The Race Place

The A-Z of Harness Racing Great Horses you might remember.

Lightning Blue

4 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Stella Frost first past the post, beating Spry.

Blackie 1/ LB 0

Sweet Revenge when a year or 2 later Stella Frost promoted to 1st herself , in the Interdominion Grand Final at Addington with the Australian 'Juniors Image' disqualified for a positive. 

Blackie defeats LB once again spotting up SPRY in the 1969 NZ Cup , as the promoted winner. 'S' for Shizenhousen.  

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Looking at the Interdominion list, Aussies would be too strong I’d say, although the Kiwi’s would be better driven, ha,  so maybe a Wolfie or R May special would get one home.

All great horses there, champions.

Stanley Rio was Australian bred so we will leave him out of the Kiwi contingent. 24 horses in a final ??, how about 2 twelve horse heats and a final. Sounds better.

55 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Sweet Revenge when a year or 2 later Stella Frost promoted to 1st herself , in the Interdominion Grand Final at Addington with the Australian 'Juniors Image' disqualified for a positive. 

Blackie defeats LB once again spotting up SPRY in the 1969 NZ Cup , as the promoted winner. 'S' for Shizenhousen.  

Lovely to see the great Philip Leishman presenting 🙂 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dancing Show said:

Lovely to see the great Philip Leishman presenting 🙂 

Interesting to see Holy Hal in the field . A back story here. Way back in the late seventys  we went to Taree Harness track with my family who lived in Taree. There was a raffle on the night for an unraced weenling put up by a local Doctor. My sister in law Sharon bought one of the last tickets and won the raffle . Lo and behold it was a colt by Holy Hal out of Singalong, a Flying Song mare. Over the moon, I got my son in law to get it into the local trainer who turned out to be fat and useless but never the less the horse called Lucky draw won 6 races  and raced at Harold Park a couple of times. Pity as it had tons of potential, and loved to lead. Just part of our story in this harness journey.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

Stanley Rio was Australian bred so we will leave him out of the Kiwi contingent. 24 horses in a final ??, how about 2 twelve horse heats and a final. Sounds better.

Don't think so Globe. He is bred in Tassie (just like his Noble Trainer)  but definitely represented NZ for a great Interdominion in Brisvegas, (and a NZ Cup ) wins.

We'd have to trade you Smoken Up then if you did that. He is kiwi-bred . And is the likely Victor in this field with $3 million in earnings,  and any number of Group wins in his 70 wins. Smoken Up representing New Zealand just wouldn't feel right somehow lol..... 

NEW ZEALAND                AUSTRALIA
Stanley Rio                    Shakamaker

Stella Frost                   Smooth Satin

Sole Command             Steel Jaw

Speedy Guest               Sokyola  

Sapling                          Sinbad Bay

Stars and Stripes          Smoken Up       

Skipper Dale                 SlipnSlide

Smiling Shard                Sir Reilly

Sharp and Telford         Sushi Sushi

Stunnin Cullen               Sting Lika Bee

Surprise Package          Safe And Sound

Edited by Lightning Blue
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lightning Blue said:

Hey maybe you know Max, Maria?. He was a very funny chap. used to host a few of us young fellas like Marky boy and Mango over his place at Clevedon on Sundays, and had a great old time. Here's Max in more vigorous action on a Saturday evening trying to catch the ever elusive Charlie Hunter . I think Sugar Ray here ran second to Disco Dancer 6 or 7 times . Max looks a little flustered in this one !! lol.....

DSC02664.JPG

Yes he was a great friend of our family, and Gwen 🙂  and I used to holiday up at Rundown Lodge 😉   My dad was track supervisor at Trentham 1975 to 1986 and so all the harness guys used to stay at our place and at the stables at Trentham 🙂