The Race Place

Covid-19 update

pete

On 4/20/2020 at 6:35 PM, barryb said:

The trouble is Hesi, guys like yourself, Craig, VC, Maxi I thought were intelligent enough people until you blew my bubble of illusion about you, I now stick you in the same camp as nuts whom believe in religion.

Oh well, we can all still get along for the greater good I guess, I can tolerate your nutty ideas & you can tolerate me being right.

I see the knives are out for Bridges

I'm intelligent enough to see that he is losing the party and the public with his judgement,  and losing the public with his demeanor

He is a very intelligent and accomplished young man, but he is no leader, not even remotely close

If the Nats want to make a go of it, they must replace him with someone relatively new.  And by that I don't mean people like Collins or Bennett

Just repeating  my prediction,  Ardern will lead Labour to victory in Sept  then after a period of grace  step down as PM and Robertson to take over.  Someone else according  to Ted who was out of their depth, but has handled themself without missing a beat.

There you go, an openly gay PM 

All hail our Dear Leader.

Loved (not!) the way she tried to shut down a question on the vaccines yesterday by simply saying 'I disagree'.

No reasons given why. We just have to take her at her word.

I understand you think the sun shines out of her rear end Hesi but I think you are ignoring the stark economic facts that will be very evident by election time.

Also, if I'm asked to 'be kind' once more I'm going to lose my equilibrium.

It's so patronizing.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hesi said:

I see the knives are out for Bridges

I'm intelligent enough to see that he is losing the party and the public with his judgement,  and losing the public with his demeanor

He is a very intelligent and accomplished young man, but he is no leader, not even remotely close

If the Nats want to make a go of it, they must replace him with someone relatively new.  And by that I don't mean people like Collins or Bennett

Just repeating  my prediction,  Ardern will lead Labour to victory in Sept  then after a period of grace  step down as PM and Robertson to take over.  Someone else according  to Ted who was out of their depth, but has handled themself without missing a beat.

There you go, an openly gay PM 

No Nat would want to lead them into the upcoming elections.They are on a hiding to nothing.

JA gets so much positive air time(rightly or wrongly) thanks to our weak media..She has developed the Helen Clark method of answering questions and our weak media let her get away with it.Facts are facts and charisma and a frown can't change that.

This Keytruda issue that is developing could be an interesting campaign policy to attack her on.

Bridges could get plenty of brownie points if he starts attacking on the Keytruda drug fiasco.

• Like 1

Subtle change in media tactics over the last 7/10 days.

Announcements of deaths were always the main news with the PM or the Director of Health expressing their sympathy.

Now the announcement of deaths comes after the announcement of new cases.

Probaly means nothing however it must have been done on the advice of the PMs media team for a reason.

8 hours ago, pete said:

All hail our Dear Leader.

Loved (not!) the way she tried to shut down a question on the vaccines yesterday by simply saying 'I disagree'.

No reasons given why. We just have to take her at her word.

I understand you think the sun shines out of her rear end Hesi but I think you are ignoring the stark economic facts that will be very evident by election time.

Also, if I'm asked to 'be kind' once more I'm going to lose my equilibrium.

It's so patronizing.

I think this all has forced many businesses to think about how they do business, and quickened the way many were either moving in or had not yet moved.  Many things that will become the new norm over the next year, and those that don't adapt will get usurped by those that do, competition

The tourism sector and to a lesser extent the hospitality business are difficult ones

But I'll give you an example of what I mean.  My son's fiancee works for a large insurance company, everyone now works from home, and they are consequently looking at selling the large building they occupied and owned, and finding something smaller, as only a percentage of the workforce is needed onsite  full time.  That should mean lower overheads, which should be reflected in premiums.  Also a lot less travelling costs for those based at home.

This Covid 19 has forced big changes on business, many of which, will become the norm.

I fear for racing though, they seem to bumble on as though very little has happened and with this huge lumbering top heavy administration.

As we have talked about Pete, they really are dinosaurs, like someone else we know

• Like 1

Prime Minster Scott Morrison has indicated Australia will first reopen its borders to New Zealand when it is safe to do so as COVID-19 infection rates in each country decrease significantly.

In what could prove to be good news for the Warriors in their bid to avoid a lengthy relocation to Australia when the NRL makes its proposed May 28 return, he said in a media conference on Thursday that he has discussed the border reopening with New Zealand leader Jacinda Ardern.

However, neither country is yet to nominate a date for when travel will be permitted between the two nations.

"If there is any country in the world with whom we can reconnect with first, undoubtedly that's New Zealand,” the Australian Prime Minister said.

(Isn’t it great the ANZAC spirit is alive and well)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ngakonui grass said:

No Nat would want to lead them into the upcoming elections.They are on a hiding to nothing.

JA gets so much positive air time(rightly or wrongly) thanks to our weak media..She has developed the Helen Clark method of answering questions and our weak media let her get away with it.Facts are facts and charisma and a frown can't change that.

This Keytruda issue that is developing could be an interesting campaign policy to attack her on.

Bridges could get plenty of brownie points if he starts attacking on the Keytruda drug fiasco.

Too late, I fear for Nats under Bridges. His attempts to criticise the Govt response to Covid have been largely firing blanks.
Nats best chance of winning 2020 election is if a second wave of Covid whacks us this winter and forces us back into lockdown and overwhelming our health system. Does anyone really want that scenario to unfold? Howver, when the real Winston (Churchill) won the war in May 45, he didnt win the election in July...so there's always hope! Kiwis prefer a Nat Govt in tough times...and now that Jacinda has borrowed $50b or however much it is ....

Edited by Maximus
  • Like 1

Interesting bit of Mathew Hooton's piece in the Herald this morning. You can't really deny the second paragraph. If anyone but Ardern was in charge they'd be toast already and there's every chance they will be because people nearly always vote with their pocket.

But it is essential National plays to win. Ardern may be one of the world's best symbolic communicators, but that can't hide her Government's profound incompetence.

It has failed utterly on housing, wellbeing, child poverty, tertiary education participation, school management reform, freshwater allocation, cleaner rivers, the capital gains tax, openness and transparency, mental health and even gun reform. Growth was slowing before the world had suffered even its first case of Covid-19.

Ardern closed the borders well after Australia, costing a handful of lives, and her health authorities have proven incompetent at distributing either flu vaccines or PPE.

Looking ahead, Labour's lack of commercial experience in its senior ranks — with the exception of Attorney-General David Parker, seemingly sidelined during the Covid-19 crisis — makes it ill-suited to preside over tens of billions of dollars of post-Covid-19 infrastructure spending, let alone chart a course to pay it back.

Undeterred, Finance Minister Grant Robertson is now planning to use Covid-19 as the excuse for a radical new agenda based on the "future of work" vision he worked on in opposition but has barely progressed in Government.

Covid-19, Robertson told Business NZ last week, "is the challenge I have been waiting for".

According to Robertson, the "future of work" is not just about "decent work and higher wages ... but also working differently, drawing together business, unions, academics, entrepreneurs and more to develop ideas and solutions".

This is just the failed tripartitism of the 1970s with fancier PR.

There is everything, therefore, for National to fight for. It has an obligation to its own supporters and all New Zealanders to find a candidate for Prime Minister that the public might at least listen to.

• Like 1

Old news Hesi he's not so partisan these days. And can you really dispute what's said in paragraph 2. Failure after failure.

If you read some of his recent columns you'd realise that.

It's ok if you want to keep sipping the kool aid mate. No problem with me.

On 4/23/2020 at 9:12 AM, Hesi said:

And talking about scaremongering in the press and a certain other channel that they are putting the future health of NZ'ers in jeopardy by cancelling elective surgery.....well they are not

Urgent and semi-urgent continuing, and starting to feed through non-urgent stuff

I had semi-urgent eye surgery during level 4 lockdown

By the way, if anyone has such like planned and is worried, don't.   The most painful thing was when they pulled off the tape that was used to hold my head still

hope you can see clearly now, Hesi, old son..the proof will be in your results in PJ's Comp tomorrer LOL. 

I spoke to the head of a dept in a DHB yesterday ...hospital is 'quiet' at present and they have 'ways and means' of getting some elective urgent surgery done...they are much better prepared for a winter surge in respiratory cases now

Edited by Maximus
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Maximus said:

hope you can see clearly now, Hesi, old son..the proof will be in your results in PJ's Comp tomorrer LOL. 

I spoke to the head of a dept in a DHB yesterday ...hospital is 'quiet' at present and they have 'ways and means' of getting some elective urgent surgery done...they are much better prepared for a winter surge in respiratory cases now

25 minutes ago, Maximus said:

If he could just take off his Jacinda spectacles he'd have 20/20 vision 😄

• Haha 1

Just now, Hesi said:

I have what is called a gas bubble in the eye to hold the retina in place so it does not detach

It is sulphur hexa fluoride and will slowly absorb over six weeks, but at the moment it is like looking thru a bloody fish bowl!

My mate actually had the same thing a couple of years ago. All cleared up nicely.

Look at how quickly some of these fine dining establishments have moved to encompass the new norm

Culprit:

Culprit's at-home meal kits include pork stuffed roast duck breast. Photo / SuppliedCulprit's at-home meal kits include pork stuffed roast duck breast. Photo / Supplied

Chef Kyle Street and the team at central Auckland hot spot Culprit have created a special At Home menu, so you can turn your own home into a restaurant. Taking pre-orders now for Wednesday, April 29 onward, treat yourself to a three course meal kit for two, ready to go heat and eat meals, plus desserts.

Deluxe meal kits: A starter of fig leaf-infused panna cotta with walnut & vincotto, a main of pork stuffed roast duck breast served with confit duck leg salad, and a baked pavlova, boysenberry and lemon curd dessert. $90 for two.

Heat and eat: Choose from kimchi braised beef brisket, pork cheek flour tortillas or roast cauliflower and falafel. $55 for two.

Something sweet: Indulge in baked pavlova or peanut slab mousse at just $12 for two. 
Weekend specials: Try their clam and roast fish bouillabaisse on Fridays, or braised lamb neck roast dinner on Saturdays.

Delivery options: Pick up or free contactless delivery available within a 3km radius of Culprit on Auckland's Wyndham St.

Pasta & Cuore

Pasta & Cuore specializes in handmade fresh pasta using quality ingredients and traditional methods. Photo / SuppliedPasta & Cuore specializes in handmade fresh pasta using quality ingredients and traditional methods. Photo / Supplied

The closest thing you'll get to Italy for a while, Mt Eden's dreamy Italian restaurant Pasta & Cuore is also adapting to level 3 restrictions by offering handmade, fresh pasta to cook at home - plus a range of authentic ingredients and dishes available for takeaway.

Takeaway: Choose from dishes like tagliatelle with classic Bolognese ragout and spaghetti alla chitarra topped with creamy gorgonzola lombardo and wild walnuts, both $28.

Make your own: Order pappardelle, tagliatelle and spaghetti for $6 per 100g, potato gnocchi for $7, tortelloni and ravioli for $10 and tortellini for $11. 
Pair with one of their favourite sauces including creamy parmigiano for $5, or a hearty lamb ragout for $7.

Cheeses and chacuturie: A range of selected Italian cured meats and cheeses, including prosciutto di parma and parmigiano reggiano are also available.

Heat and eat: Choose from lasagne with classic Bolognese ragout or lasagne with mushroom and truffle, $25 and Roman style Semolina Gnocchi or Polenta with homemade pork sausage ragout (GF), $20.

Something sweet: Top off that pasta with a tiramisù or panna cotta with chocolate and toasted almonds.

Delivery options: Tuesday to Sunday, 5pm - 8pm. Pickups available between 11am and 7:30pm Tuesday to Sunday.

Paris Butter

Paris Butter is offering some of their personal favourite dishes, french classics and gourmet comfort food for heat and eat. Photo / SuppliedParis Butter is offering some of their personal favourite dishes, french classics and gourmet comfort food for heat and eat. Photo / Supplied

Nick Honeyman's Herne Bay restaurant, which picked up a rare perfect score when it was reviewed for Viva by Jesse Mulligan last November, has a delicious "PB to go" menu ready for customers.

Heat and eat: Featuring the team's personal favourite dishes, French classics and gourmet comfort food, Honeyman and his crew will have a different menu for each day of the week, consisting of sourdough, a main and dessert for $39.

Delivery: Contactless delivery will be available to certain areas from 4-6 daily. Find out more here.

Pasture

During level 3, Ed Verner's award-winning Pasture will be operating as Pasture Pantry, a contactless takeout service offering three unique produce and pantry boxes geared towards a variety of cooking abilities - plus, to give you that unique restaurant ambience, access to Pasture's playlist. 

Meal kits: In what is likely the most gourmet food box in the country, you'll get Pasture's 120-aged New Zealand wagyu beef, live Chatham Islands lobster from the tank, Pasture sourdough, one-year aged butter, and a voucher to access to Pasture's music playlist.

Offerings range from an la carte selection of sourdough bread at $15 to a "Hell's Bells" box at $420, which will include a small gift from Verner's secret new project, "Boxer".

Orders and pick up: Order through Tock and items can be arranged for pick up every Wednesday (with a Sunday 9pm order cut off) and Friday (with a Wednesday 9pm order cut off) between 5 and 7pm.

Soul, Euro, Jervois Steak House and Andiamo

This collection of Nourish Group restaurants is launching My Nourish Kitchen food boxes, allowing Aucklanders to recreate some of their favourite dining out dishes at home.

Meal kits: You'll find all the ingredients and easy to follow instructions to make the likes of Andiamo's chicken parmigiana with mozzarella and Neapolitan tomato sauce, and Euro's smoked Taupo lamb shoulder with wild wheat tabbouleh, labneh and pomegranate. And that's just for week one. A two-person box for four nights will set you back $175. Or if you've got a bigger bubble you can go for a four-person box for $340.

Orders and delivery: Place your order by 10am Friday and you'll have your food box delivered on Saturday. Available for Auckland delivery only, find out more here.

Sidart, Cassia and Sid at The French Cafe

Award-winning Auckland restaurateurs Sid and Chand Sahrawat have created "AtHome" dishes that speak to the cuisines of their three restaurants: Cassia (contemporary Indian), Sidart (elevated or progressive Indian) and Sid at The French Café (French Inspired New Zealand Cuisine).

Sidart At Home: Choose from six delectable dishes including lamb meatballs with almond korma and market fish with kerala sauce for $45 per person plus two family-sized options.

Cassia At Home From beef short rib to lamb seekh kebab curry, Cassia is offering an a la carte menu with snacks, entrees, mains and desserts. Main dishes come with rice and naan bread and are priced at $29.

Sid at The French Cafe At Home: In the mood for something French? Look no further than the chef's interpretation of five classic dishes including beef bourguignon with truffle fries or Duck à l 'Orange. Dishes come with salad, house-made sourdough and dessert for $45 per person. Two family options are also available.

Orders and deliveries: Contactless pick up and contactless delivery is now available, offering lunch Wednesday – Friday and dinner Tuesday – Saturday.

Amano

Amano Bakery will reopen next week. Photo / SuppliedAmano Bakery will reopen next week. Photo / Supplied

While Amano's restaurant is closed, their CBD bakery will be open under level 3.

From Wednesday 29th April from 7am to 4pm you can order food on their Amano Bakery app and collect it via a pickup window.

They'll have cakes, pastries, ready to go meals, and takeaway coffees – along with basic pantry items like fruit and vegetables, meat, eggs and Amano pastas and sauces to prepare at home.

Heat and eat meals Alongside Amano bakery menu favourites, they've got dinner all sorted with heat and eat family style meals, like Shorthorn beef and pork lasagne.

• Like 1

And perfect examples from NY Times, of why our borders have to remain shut

Hot spots

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mardigras said:

They protected their borders pretty quickly - and since all cases initially come from overseas, a good strategy.

More quickly than our border response ?  [ I think the answer is yes, but just making sure ]