The Race Place

Mid-week trivia

PWJ

Just now, mardigras said:

Me too.

@PWJHey might have been horrible turns - but did you notice how the best horses tended to win there. 

Wouldn't disagree Mardi but in it's later years the track was poorly maintained and a lot used to jar up after a "firm/fast" track meeting there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VC! said:

I was on the same Website as Hesi, except his eyesight is failing😝

Okay then you and Hesi better stay out of this one:

Final effort for the day - what is this track ?

Clue: I didn't even know about this one until today !! It was in NZ

Capture.JPG

1 minute ago, Hesi said:

Bayer day was still the best of the year

Yes it was always a terrific day although trying to get a bet on or buying a drink was a battle. You had to choose one or the other between each race. Hard to fit in both due to the huge crowd. The $50 and $100 windows were hugely tempting just to avoid the long queues !!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PWJ said:

Yes it was always a terrific day although trying to get a bet on or buying a drink was a battle. You had to choose one or the other between each race. Hard to fit in both due to the huge crowd. The $50 and $100 windows were hugely tempting just to avoid the long queues !!

We always bought a lot of chemicals off Bayer, so always got an invite to the Bayer tent, so the grog and food was free

1 minute ago, Hesi said:

We always bought a lot of chemicals off Bayer, so always got an invite to the Bayer tent, so the grog and food was free

Yes the Bayer tent was THE place to be. Got in there once myself - not sure how !

I think I had got invited to do the selections in the local paper that year so I might have bluffed my way in on the back of that 😆

34 minutes ago, PWJ said:

Capture.JPG

I actually lived in that suburb for a little while, even played soccer there, no sign of any racecourse 

1 minute ago, VC! said:

I actually lived in that suburb for a little while, even played soccer there, no sign of any racecourse 

Yeah I played a few games at W****ield Park in 1980 and then later in 1983. Wonder if we ever played each other, Ian !!

14 minutes ago, PWJ said:

Yeah I played a few games at W****ield Park in 1980 and then later in 1983. Wonder if we ever played each other, Ian !!

Not quite PJ I played there 1985/86

I’m sure between Mardigras and yourself we crossed paths at Levin that day

796FB32C-5760-4FD6-B3C4-3DF2EC67BF86.jpeg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VC! said:

Not quite PJ I played there 1985/86

I’m sure between Mardigras and yourself we crossed paths at Levin that day

In 1980 I was playing for Karori Swifts and then in 1983 for Miramar Rangers (trained with Justin Fashanu no less) and RNZAF Shelley Bay

1 hour ago, PWJ said:

Capture.JPG

1 hour ago, PWJ said:

Capture.JPG

Island Bay

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PWJ said:

In 1980 I was playing for Karori Swifts and then in 1983 for Miramar Rangers (trained with Justin Fashanu no less) and RNZAF Shelley Bay

Yes I played against Karori Swifts Onslow Kau Kau Wellington Diamond United, Brooklyn, etc

Between yourself Globe and myself we all played for Miramar Rangers, at different times, small world

Justin Fashanu had a few clubs he played with Forest and Pete’s Brighton, however looks like he saved his best for last with Miramar Rangers 

I see there was a racetrack at Miramar, I think it must’ve been where centennial park was ?

I went to primary at Miramar no sign of any racetrack 

I know Shelley Bay well we used to often drive right around there with a couple of my female friends 😎

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, PWJ said:

I never played on that park (or that game) but have hit a few white balls on the fairways above it - bloody goat track!

I did play a few games a little further up the road at Athletic park though in the early 80's