The Race Place

Catalyst

pete

Yes

As much as I hate to say it, that has well and truly burst Catalyst's bubble, which is a big big shame

He couldn't beat Alligator Blood, and also some of those hardened older sprinter/milers on that run

Perhaps there is a legitimate reason for the poor run, let's hope so

11 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Yes

As much as I hate to say it, that has well and truly burst Catalyst's bubble, which is a big big shame

He couldn't beat Alligator Blood, and also some of those hardened older sprinter/milers on that run

Perhaps there is a legitimate reason for the poor run, let's hope so

Being charitable he has been up quite a while and the last run was a gut buster.

6TH

CATALYST

DAMIAN LANE

The race shape turned out terrible for him. When they backed off the tempo, it put him in a sticky spot and he just raced a little greenly when I asked him. I just feel he didn’t lengthen as well (as he could). We’ll see how he pulls up and go from there but he just might need the blinkers back on.

3 hours ago, pete said:

Being charitable he has been up quite a while and the last run was a gut buster.

funny how no-one in the Catalyst camp (or outside) said that before this evening, mate. Unless he has a very very good physiological explanation (eg nobbled, Suzie The Cook works at the stables, bloods were 'off', etc)  it was hugely disappointing effort. The one guy prob having a wry smile right now is Troy Harris (5 rides, 5 wins on him)

Breathtaking win by AB. All kudos to him and his connections.

MM

7 hours ago, mardigras said:

It's incredible to see how the Australasian people think. If something doesn't go to plan, try some gear. Gear - used so infrequently in the UK compared to here. He's run faster without blinkers than he ever has with them on. Nuts.

Blinkers are amazing. They can fix sore legs, viruses, horses over the top and even make slow ones faster.

Catalyst (NZ) Hung in under pressure in the straight. Rider Damian Lane reported the race was not run to suit his mount and in his opinion, the gelding would be better suited racing in blinkers. A post-race veterinary examination failed to reveal any obvious abnormality and a sample was taken for analysis.

Frankly, I didn't think it was a bad run. He's been beaten at 1600 about 4 lengths by a very good horse. Seemed to get to the line ok after being under pressure in the straight. Was it really a sub-par performance? Or is he maybe not quite as good as some think?

Edited by curious

I think what people have forgotten is that the Aussie 3yr olds are a very good crop ,which puts into perspective how good AB is. D Lanes comments that the race wasn't run to suit,tells me that ...

(1)AB got an easier  run than it looked!

(2)Jockeys need to wake up and have a plan b, it's a Grp 1 for christ's sake.

(3)AB is exceptionally  good and would be lorded as a champ if he was from NSW or Vic.

I'm with option 3, as I think you could  run that race 10 times and the results would still be the same. As for the  race yesterday it's  all of the above!

Hesi, agree re action of Catalyst ,he was moving into the race nicely when his action went.First bet in Aus this year was e/w on Soul Patch (got my money back)he was great value  I thought and is tough, looking forward to  him getting over 2000m.

Edited by Midnight Caller
  • Like 1

Racing: Catalyst pressing on to All Star Mile

2 Mar, 2020 5:00am
 Quick Read
All Star Mile hopeful Catalyst with trainer Clayton Chipperfield. Photo / Pat Scala / Racing Photos
All Star Mile hopeful Catalyst with trainer Clayton Chipperfield. Photo / Pat Scala / Racing Photos
NZ Herald

Kiwi trainer Clayton Chipperfield isn't giving up yet after Catalyst got lost in the A$1 million Australian Guineas on Saturday.

The exceptional gelding raced well below his best, lost his stride and his concentration before dropping out to run sixth behind Alligator Blood.

"The race pattern didn't suit but we all know he is better than that," said Chipperfield.

"He just lost his concentration and was gawking around too much.

"So we will see how he is in a few days but press on to the All Star Mile and put the hood back on to make him concentrate."

I have no issue with putting gear on. It is no magic elixir - it should be to address an issue the horse has. I certainly didn't notice the horse losing concentration and gawking around. I did notice him being under pressure.

Some horses require some gear to perform at their best. Some don't. Based on his performances to date, I'd say blinkers make no real difference. If he came out and won, they'd be claiming they were the difference. His run wasn't that bad on Saturday. Just not up to it on the day.

• Like 1

I tend to think that the stropping up he got last time out may have hurt him more than thought.  He has been carefully and sympathetically handled to date,  and might be a bit on the 'soft' side?   Those top Aussie horses are toughness personified...and the Darci Brahma's don't - yet - step up to the best over there.

• Like 1

Catalyst still on target for All-Star Mile

Sunday, 1 March, 2020 - 15:30

Trainer Clayton Chipperfield is firm in his belief that star three-year-old Catalyst can bounce back to his best in the A$5 million All-Star Mile (1600m) in a fortnight despite suffering a heavy defeat in the Gr.1 Australian Guineas (1600m) at Flemington.

The Darci Brahma gelding weakened noticeably in the concluding stages on Saturday after lodging a likely challenge at the 300m mark, with Chipperfield and jockey Damian Lane believing a return to racing in blinkers is now a must for the horse.

"The race just wasn’t run to suit with the outsider (Commodus) going around us and slowing up the pace made us hang on a bit too much," Chipperfield said.

"When we needed to finish it off in the last bit he started looking around at the horses beside him so the jockey (Lane) came back in and said he needed the hood to go back on.

"He will definitely race in the hood next start and most likely for the rest of his life.

"I know there have been some comments that said he looked like he was hanging or suchlike but that wasn’t the case as he was just having a gawk around.

"I think it was inexperience as he hasn’t had horses around him going past him like that as he is normally the one going past them, so he was wondering what was going on."

Chipperfield spent time with the horse on Sunday morning before heading home to New Zealand and was pleased with what he saw.

"He was running around his paddock on Sunday morning, happy as Larry without a care in the world so I was pleased about that," he said.

"He left about two handfuls of feed last night, so that wasn’t anything out of the ordinary.

"He also had the vets give him a good going over after the race and he passed their tests perfectly. "They took some blood off him which we won’t know about for a couple of days, but he is as bright as a button today and we will keep a good eye on him over the next 48 hours."

Chipperfield has Catalyst staying at ex-pat kiwi Brett Scott’s Mornington property and will get a report from Scott during the week before flying back to Melbourne on Friday for the lead-up to the All-Star Mile at Caulfield on March 14.

"Scotty is going to give him a trot up tomorrow (Monday) and let me know how he feels while Robert (Priscott) is coming over today (Sunday) to be with him until I get back next Friday," Chipperfield said.

"If Robert and Scotty are happy, we will push on to the All-Star.

"Damian (Lane) will gallop him and we might even take him to Caulfield for a look around during the week.

"If we had an issue, we would be on the next plane home as the welfare of the horse is the number one priority.

"He’s a better horse than what we saw on Saturday and we want to show people that next time." 

- NZ Racing Desk

Just now, Hesi said:

Catalyst still on target for All-Star Mile

Sunday, 1 March, 2020 - 15:30

Trainer Clayton Chipperfield is firm in his belief that star three-year-old Catalyst can bounce back to his best in the A$5 million All-Star Mile (1600m) in a fortnight despite suffering a heavy defeat in the Gr.1 Australian Guineas (1600m) at Flemington.

The Darci Brahma gelding weakened noticeably in the concluding stages on Saturday after lodging a likely challenge at the 300m mark, with Chipperfield and jockey Damian Lane believing a return to racing in blinkers is now a must for the horse.

"The race just wasn’t run to suit with the outsider (Commodus) going around us and slowing up the pace made us hang on a bit too much," Chipperfield said.

"When we needed to finish it off in the last bit he started looking around at the horses beside him so the jockey (Lane) came back in and said he needed the hood to go back on.

"He will definitely race in the hood next start and most likely for the rest of his life.

"I know there have been some comments that said he looked like he was hanging or suchlike but that wasn’t the case as he was just having a gawk around.

"I think it was inexperience as he hasn’t had horses around him going past him like that as he is normally the one going past them, so he was wondering what was going on."

Chipperfield spent time with the horse on Sunday morning before heading home to New Zealand and was pleased with what he saw.

"He was running around his paddock on Sunday morning, happy as Larry without a care in the world so I was pleased about that," he said.

"He left about two handfuls of feed last night, so that wasn’t anything out of the ordinary.

"He also had the vets give him a good going over after the race and he passed their tests perfectly. "They took some blood off him which we won’t know about for a couple of days, but he is as bright as a button today and we will keep a good eye on him over the next 48 hours."

Chipperfield has Catalyst staying at ex-pat kiwi Brett Scott’s Mornington property and will get a report from Scott during the week before flying back to Melbourne on Friday for the lead-up to the All-Star Mile at Caulfield on March 14.

"Scotty is going to give him a trot up tomorrow (Monday) and let me know how he feels while Robert (Priscott) is coming over today (Sunday) to be with him until I get back next Friday," Chipperfield said.

"If Robert and Scotty are happy, we will push on to the All-Star.

"Damian (Lane) will gallop him and we might even take him to Caulfield for a look around during the week.

"If we had an issue, we would be on the next plane home as the welfare of the horse is the number one priority.

"He’s a better horse than what we saw on Saturday and we want to show people that next time." 

- NZ Racing Desk

What about the 2000 Guineas

I hate to say this, but it seems like a lot of excuses being rolled out