The Race Place

Covid-19 update

pete

23 minutes ago, ngakonui grass said:

The head nodding,frowning and gritting of teeth today is worthy of an OSCAR nomination in the Best Animated Series group

Be careful what you wish for NG, you could end up with the school teacher ma'am(Collins), telling you what to do in no uncertain terms

17 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

This is what it has come down to. My family in Melbourne have had people scream at them for having an opinion contrary to the inept Victorian Govts handling of it,and also abuse on social media. It has pitted citizen againsted citizen ,quite scary stuff. 

Not good, and an timely reminder about robust debate for sure, but leave out the personal denigration

9 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Yep

Probably better that she focuses her nose on the Covid situation in the UK, than trying to stir it up out here.  Plenty to be circumspect about over there

Whilst the article was a bit overblown there were some elements of truth in it. We don't have any Plan B here other than waiting for a vaccine that may never appear.

5 minutes ago, pete said:

Whilst the article was a bit overblown there were some elements of truth in it. We don't have any Plan B here other than waiting for a vaccine that may never appear.

If it doesn't which I think is likely then Plan B is the status quo for the time being. Get used to it.

2 minutes ago, curious said:

Yep.. Appears to be to me. You have a better idea?

Yes I do but I'm not going to expose myself to ridicule on here.

You do realize that every time we go to anything approaching L3 more businesses will go to the wall.

I guess when you are employed in the state sector it doesn't seem so important.

3 minutes ago, pete said:

Yes I do but I'm not going to expose myself to ridicule on here.

You do realize that every time we go to anything approaching L3 more businesses will go to the wall.

I guess when you are employed in the state sector it doesn't seem so important.

I am not employed in the state sector. I'm semi-retired and self-employed. I  don't actually think that has much to do with it however. The state sector will change dramatically too.

Just now, curious said:

I am not employed in the state sector. I'm semi-retired and self-employed. I  don't actually think that has much to do with it however. The state sector will change dramatically too.

I actually wasn't implying you were. Apologies for that. It was directed at Wellington bureaucrats.

3 minutes ago, pete said:

I look around the town where I live and most of the businesses are hanging in there for the moment but a couple more L3s will finish them.

That's hardly unusual but probably exacerbated by Covid at the mo. It's a risk of business. Most don't survive long term.

Here’s what failure rates look like broken down by year:

• First year: 21.5%
  • Second year: 30%
  • Fifth year: 50%
  • 10th year: 70%

3 minutes ago, curious said:

That's hardly unusual but probably exacerbated by Covid at the mo. It's a risk of business. Most don't survive long term.

Here’s what failure rates look like broken down by year:

• First year: 21.5%
  • Second year: 30%
  • Fifth year: 50%
  • 10th year: 70%

Exacerbated is an understatement. Auckland CBD revenues dropped $19 million in the first week of the latest restrictions.

7 minutes ago, pete said:

Exacerbated is an understatement. Auckland CBD revenues dropped $19 million in the first week of the latest restrictions.

Yet the dairy farm next door is taking on new staff, building new houses for them, undertaking other capital expenditure etc. A few years back they had to put all that on hold and barely hang in there. It's the nature of business and Covid happens to be just the current major impact on that.

Edited by curious
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, curious said:

Yet the dairy farm next door is taking on new staff, building new houses for them, undertaking other capital expenditure etc. A few years back they had to put all that on hold and barely hang in there. It's the nature of business and Covid happens to be just the current major impact on that.

That is one of the benefits of keeping NZ Covid free, the primary industries sector.  My son is actually a trainee farmer, and when we were re-financing(you will know Pete what I am referring to), the bank had no qualms at all about the security of his income, all they wanted was to look at his bank statements.  However me with my small business, got put through the hoops.

Many small businesses will go to the wall, they may have anyway.  An opportunity for people to re-assess and re-align where  there incomes may be more secure.  The business attrition rate in hospitality is high

The lady neighbour I have mentioned on here before, she is the one requested as the travelling chef when Bob Dylan goes on tour.  Well all of that is gone in the short to mid term, so she is looking at a business supplying a delivered, bit more upmarket meal to the rural community, who may be working long hours

And by the way, while you fellas are busy saying how much the Nats are better at business, I can't actually find any policy they have relating specifically to the primary sector.

Labour released this about 6 weeks ago

Labour’s plan

Labour is already rolling out our plan to back our primary sector to generate an additional $44 billion in export earnings, create and maintain jobs, and improve environmental standards to support New Zealand’s brand for a clean, healthy and productive future. That’s why we are:

• Creating 11,000 Jobs for Nature in regional New Zealand, including boosting weed and pest control programmes, which will protect farmers against costly pests like wilding pines and wallabies, and clean up our waterways
  • Making apprenticeships and trades training in targeted areas free, giving primary sector employers a new stream of new workers to upskill and employ
  • Investing significantly to help rural communities and fishing communities recover from COVID-19, including funding to increase access to support, financial and continuity planning advice and wellbeing services
  • Backing the horticulture sector to seize new opportunities for growth and stay ahead of international competitors, including funding to enable the introduction of imported plant material for the sector to develop new high-value crops and cultivars
  • Supporting farmer-led solutions through our Productive and Sustainable Land Use package, with a focus on promoting farm land-use practices that deliver more value and improve environmental outcomes.

4 minutes ago, barryb said:

Isn't it incredible how fall into line Kiwis are, really how the f--k are  South Islanders not kicking up a bloody shitstorm over this.

They are seriously being screwed over by Comrade Cindy & they are fall into line dummies.

Probably agree with you on that one, no reason the SI could not have gone to Level 1

• Like 1