The Race Place

The A-Z of Harness Racing Great Horses you might remember.

Lightning Blue

2 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Wouldn't have a clue, Phar Lap?

You already lost a point calling Christian Cullen Phar Lap . lol. Seems the Harness boys and girls are doing way better remembering the Champions of the track.

A clue is then for the Thoroughbred folk , is, we are doing 'M' today lol. and also a feature Group 1 sprint is named after this champion of the track. Hesi , you're letting the TB's down. ? kick up mate or face the Reaper....

5 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

You already lost a point calling Christian Cullen Phar Lap . lol. Seems the Harness boys and girls are doing way better remembering the Champions of the track.

A clue is then for the Thoroughbred folk , is, we are doing 'M' today lol. and also a feature Group 1 sprint is named after this champion of the track. Hesi , you're letting the TB's down. ? kick up mate or face the Reaper....

PJ is on the road, he'd call it in a blink, or the time it takes an Aussie cricketer to put one down at first slip

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Hesi said:

PJ is on the road, he'd call it in a blink, or the time it takes an Aussie cricketer to put one down at first slip

Maria is all over it for ya lol......The Reapers are struggling before the first race has started it seems? 

PJ is my head to head opponent tomorrow so probably knows he can drive around and still beat LB comfortably. I would of nipped down the hour to Gold Coast to get the inside info. but they all say they can win.

not as realistic as the harness folk (who can pick the champions better too ) heheheh . Well done Maria Dancing show .!!!

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Dancing Show said:

I'll toss in Miss Clevedon, a handy sweet looking mare by Noodlum that the Purdon's had.

A great choice DS !! thank you , She was A great little race horse , who had only 5 foals , all winners , and all part owned by the master ROY Purdon himself. Here's one of Miss Clevedon's foals going now in photo.

How did we forget him ? He won the Interdominion GF and you can't do any better than that lol.........

A great 'M' horse too ! to finish a great line-up today 

1991-pcr-Mark-Hanover.jpg

2 minutes ago, Dancing Show said:

Scrap that, just scanned back and saw that you had added MI already LB 🙂 

All good. Only put in the Aussie trotter as was an incredible horse. For some that might be reading and don't know what he did , here's the summary from wiki.......................

During his career Maori's Idol had 46 race starts for 40 wins (8 were against pacers) and four placings and then record trotting earnings of $98,821. He also won 16 of his 18 starts at Moonee Valley. Maori's Idol held Australian records at six different distances from standing starts and two for mobile starts. He holds the Australian and New Zealand record for a successive winning sequence for a trotter of 24 victories.[7] In his career Maori's Idol won 31 of his 34 starts against trotters.

Maori's Idol was the only trotter voted in the top 10 Australian post-war Standardbreds in a poll conducted by Australian Standardbred magazine,[11] and Harness Racing International stated that he would win the vote as Australia's best trotter in any poll when they named their greatest ever trotters

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lightning Blue said:

Manaroa , had won 12 races from 17 starts in Australia early 70's (because we used the mobile a lot)  so was loved by the Aussies more than the kiwis , where he often missed away in Nz. 

LB..Manaroa was my first favourite horse when beginning attending Alex Park to see 1972 Auckland Cup.

Manaroa started off 24yards handicap,and finished 3rd.

In those days,same owners/trainers had their runners bracketed as one on the tote.This applied here,where Manaroa was bracketed with stablemates Royal Ascot & Manawaru.

As Royal Ascot Won The Cup,I still collected a win divvy,and double the place divvy.🤑🤑

Manaroa had his final NZ Run Feb 74 at Alex Park starting off a 50metre handicap.It was the first time I had seen such a handicap,but still backed Manaroa.
Then when the field lined up for the start down the back straight,,even with my trusty binoculars,I couldn't believe how far back 50metres was exactly!

It sure seemed more than half a footy field!For the record Manaroa finished 3rd.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Double R said:

Correct Maria.

Second was no.7, Silky Nero.

Third was no.1, Genuine Bid.

What race is it Robert? (Mark Hanover photo) don't know those horses you have put there.

Have found one I had somewhere of his Interdominion win over stable-mate Christopher Vance in the early 90's in this paper clipping 

DSC02635.JPG

6 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

What race is it Robert? (Mark Hanover photo) don't know those horses you have put there.

Have found one I had somewhere of his Interdominion win over stable-mate Christopher Vance in the early 90's in this paper clipping 

DSC02635.JPG

It was a sires stakes heat at Addington, on the 9th of November 1989.

8 minutes ago, Double R said:

It was a sires stakes heat at Addington, on the 9th of November 1989.

And not a bad Group One Final $150k.

1st Honkin Vision ..Henry Skinner..Skinner/Devery

2nd Chuin..Maurice McKendry..Brian Hughes

3rd The Unicorn..Tony Herlihy..Roy/Barry Purdon

6th Mark Hanover

Here's the race result for Mark Hanover at Interdominion at Auckland 1991. 

Very interesting to see the race Place's  FIELD COMMANDER in the $500,000 Final running 7th .

Lord Lenny and Blossom Lady won the consolations . Vinny Knight 2nd (again at Akld lol)  in one of those too.

Pretty crap divvies? with the first 3 favourites running unplaced in the Grand Final.

DSC02636.JPG

33 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

NIATROSS. You trying to be helpful here or undermine our wealth of knowledge. :classic_tongue:

Just saw M come up, and it reminded me of when I used to go to the trots and Manaroa was one that was exceptional, also the N coming up, who won a hell of a lot in a row