The Race Place

Mid-week trivia

PWJ

Clue - the horse was Diable Rouge, a son of USA-bred Beau Diable. The curious thing is Jim Gibbs is not even the trainer of this hiorse. Trainer was in fact Don Campbell. Diable Rouge produced Calpurni9cus who won a Whangarei Cup and ran 2nd in a Brisbane Cup to Love Bandit and 2nd in the Mitchelson Cup to good mudder Merman.

Give up or want to try and solve it ?

21 minutes ago, PWJ said:

Clue - the horse was Diable Rouge, a son of USA-bred Beau Diable. The curious thing is Jim Gibbs is not even the trainer of this hiorse. Trainer was in fact Don Campbell. Diable Rouge produced Calpurni9cus who won a Whangarei Cup and ran 2nd in a Brisbane Cup to Love Bandit and 2nd in the Mitchelson Cup to good mudder Merman.

Give up or want to try and solve it ?

The clerk of the course was indisposed, and Jim was standing in for him.

18 minutes ago, ngakonui grass said:

Horse dropped the rider at the starting gates and ran back to the birdcage and Gibbs returned it to the start.?

OR rider involved in inquiry Gibbs lent a hand to get it to the start.

I reckon that might be close though the rider may have been dropped at a fence in the running and Jim rode it back so the rider could remount and complete the race. Otherwise, it's beyond me.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, curious said:

I reckon that might be close though the rider may have been dropped at a fence in the running and Jim rode it back so the rider could remount and complete the race. Otherwise, it's beyond me.

Peter said no to that when it was mentioned in an earlier post.

43 minutes ago, curious said:

I thought he said no to Jim going back to jump any remaining fences, rather than going back to re-unite it with it's race rider? Anyway, as I said, I otherwise give up.

Sorry Curious, I didn't read your answer correctly.

I put the white flag up too.

14 hours ago, ngakonui grass said:

Parading for a vet?

NG, you are the closest. In 1972, the Waikato Hunt Club's vet had ordered Diable Rouge scratched at the start due to lameness. When the horse returned to the birdcage trainer Don Campbell insisted the horse was not sore and asked Jim Gibbs to hop on board and trot it around the birdcage to prove hos point. Unfortunately the stewards did not relent ! 

• Like 2

Today's Teaser: This one's a little quirky.

I appear in the pedigree of 3 of the top 10 sires in Australia last season (also in the pedigree of 4 of the top 15 sires).  As a racehorse my only win came at the little track named Fontainebleau on the outskirts of Paris but my great uncle was one of the breed's great champion stallions. Remarkably, I stood at Tirau AND at Casterton in Victoria. My best performer won the Winter Cup at Riccarton for a lady trainer in an absolute bog (PJ backed it that day). I also left two winners of the Wanganui Guineas. Who am I ?

29 minutes ago, PWJ said:

I appear in the pedigree of 3 of the top 10 sires in Australia last season (also in the pedigree of 4 of the top 15 sires).  As a racehorse my only win came at the little track named Fontainebleau on the outskirts of Paris but my great uncle was one of the breed's great champion stallions. Remarkably, I stood at Tirau AND at Casterton in Victoria. My best performer won the Winter Cup at Riccarton for a lady trainer in an absolute bog (PJ backed it that day). I also left two winners of the Wanganui Guineas. Who am I ?

ROUSSEAUS DREAM?

1 hour ago, PWJ said:

COEUR  VOLANT 11

lONDON TRADER   MISS Margrett Bull

INKYS GOLD

A Devel horse with Ian ian vincent     RED OR wHATA

Edited by ngakonui grass
  • Like 1

I have to make these harder, NG. Yes absolutely correct on all points. Wata Devil is the one you're thinking of - 2nd twice in a Waikato Hurdle - once to Bell Flight, once to Leyland and 3rd in another running to Phrase and Leyland ! He also won a Maramarua Hunt Cup

Canny Lad, the damsire of Redoute's Choice is out of Jesmond Lass, a daughter of Coeur Volant II mare Beautiful Dreamer

The famous great uncle was Nasrullah. The 3 sires in the top 10 were Snitzel, Not A Single Doubt & Zoustar

• Like 1

Okay you guys - this is tougher:

Te Parae Stud's brilliant sire Oncidium inspired many other Kiwi studmasters to invest in sons of Oncidium's sire: the St. Leger victor Alcide. How many sons of Alcide made it to New Zealand ? Name them please....

3 minutes ago, PWJ said:

I have to make these harder, NG. Yes absolutely correct on all points. Wata Devil is the one you're thinking of - 2nd twice in a Waikato Hurdle - once to Bell Flight, once to Leyland and 3rd in another running to Phrase and Leyland ! He also won a Maramarua Hunt Cup

Canny Lad, the damsire of Redoute's Choice is out of Jesmond Lass, a daughter of Coeur Volant II mare Beautiful Dreamer

The famous great uncle was Nasrullah. The 3 sires in the top 10 were Snitzel, Not A Single Doubt & Zoustar

I remember being at Ellerslie and Wata Devil falling at the first fence in the GN Hurdles.

He was a grey trained by G Rogerson I think.

3 minutes ago, PWJ said:

Te Parae Stud's brilliant sire Oncidium inspired many other Kiwi studmasters to invest in sons of Oncidium's sire: the St. Leger victor Alcide. How many sons of Alcide made it to New Zealand ? Name them please....

I'd have a go but I already have an Arrowfield cap that everyone admires, thanks so much PJ 👍  .

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PWJ said:

AS BEFORE   GATE KEEPER   ORBITER     PERSIAN GARDEN   ACHARACLE    ONCIDIUM

Also half brother to Oncidium stood in NZ  SERENADER 11 by Tambourine.