The Race Place

The A-Z of Harness Racing Great Horses you might remember.

Lightning Blue

Well it'shard to beat GREYHOUND with anything. What an outstanding horse he was for the trotting caper. 71 wins from 82 starts his final total.

Had a nice retirement too, and still popular then. here's a snippet.

"During his twenty-five years of retirement, Greyhound was immensely popular among horse enthusiasts around the country. Greyhound was so popular that visitors came to see him until February 1965 when he died at the age of 33. His guest book was signed by visitors from 30 countries and all 50 states"  Fantastic. 

1 hour ago, Blackie said:

Hilarious Guest & Hands Down

I think the Hands Down photo was taken after an exhibition showing at maybe Trentham or Riccarton(can't remember) and recall he fell over!

Spot on !! it's Riccarton  and the grey horse head in Photo is the NZ galloping Cup winner from same week !! 

Don't know his name (the grey galloper)  but he looks like he's thinking , "What the hell is this thing in telescopic blinds that can't even stand up when going along the track?"   hahahaha

Hands Down had a few issues keeping his feet time to time. 

• Haha 1

For the old boys (and Newbies) here's a Good One we should put in .

He is running a World Record here at Addington I think ? where's the grandstand? Started off 60 yards behind handicap and won by 20 yards.!!!!   time of  4.10 for the 2 miles stand . Unbelievably good going for those days.......

Blackie and Globe are exceptional at spotting these champs. Does anyone else know this H Champion ? 

DSC02609.JPG

10 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Don't know his name (the grey galloper)  but he looks like he's thinking , "What the hell is this thing in telescopic blinds that can't even stand up when going along the track?"   hahahaha

Koiro Trelay..trained by Eric Temperton.

Famous on your side of the ditch for winning 1971 Melbourne Cup with Silver Knight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Field Commander said:

Haughty

OMG !!! that is so close that i'm on fire with how hot that is.

HAUGHTY nearly the greatest NZ mare ever winning 2 Nz Cups during WW2 years (here's one in the photo) and set the World record at 4.13 for the 2 miles stand. 

Our boy in the photo earlier,  came along just after.

Haughty actually starting in his First NZ Cup win. (gave it away now lol...) 

DSC02610.JPG

Wouldn't be an H day without mentioning the foundation sire of virtually all American standard breds , Hambiltonian 10.  Started his siring days at 2 yrs of age , was higher in the croup than the withers  which gave him extra push and speed  and a more flowing action, which he passed on through a plethora of progeny.

A horse we owe a lot to.

Another of my early favs was a horse called Hoover(Court Martial)who I remember running second to Robalan at Hutt Park. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

Wouldn't be an H day without mentioning the foundation sire of virtually all American standard breds , Hambiltonian 10.

Globe Derby19 has hit the JACKPOT. We owe it all to Hambletonian who started off all the great siring lines.

I traced a few horses as a kid and drew up some charts, to see if indeed they all traced to Hambletonian of 1849 and they Did !! he was the great grand-son of a  thoroughbred  , but started off the great Standardbred chains that we enjoy today !!!!

Thanks Globe for that one ! there is the great American ADIOS chain, the NZ imports 'U Scott' and 'Lumber Dream' doing all the breeding greatness for NZ, and 'Globe Derby' too, foaled in Australia , starting the amazing 'colonial ' chain.

DSC02611.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

Start the day off with that great Axworthy-Peter the Great cross horse INDIANAPOLIS. 1932 Great Northern Derby, 1934 Auckland Pacing Cup, 1934-1936 NZ Cups among his biggest wins ,two of those off of 48 yrds behind.

I'm waiting for a nice picture of Inky Lord 🙂

• Like 1

Here's one for the 'I's that must of been very good , as they appear to of shoved him on a NZ Postage Stamp !!!

worth $1.20 too . seems good value with Kiwi at 40c and Cardy at 10c .

A true honour normally reserved for champions like Mel Cup winner KIWI and of course the Amazing Cardigan Bay.

He must of 'licked' the opposition a fair bit ?? lol.......  Who is he?

DSC02608.JPG

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Here's one for the 'I's that must of been very good , as they appear to of shoved him on a NZ Postage Stamp !!!

worth $1.20 too . seems good value with Kiwi at 40c and Cardy at 10c .

A true honour normally reserved for champions like Mel Cup winner KIWI and of course the Amazing Cardigan Bay.

He must of 'licked' the opposition a fair bit ?? lol.......  Who is he?

Thats called inflation LB

• Haha 1