The Race Place

Covid-19 update

pete

Or will the implemented strategies start slowing things down?

Yes we can expect the numbers to keep escalating for at least 10-14 days after lockdown were implemented. In the UK they did not treat the lockdown seriously at the start (pubs, restaurants, etc) We are only in Day 2 in NZ. USA is in bigger trouble, I fear.

MM

Edited by Maximus

30 minutes ago, Maximus said:

I don't play their silly 'pay us for info' game, Hesi - and neither do I waste time watching nonsense of the Bachelorette or MAFS variety. Braunias is a genius writer, though. I note we have our first case of ICU on account of Covid. I fully expect the number of hospitalised cases to go up quickly in the next week or so. 

Must be desperate for a job then, if he resorts to writing updates on The Bachelorette, don't you think

4 hours ago, mardigras said:

So with 10 hours before the time arrives for 24 hours to pass from this post above.

And we have 57,000 more cases, 2660 more deaths. Ahead of the trend on this day. And these are with many countries in various levels of lockdown.

And USA have now taken the lead in cases - surpassing China and Italy.

Anyone want to have a stab at what the figures will be tomorrow. In 5 days from now, will we have 42k deaths as per above? What about 6 days after that - 85k? Or will the implemented strategies start slowing things down?

Not as much fun as a PJ Comp but I'll pick: 63,650 cases/ 3,050 more dead

• Like 1

Actually forget the bloody virus. here's an addenda to my other rant about money.

To transfer value of any kind from one person to another was taken away a long time ago. Money has no value in and of itself. We attribute it value, underpinned by what it 

represents. So for example rather than two people bartering with cows and chickens , someone can sell their Ten chickens , receive the value agreed for those chickens with paper that we agree represents the value of those chickens( represents is the key word here) and then turn around and buy a pig off of their neighbor  with this thing we call money. This is an agreement between two individuals . Let me repeat for you. Money in and of itself has no value!!!. Only the services , products and labour that are transferred . So, knowing that WHO do you think owns the rights to this transfer between 2 human beings?  Owning the money itself?. because we sure as hell cant just print it ourselves can we?. Thats right , wake up . 

The big boys at the top figured it out that if they controlled the means of transfer, they could print it endlessly, then charging out this non existent backed up by nothing paper, and charge it out at interest.

And now NZ and Australian taxpayers are going to be paying interest on nothing but paper for the rest of eternity .

That is the real "crime" with this whole "pandemic". 

Once upon a time past Govts and their constituents owned the rights to this means of transfer and printed money as required to flow into the Economy , to aid this ,at no interest ,or nationalized their currencies, so the bankers at the VERY top could not get their hands on the means of Transfer.

We are committing economic suicide due to ignorance, and this virus will pail into insignificance in comparison.

But hey, what would i know. ? I am not an economist right?

I'd say the issue is society. Money is just a facilitator to bartering. You don't have to use money to buy things. But if you do, you are accepting that the value of the paper represents the value of the other side of the barter.

Can you expand on your economic suicide statement. Are you saying we are committing economic suicide due to borrowing in order to provide social welfare to residents (instead of just printing more money and giving it to them)? Or is the suicide in regards something else?

Edited by mardigras

1 hour ago, mardigras said:

I'd say the issue is society. Money is just a facilitator to bartering. You don't have to use money to buy things. But if you do, you are accepting that the value of the paper represents the value of the other side of the barter.

Can you expand on your economic suicide statement. Are you saying we are committing economic suicide due to borrowing in order to provide social welfare to residents (instead of just printing more money and giving it to them)? Or is the suicide in regards something else?

You are missing the point Mardi.  We have lost control of the bartering system, and are beholden to the control, where whether we like it or not to provide social wellfare to "society "we end up as I said borrowing endless amounts of worthless value and paying interest on it.  

The world doesn't live in credit anymore , it lives with ever increasing debt. Its who controls the debt repayments that bothers me as we have lost control of it. You and i will be paying it back in perpetuity. In a nutshell we are stuffed.

8 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

You are missing the point Mardi.  We have lost control of the bartering system, and are beholden to the control, where whether we like it or not to provide social wellfare to "society "we end up as I said borrowing endless amounts of worthless value and paying interest on it.  

The world doesn't live in credit anymore , it lives with ever increasing debt. Its who controls the debt repayments that bothers me as we have lost control of it. You and i will be paying it back in perpetuity. In a nutshell we are stuffed.

I think that we have been stuffed in that regard well before now. We haven't had control of the bartering system in my lifetime.

3 hours ago, Hesi said:

The mongrels at the Herald scaremongering again

85 new virus cases, one in intensive care 

You read further down to find that person had a significant underlying health issue

i think you are missing the point of the headline, mate ..the intensive care bit is new ...and the underlying health issue is a very common factor in nearly all ICU cases we are going to get...the whole point of lockdown/minimising physical contact is to give everyone (most of em with an underlying health issue such as respiratory illness and/or heart disease history) a better chance of getting into a IC bed when it happens. We've only got 170 such beds in our hospitals... 

unless I am mistook, we have 1 person requiring ICU from 283 cases ... but the infection rate is climbing as more tests are done and more people return from overseas.... if community transmission goes up sharply in the next week or so, its v likely a lot of (older) people will require hospital care ...and some of them will need IC beds ...we don't want them all having to go there all at once.

We are learning, too, that the virus hangs around on surfaces for days ...so sanitising at supermarkets/petrol stations, pharmacies, etc, where we're still allowed to go, is important.

MM

27 minutes ago, Maximus said:

i think you are missing the point of the headline, mate ..the intensive care bit is new ...and the underlying health issue is a very common factor in nearly all ICU cases we are going to get...the whole point of lockdown/minimising physical contact is to give everyone (most of em with an underlying health issue such as respiratory illness and/or heart disease history) a better chance of getting into a IC bed when it happens. We've only got 170 such beds in our hospitals... 

unless I am mistook, we have 1 person requiring ICU from 283 cases ... but the infection rate is climbing as more tests are done and more people return from overseas.... if community transmission goes up sharply in the next week or so, its v likely a lot of (older) people will require hospital care ...and some of them will need IC beds ...we don't want them all having to go there all at once.

We are learning, too, that the virus hangs around on surfaces for days ...so sanitising at supermarkets/petrol stations, pharmacies, etc, where we're still allowed to go, is important.

MM

But Sydney-based virologist Timothy Newsome has explained that while "every surface is a hazard" – even vegetables – extreme measures aren't necessary.

"You cannot get risk down to zero, but if you look at how people have got infected, they're not being infected through those kind of supply chains," he told news.com.au.

"The actual transmission events that we have described are sustained in close contact between people. We didn't see the kinds of reduction in some of the countries that have been a bit more successful in managing the outbreaks if it was that level of contagious."