The Race Place

Covid-19 update

pete

You would have thought that allowing say 200 people onto a racecourse, signing  everyone in and out via a register, would be only a small job and inconvenience, if it allows racing to resume albeit on a limited level

Even if they are able to pre test all those concerned in advance

8 minutes ago, Hesi said:

You would have thought that allowing say 200 people onto a racecourse, signing  everyone in and out via a register, would be only a small job and inconvenience, if it allows racing to resume albeit on a limited level

Even if they are able to pre test all those concerned in advance

Yes, although they'll need the same at the training facilities I'd say. And manual signing of registers is probably not a very "clean" process. Everyone would need to handwash afterwards. And temperature taking and reporting of any symptoms à la the Keeneland protocol is probably also smart if not essential.

Edited by curious

Bar codes, scan people in and out, can all be done

Completely revamp the calendar, regional only racing, once per week with race types and stakes to be determined, based on the horses available

Te Rapa, Awapuni and Riccarton

Only one problem, and it is something that should have been addressed many years ago, the tracks won't handle it, especially as Winter is approaching

Just a few thoughts

• Like 1

It's all about finding a way, and historically the racing industry have not been what you would call, 'the great adapters'

New World Kumeu have been doing this for a week now

Covid 19 coronavirus: Pak'nSave, New World supermarkets trial queue in your car system

No, they haven't been great at ' finding a way '   as you state. 

I'd like to be thought a glass- half- full person, not the other kind,  but honestly ?

From what I've seen here, there isn't the thought process or educational background to make a dent in this.

Racing at Riccarton itself could be managed well enough, Pam Hughes ( who worked in Biosecurity for a number of years)  outlined a process that she thought would work, and be acceptable. 

But the training side of things would be a nightmare.   Staff don't live in, but come from all over,   and many of the young ones have no idea about the importance of observing certain procedures and don't give a toss.

And to implement any sort of additional security would cost money; I feel that is going to be in very short supply at club level.

Edited by Freda

Just an example of how lax we are...my stable worker is from the UK, and he took horses to meetings for his bosses when there.  He told me that once a runner had competed,  and was signed out to be transported home, the loosebox that it had occupied was immediately cleaned of all bedding,  sprayed with Virkon, and relaid with fresh shavings ( or whatever).

A fresh runner could be stabled very soon after in very hygienic conditions. 

This is, according to him, standard practice and long before Covid-19 times.

I was shifted to the ' visitors'  stabling area last year when my yards were being repaired.   I discovered my allocated boxes had not been emptied from the last racemeeting, and when I mentioned that fact, I got attitude plus from some in the hierarchy.   When it was time to go back to my own block,  we made sure we emptied every box - and got it in the neck again from the course manager for not filling them with fresh sawdust.

No, I don't see much light in that particular tunnel. 

41 minutes ago, Freda said:

Just an example of how lax we are...my stable worker is from the UK, and he took horses to meetings for his bosses when there.  He told me that once a runner had competed,  and was signed out to be transported home, the loosebox that it had occupied was immediately cleaned of all bedding,  sprayed with Virkon, and relaid with fresh shavings ( or whatever).

A fresh runner could be stabled very soon after in very hygienic conditions. 

This is, according to him, standard practice and long before Covid-19 times.

I was shifted to the ' visitors'  stabling area last year when my yards were being repaired.   I discovered my allocated boxes had not been emptied from the last racemeeting, and when I mentioned that fact, I got attitude plus from some in the hierarchy.   When it was time to go back to my own block,  we made sure we emptied every box - and got it in the neck again from the course manager for not filling them with fresh sawdust.

No, I don't see much light in that particular tunnel. 

I imagine that liberal supplies of VirkonS would be a big part of any sensible protocol that meets MPI standards. I hope Pam Hughes' protocol can be tabled at tomorrow's NZTR/all club teleconference on this.

How do you all  see the next few weeks/months/years unfolding? 

Thoughts from a well connected relative as follows. 

Plus:

NZ has a small population, and a low density of people compared to others.

Nz population in general is healthy,which deaths should be minimal. 

Minus:

NZ's economy is not big enough to  cope with this type of event and the country is going to take while to recover,and we are talking  years.

The predicted 10 fold in unemployment will be a screen, when in fact the numbers will be up to 20 fold.

There will be a selective and regional reduction to level 3, to keep people spending, which in turn keeps people in jobs and vice versa.

That is probably the most important thing, get people spending

More and more people will be allowed to conduct their business online, such as the many shops that have had to close because they did not sell essential goods.  No carte blanche opening of malls and shops though.

Anything that might mean close personal contact, will still be a no no.

Necessity is the mother of invention, people will adapt and find a way, let's hope NZ racing is in that boat

54 minutes ago, Freda said:

She looks highly pissed off.    How did she do that?

No idea, she's a cattle dog, runs at a million mile an hour everywhere, and was bred by my son to help him with the bulls he is running, but the bulls are still laughing, so I got her, as I had become very attached to her

I was told the border collie breed adopt one person and own them

55 minutes ago, Hesi said:

No idea, she's a cattle dog, runs at a million mile an hour everywhere, and was bred by my son to help him with the bulls he is running, but the bulls are still laughing, so I got her, as I had become very attached to her

I was told the border collie breed adopt one person and own them

Not sure about that, plenty of good work and trial dogs are sold on and work well for their new owners.

My greyhound seems to like meeting new people,  I reckon he would go off to a new family quite happily too, but my crossbred is very possessive and won't look at anyone else.  Just the nature of the individual dog I suppose.

1 hour ago, mardigras said:

Love him or hate him - no one would wish this on anyone.

Would have to agree Mardi! A bit like Marmite! But did get the Brexit deal through parliament pretty quickly and was up front with financial support in this current situation. 👍

Here is one for you guys who swing to the political left or right. 

A company that is classified as an essential workforce in these uncertain times, and when other companies  in the same industry are  laying off workers etc , have brought forward their pay rise for workers (agreed by shareholders)and have retained their entire workforce,have had it rejected by unions as not being enough! It was made clear that there would probably be  nothing in the pot later this year and the company was trying to support their employees!

Still rejected 🤔

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, mardigras said:

Love him or hate him - no one would wish this on anyone.

Well said Mardi, this is the ugly side of social media, anonymous people personally denigrating others, either directly or wishing bad fortune on them.

Hate it, would much rather close the site down than let it become acceptable

I agree in principle with the idea of regional-only racing to resume as soon as practicable  ... 1 June earliest, more likely 1 July... but where? It makes complete sense to utilise Ruakaka rather than Ellerslie, Avondale or Pukekohe through the winter - even if one of the Auckland courses was preferred could NZTR pay direct travel expenses for visitors and/or noms/acceptances?

Would some trainers relocate their winter teams to Ruakaka? I heard that Jamie Richards was considering sending a team up north for the 2020 winter (long before Covid took over our lives). Ritchie and Marsh have already had some limited experience with this approach.

Which Waikato/BOP venues to share the load? Matamata, Rotorua, Te Rapa, Te Aroha and Tauranga I guess -