The Race Place

Covid-19 update

pete

Important Industry Update - COVID-19

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter
NZTR
17 March 2020
The racing industry is taking steps to reduce the potential for the spread of the COVID-19 virus among participants and public by closing its meetings to all but essential personnel.

Race meetings across the three codes – thoroughbreds, harness and greyhounds – will be conducted as “closed door” events commencing tomorrow (Wednesday, 18 March).

The only people permitted to attend meetings will be those jockeys and drivers competing at the meeting; trainers with runners engaged at the meeting; stable/kennel staff of those trainers as advised to the club; and essential race day personnel.

The three codes, along with the TAB, have been working together to develop protocols to ensure racing can continue in light of the government’s recommendation regarding public gatherings of more than 500 people.

“The codes recognise that we need to act in a socially responsible manner, while at the same time protecting the ability of our stakeholders to continue to earn a living,” Peter Jensen, CEO of NZ Harness Racing said.

In addition to limiting personnel on-course NZTR, with the support of the NZ Jockeys’ Association, has issued a directive that jockeys must not accept riding engagements between Islands.

“We have the support of our recognised industry organisations – the trainers, jockeys and owners – along with our racing clubs to take whatever steps that we can to provide an appropriate framework to allow racing to continue. We recognise that these are extraordinary circumstances and they require extraordinary action,” New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing CEO Bernard Saundry said.

The TAB provides the critical income to sustain the livelihoods of more than 15,000 directly employed in the industry and will continue to broadcast racing on Trackside TV and on www.tab.co.nz, however it will limit its operations on courses to include minimum broadcast operations and no on-course bookmakers or Tote services provided.

“The key priority for the three codes is to ensure the wellbeing of all of our staff, participants, supporters and the community, as well as our animals. To ensure we achieve this Greyhound, Harness and Thoroughbred racing are working closely together to achieve this,” Greyhound NZ CEO Glenda Hughes said.

At this stage the protocols are expected to remain in place until at least Monday 13 April.

The Coronavirus Emergency Regulations come into force at 4 pm today, Tuesday 17 March 2020.

Just now, Hesi said:

How will this play out

TAB will lose  a lot with the cancellation of sports events

But how much extra will they pick up on behind closed door racing, bearing in mind the question marks over  the discretionary  dollar 

I'm not sure why they would pick up on the racing - are you thinking the sports punters are going to shift their betting to racing?

4 minutes ago, Hesi said:

That was the inference 

How likely is that  if very few sports events to bet on

It's an interesting question Hesi. Not sure if there is much 'validated' data on such an event. Anecdotally, I know some serious sports punters and they wouldn't bet on racing. In the same way, I wouldn't bet on sport if racing was off and sport was going. Some more recreational styled punters may shift their interest. We should know soon enough.

Edited by mardigras

And whilst the view may be that NZ is doing OK keeping numbers down, there is the view that the case numbers double around every 5-6 days. We have just had 3 more announced today, so we are likely in line with that. It's early days around infection numbers - and we have a huge advantage of remoteness/size from external impacts. I'm more concerned with our hospitals/isolation methods being in a position to cope.

I also see that Air NZ is 'suggesting' possible layoffs in the vicinity of 3,500 staff. Stressful times for many.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mardigras said:

And whilst the view may be that NZ is doing OK keeping numbers down, there is the view that the case numbers double around every 5-6 days. We have just had 3 more announced today, so we are likely in line with that. It's early days around infection numbers - and we have a huge advantage of remoteness/size from external impacts. I'm more concerned with our hospitals/isolation methods being in a position to cope.

I also see that Air NZ is 'suggesting' possible layoffs in the vicinity of 3,500 staff. Stressful times for many.

That's what I like, but sometimes don't like about you(in this particular example and the implications), Mardi, the pragmatism backed by numbers and logical thinking

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hesi said:

That's what I like, but sometimes don't like about you(in this particular example and the implications), Mardi, the pragmatism backed by numbers and logical thinking

Lol, I am as hopeful as the next person that this situation doesn't lead to a drain on our ability to service the needs of NZers appropriately.

Racing: Tough rules to combat coronavirus

17 Mar, 2020 7:29pm
 4 minutes to read
For racing bosses, the main focus is on maintaining horse and dog racing in this country. Photo / Sarah Ivey
For racing bosses, the main focus is on maintaining horse and dog racing in this country. Photo / Sarah Ivey
NZ Herald

By: Michael Guerin

New Zealand racing is set to continue behind closed doors but with the most extreme measures in its history to combat the spread of coronavirus.

And that will include jockeys being forbidden to ride at meetings in the island they don't live in but with an unheard of 2kgs raising of all weights in all thoroughbred races to enable them to be healthier and less at risk of illness.

The heads of all three racing codes — thoroughbred, harness and greyhounds — are hopeful the expected moves announced today will enable racing to continue so the industry can survive financially and not face stable or business closures which could force participants out of racing permanently.

At this stage no race meetings have been cancelled because of coronavirus restrictions and none is planned unless there is an increase in the threat or change in Government regulations.

But from Wednesday no members of the public will be allowed to attend race or trials meetings and there will even be severe restrictions on racing industry participants doing so, with only those working at that meeting allowed to attend.

That will mean trainers, jockeys or drivers, handlers and stablehands who usually attend meetings will not be able to unless they have specific duties that raceday.

3 hours ago, Hesi said:

they are all traceable to overseas travel - as long as we can test/isolate close contacts of theirs, the spread can be mitigated. 

On 3/17/2020 at 6:14 PM, mardigras said:

Ominously right Mardi

21 hours ago, Maximus said:

they are all traceable to overseas travel - as long as we can test/isolate close contacts of theirs, the spread can be mitigated. 

Potentially although in practice, not that easy. I hope your are right, for our health system's sake.

Every case will be attributable to overseas travel however - since it started overseas - and therefore requires someone overseas at some point, to bring it here. Some of the cases are people that haven't travelled overseas but they trace to someone who has. That's to be expected since ultimately it can't work any other way. Even if someone gets it related to the school student, it's still likely traceable ultimately to his father. The next 20 days will tell the story in my view.

In all the doom and gloom, the population needs entertainment events such as sports and racing, to keep their spirits up.

In perspective though, it is minor stuff, if you are English, and had parents in England during say the blitz.

All we have to worry about is a virus that might kill a few more people than the flu.  They had to worry about being bombed into oblivion, and their very survival as a nation.  What do you think went through the minds of the English in 1940, with an enemy rampaging in Europe, most thinking it was only a matter of time

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mardigras said:

Potentially although in practice, not that easy. I hope your are right, for our health system's sake.

Every case will be attributable to overseas travel however - since it started overseas - and therefore requires someone overseas at some point, to bring it here. Some of the cases are people that haven't travelled overseas but they trace to someone who has. That's to be expected since ultimately it can't work any other way. Even if someone gets it related to the school student, it's still likely traceable ultimately to his father. The next 20 days will tell the story in my view.

totally agree, mate...the next two-three weeks will tell the tale.  In China they had 1500 teams of 8 people tracing contacts and managed to control its spread once they went into lockdown. NZ has many advantages on that situation- except the human resources to trace contacts if numbers escalate sharply over the next 2-3 weeks.

• Like 2