo they were. 

A winner of the Nz Derby that year too, (with this years Derby addition on today as well ).  

Beaten in the Great Northern Guinea's because got too far back , Jillo said "we'll lead from the front from now on " and went on a BIG Uncle Remus 10 wins in succession run. 

The domination of Uncle Remus in the lead up races to the Derby was so complete, that great things were expected of him, and he did not disappoint.  When he raced clear at the top of the straight, the entire crowd packing the top tier of the old public stand, just stood and applauded him the entire length of the Ellerslie straight as he raced to an easy win by many lengths.

That was the only time I can ever recall a horse being given a reception like that on a racecourse in NZ

That was when I used to go to the races lol

Bob Vance posts on Racecafe as Turnip Orange.  Someone may want to ask him of his recollections of that day and that race

Uncle Remus

He won 13 of his 15 starts as a three-year-old and had excuses for his two defeats.

He was late clear when a luckless second in the Great Northern Guineas and then won 10 races in a row, before the wind affliction started to tell when he finished third in the International Stakes at Te Rapa, in his last run for the season.

He dominated his age-group and also beat the older horses at weight-for-age. He won black type races from 1200m to 2400m and completed the NZ Two Thousand Guineas-NZ Derby double.

Since the classic races were restructured in 1973, only four other horses - Fury’s Order, Balmerino, Surfers Paradise and Jimmy Choux – have won both the 2000 Guineas and NZ Derby.

Uncle Remus also won the Wellington Derby, Wellington Guineas, Wellington Stakes, Avondale Guineas and Cambridge Breeders’ Stakes and beat the older horses in the Canterbury Gold Cup, Thames Valley Stakes, Clifford Plate and Rotorua Challenge Stakes.

He often set the pace and was rarely seriously challenged that term, with five of his wins coming by three lengths or further.

No New Zealand-trained horse since has managed 13 wins in a season.

Uncle Remus.jpg

• Thanks 1

Guest Geez Wayne
On 3/1/2024 at 9:07 PM, Buller Rep said:

Green Street trained by Noel Eales. Not a champion but damn hard to get past sometimes. 

Responsible for some very impressive 2200 m particularly at Avondale