The Race Place

Mid-week trivia

PWJ

1 hour ago, von Smallhaussen said:

Sireline - and this horse was foaled in NZ 1970 😉

Now you are embarrasing me. I was training a couple of steeds in New Plymouth which would have coincided with this horse but trying to remember. Incidentally I had Lance Robinson ride for me once or twice. Things were a bit quieter in New Plymouth then than nowadays. Malcolm Smith by far the biggest trainer followed by Frank Walsh. Counsel trained by Frank Walsh won more than once so counts that out. Must have been a Smith horse just by probability. Allen Baker I see has returned to training in Levin but would'nt be any of his. John Wheeler only had a couple. Clem Fabish had the Defence horses so not him.

Nup you got me.

2 hours ago, slam dunk said:

Now you are embarrasing me. I was training a couple of steeds in New Plymouth which would have coincided with this horse but trying to remember. Incidentally I had Lance Robinson ride for me once or twice. Things were a bit quieter in New Plymouth then than nowadays. Malcolm Smith by far the biggest trainer followed by Frank Walsh. Counsel trained by Frank Walsh won more than once so counts that out. Must have been a Smith horse just by probability. Allen Baker I see has returned to training in Levin but would'nt be any of his. John Wheeler only had a couple. Clem Fabish had the Defence horses so not him.

Nup you got me.

Yes trained by Malcolm Smith - was at stud in Cambridge 

On 12/24/2021 at 12:50 PM, von Smallhaussen said:

Okay - here is another for Christmas eve - should be far too easy for you PJ

He was a grandson of the mighty Hyperion and not only looked like Hyperion but had a gentle nature like him as well.

Was trained at New Plymouth and might have won 1 race. Sired a handful of runners but did leave a dual stakes winner.

Help required,suffering from brain fog.

1 hour ago, ngakonui grass said:

I'M Picking that his sire was Red Mars,Ruthless,Stardust,Hornbeam,High Hat or Aureole?

Interesting article. Last I remember Mick Preston was 1965 Fielding races. Looked very dapper in trademark bow tie.

http://www.theoptimist.site/mick-preston-was-once-the-stallion-handler-for-hyperion-for-lord-derby-in-newmarket/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slam dunk said:

Interesting article. Last I remember Mick Preston was 1965 Fielding races. Looked very dapper in trademark bow tie.

http://www.theoptimist.site/mick-preston-was-once-the-stallion-handler-for-hyperion-for-lord-derby-in-newmarket/

Interesting that Hyperion was used as a teaser - the horse in question here was also used as a teaser 😉

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Double R said:

Perhaps going back to jump the fences the horse missed, when the horse dropped the rider?

Nice guess but no. The horse incidentally was by a Ra Ora stallion and she later left the winner of a Whangarei Cup by the American sprinter Sharivari (known in some parts as Shivervari due to the nervous nature of his progeny)

5 minutes ago, PWJ said:

Nice guess but no. The horse incidentally was by a Ra Ora stallion and she later left the winner of a Whangarei Cup by the American sprinter Sharivari (known in some parts as Shivervari due to the nervous nature of his progeny)

His float broke down, so rode the horse to the races?

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, PWJ said:

Yes Jim Gibbs but what is he doing on the horse in the Te Rapa birdcage ?

I recall George Humphries riding Rebel Lad into the birdcage at Kurow.

It was a fair old walk to the birdcage, Rebel Lad was enormous, so George took the path of least resistance!