The Race Place

The A-Z of Harness Racing Great Horses you might remember.

Lightning Blue

1 hour ago, Globederby19 said:

A fav of mine in the early 70,s and as tough as old boots was Kawarau Gold(majestic Chance). Remember him running twice on the same day down South a few times with G Shand .. Not a world beater but in the money 24 times from 36 starts.

Hi Rees.

Kawerau Gold was trained at Oamaru by Frank Oliver.

I think the horse you were thinking about that George Shand had was Mighty Gay.

3 minutes ago, Double R said:

Hi Rees.

Kawerau Gold was trained at Oamaru by Frank Oliver.

I think the horse you were thinking about that George Shand had was Mighty Gay.

I remember George driving him a couple of times along with C DeFilippi, or was it M De Filippi.  I didn't mean Shand trained him, but I stand to be corrected.

Edited by Globederby19

30 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

Lets start the "L' day with an Aussie and a name sake. LAWN DERBY. Unhoppled and first pacer to break the two minute barrier in Australia and NZ in 1938 at Addington .

Lyall Creek, Lazarus , Lord Module, Lordship, Locarno, Light Brigade, . Heaps more.  

Lincoln storm one for lightning blue

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Globederby19 said:

Lets start the "L' day with an Aussie and a name sake. LAWN DERBY. Unhoppled and first pacer to break the two minute barrier in Australia and NZ in 1938 at Addington .

Lyall Creek, Lazarus , Lord Module, Lordship, Locarno, Light Brigade, . Heaps more.  

Well it's 'L' day and a Globe has roared out of the gate with some beauties. !! how did you miss your old mate Luxury Liner Globe ??        (Globe takes the lead anyway from FCommander and Blackie in the points with 7 rippers)

With the Absolute Superstar Line-Up of 'L' Nz Cup winners , these 5 horses winning 7 Cups between them !!! We have LORDSHIP with 2 Cups, LIGHTNING BLUE, LAZARUS with 2 Cups, LORD MODULE and LUXURY LINER . some of the most memorable Nz Cups ever run ........

2 of them in BLUE and LAZ  going on to take an Interdominion Pacing champion Title as well . ! the Ultimate champions (Nz Cup and Inter combo)  Cardigan Bay achieving that amazing feat too.

Todays first picture is a beautiful animal who came up just short of taking an Interdominion GF , and this amazing photo was the first night personally, I was ever the trots . and What a Win it was. No wonder i'm an addict lol.....   

WHo might this Be ??

DSC02619.JPG

22 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Well it's 'L' day and a Globe has roared out of the gate with some beauties. !! how did you miss your old mate Luxury Liner Globe ??        (Globe takes the lead anyway from FCommander and Blackie in the points with 7 rippers)

With the Absolute Superstar Line-Up of 'L' Nz Cup winners , these 5 horses winning 7 Cups between them !!! We have LORDSHIP with 2 Cups, LIGHTNING BLUE, LAZARUS with 2 Cups, LORD MODULE and LUXURY LINER . some of the most memorable Nz Cups ever run ........

2 of them in BLUE and LAZ  going on to take an Interdominion Pacing champion Title as well . ! the Ultimate champions (Nz Cup and Inter combo)  Cardigan Bay achieving that amazing feat too.

Todays first picture is a beautiful animal who came up just short of taking an Interdominion GF , and this amazing photo was the first night personally, I was ever the trots . and What a Win it was. No wonder i'm an addict lol.....   

WHo might this Be ??

DSC02619.JPG

Locarno

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Field Commander said:

Locarno

winning the NZ Messenger at Auckland in the photo

3 minutes ago, Field Commander said:

L L is also for Laser Lad & Liquid Lightning

Liquid Lightning ! wow that Derby crash 83. Richard Brosnan probably still wakes at night and falls out of bed dreaming about that one .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

Have a go at this horses gait.!!!!!!!   This is just astounding. going that quick in those days on loose track surfaces.

No hopples !!!!     Globe Derby could sire (grand-sire in this case) some remarkable horses. 

Lawn Derby must be nearly the top horse of all time . great honour being first 2.00 horse southern hemisphere.

DSC02620.JPG

7 minutes ago, Double R said:

Lunar Chance.

Robert is in the points !!!!, naming another NZ Cup winner in LUNAR CHANCE. other L Cup winners (apart from the 5 champs named earlier) There was also Lookaway, Loyal Nurse and going way back there was Lucky Jack raced by Bill Lowe, father of Ted Lowe from that famous family.

Well Robert , is this you with another 'L' horse ?? There's a bit of double R going on here lol.....

DSC02622.JPG

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Double R said:

Lunar Chance.

I would rate Lunar Chance as one of the best horses I have seen

2 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Robert is in the points !!!!, naming another NZ Cup winner in LUNAR CHANCE. other L Cup winners (apart from the 5 champs named earlier) There was also Lookaway, Loyal Nurse and going way back there was Lucky Jack raced by Bill Lowe, father of Ted Lowe from that famous family.

Well Robert , is this you with another 'L' horse ?? There's a bit of double R going on here lol.....

DSC02622.JPG

Lyndon Robert.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to take the liberty of putting a family horse in here too  😍  - Life's a Beach - the night he beat Attorney General at Alex Park was fantastic 💃and then a couple of weeks later he scored a win over Lord Vicolo.   He went on to do well in North America running some fast MRs.   He was a quirky lad, by Sands A Flyin, so to be expected, but he was a fun horse to have around.

• Like 3

I was just chatting to someone about "L"s and we got on to Lordship and then Wally Tatterson and Lordship's grandam - Lightning Lady - a beaut horse who notched up over 10 wins and a ridiculous amount of placings before going on to being a successful broodmare.    So I think she deserves a place here 🙂 

4 minutes ago, Dancing Show said:

I was just chatting to someone about "L"s and we got on to Lordship and then Wally Tatterson and Lordship's grandam - Lightning Lady - a beaut horse who notched up over 10 wins and a ridiculous amount of placings before going on to being a successful broodmare.    So I think she deserves a place here 🙂 

lord Lenny

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, far too much said:

Lordship's grandam - Lightning Lady - a beaut horse who notched up over 10 wins and a ridiculous amount of placings before going on to being a successful broodmare.    So I think she deserves a place here 🙂 

She (Lightning Lady)  helped start a great chain of NZ winners then. fantastic.  ....There's a 'Lightning Lass' who is  Lightning Blue's grand-dam. 

Here's a photo of Lightning Lass' sire. No one will get to pick who he is?  lol....... the oldest horse i've ever seen.!!

Incredibibly getting his 40th birthday cake in this photo !!  he won only one race at Hokitika in 1953 !!!!!! lol........

L is for legend as well as lol..... lol....

DSC02623.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

She (Lightning Lady)  helped start a great chain of NZ winners then. fantastic.  ....There's a 'Lightning Lass' who is  Lightning Blue's grand-dam. 

Here's a photo of Lightning Lass' sire. No one will get to pick who he is?  lol....... the oldest horse i've ever seen.!!

Incredibibly getting his 40th birthday cake in this photo !!  he won only one race at Hokitika in 1953 !!!!!! lol........

L is for legend as well as lol..... lol....

DSC02623.JPG

Lighterman Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1