The Race Place

Covid-19 update

pete

3 hours ago, Maximus said:

got the stats for other 'Western' countries USA, Canada, France, Germany,others?

US 150%                                   Canada 260 

Oz 200                                     UK 225

France 266                            Germany 154

etc.

https://tradingeconomics.com/country-list/private-debt-to-gdp

• Like 1

This could presumably potentially shut down racing there?

Victoria facing NZ-style hard Stage 4 lockdown

22/07/2020|4min

Sky News Political Editor Andrew Clennell says Victoria could face a New Zealand-style hard lockdown with the state expected to record an increase of almost 500 new coronavirus cases. "A federal source has said it would be devastating for the Victorian economy but would benefit the rest of Australia," Mr Clennell said. Under the Stage Four restrictions, supermarkets, food banks, pharmacies, liquor stores and corner stores would be the only businesses permitted to remain open. "Everything else was shut essentially and that is what we're looking at here," Mr Clennell said. "That's what's being discussed in the federal government and Victorian government because the numbers are spiralling out of control despite the shutdowns." Image: News Corp Australia

2 hours ago, curious said:

22/07/2020|4min

Sky News Political Editor Andrew Clennell says Victoria could face a New Zealand-style hard lockdown with the state expected to record an increase of almost 500 new coronavirus cases. "A federal source has said it would be devastating for the Victorian economy but would benefit the rest of Australia," Mr Clennell said. Under the Stage Four restrictions, supermarkets, food banks, pharmacies, liquor stores and corner stores would be the only businesses permitted to remain open. "Everything else was shut essentially and that is what we're looking at here," Mr Clennell said. "That's what's being discussed in the federal government and Victorian government because the numbers are spiralling out of control despite the shutdowns." Image: News Corp Australia

Yes, going to be interesting - given the revenue the gov makes from racing there - especially Vic and the spring carnival. Let's see what unfolds.

22 hours ago, mardigras said:

But the future is looking a lot better than I would have expected.

You are not alone there. We are so run off our feet with new builds, renovations, Commercial and Industrial add-ons it beggars belief. 

And house prices here are still on the up. Covid19, what Covid19. I really think some of the regions have rebounded much quicker than the Metropolitan areas.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

You are not alone there. We are so run off our feet with new builds, renovations, Commercial and Industrial add-ons it beggars belief. 

And house prices here are still on the up. Covid19, what Covid19. I really think some of the regions have rebounded much quicker than the Metropolitan areas.

Great news - hope it continues.

23 hours ago, mardigras said:

I don't think the worst should have happened yet, not by a long way. But the future is looking a lot better than I would have expected. I was expecting half a million on the unemployment benefit (work ready).

I don't think that will happen this year or anytime in the next few years.

Where do you see things in NZ in 12 months, bearing in mind the world situation seems to preclude any opening of the boundaries.

Victoria, with 484 new cases today, don't seem to be able to control it, and it appears they are just hoping it doesn't take off in NSW

3 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Where do you see things in NZ in 12 months, bearing in mind the world situation seems to preclude any opening of the boundaries.

Victoria, with 484 new cases today, don't seem to be able to control it, and it appears they are just hoping it doesn't take off in NSW

I expect some increased job losses as crunch time hits some business. But I also expect that some business are going ahead better than before and that may lead to increased worker opportunities. 

So a realignment of industry to suit the climate. An increase in unemployment but then a turnaround by early/mid next year. Some possible shift in house prices in the big centres, offset in the regions, with a mindset change around the need to be in the area you work.

Of course, depending on whether the government returns us to more serious restrictions or whether they can come up with a testing process that can give trusted results in a short timeframe (in regards the borders).

Nothing too specific there as there is still a lot of unknowns Might sound harsh, but some of the changes caused by this disruption may result in a better balance around some industry. I've long been of the view that things like the restaurant/hospitality sector is overweight and needed some shedding. That will likely happen.

An analogy might be like the purpose of a storm in nature and its effect on the forest/bush.

It gets rid of all the weak and rotten trees and vegetation, that fall to the forest floor, and rot away, forming a layer of humus that enriches the remaining vegetation

Just now, Hesi said:

An analogy might be like the purpose of a storm in nature and its effect on the forest/bush.

It gets rid of all the weak and rotten trees and vegetation, that fall to the forest floor, and rot away, forming a layer of humus that enriches the remaining vegetation

I can identify with that. Growth for growths sake doesn't make sense. It gets pounded into us, " grow the economy". So we end up as an example in this town of 20 ,000 , 5 furniture outlets,including the big players, untold food outlets including all the big payers, 2 odd building company's, etc etc. What I call saturation selling, and some have now been cut off at the knees. Some of the big players destroyed smaller businesses here, and then fell over themselves leaving the carnage. Frankly in a sort of morbid way Covid has done us a favour, and normal transmission has been resumed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, curious said:

22/07/2020|4min

potentially an upside for the NZ TAB ...weekly turnover could go through the roof .

7 hours ago, Maximus said:

potentially an upside for the NZ TAB ...weekly turnover could go through the roof .

Yes but only because just about every week they give me 10 or 20 bucks to play with,which I do and promptly give it back ,but turnover goes up on their spreadsheet. Keep it up TAB, lots of fun playing with losing punters money. 

Great business model though.pphhhtttt.

1 hour ago, Maximus said:

if we are racing and Vic is not, Vic punters may acquire a short-term interest in betting more on Kiwi races ...4-6 weeks lockdown stuck at home ... 

Maybe increasing racefield fees. But they would still have the racing in the other Oz jurisdictions.

Would any increased off-shore betting (the fees related to that), offset the betting normally done directly through NZ TAB on those Vic races, even if NZers bet more on NZ racing due to not having Vic racing to bet on?

1 hour ago, Maximus said:

if we are racing and Vic is not, Vic punters may acquire a short-term interest in betting more on Kiwi races ...4-6 weeks lockdown stuck at home ... 

Don't see how that will increase NZTAB turnover. The same punters betting the same amounts on different events?

4 minutes ago, curious said:

Don't see how that will increase NZTAB turnover. The same punters betting the same amounts on different events?

And Vic punters can't bet on NZ TAB (without getting around geographic rules). So at best, they can increase the race field type fees NZ would receive by those punters betting more on NZ racing than before (whilst spending less on Australian jurisdictions).

NZ punters at best, might spend more on NZ racing, even if the same amount overall as you say. The only potential benefit there being less racefield type fees being paid out.

The likelihood of NZ racing doing better out of that is low. If things such as Melbourne Cup was cancelled, that is the biggest single racing betting day through NZ TAB each year. I don't think those once a year punters will shift their punting to Ellerslie that day.

21 hours ago, curious said:

700+ new cases in Vic today. I'd say they are completely stuffed and numbers creeping up in NSW is worrying as well.

20 hours ago, Hesi said:

Surely the Spring racing carnival must be in jeopardy now

It could well be. I think the government may have a say in regards the level of taxes it generates. If things keep getting worse, it becomes increasingly likely of being cancelled, but at this point, I'm not convinced it will be. If there is an outbreak among jockeys, then there may be little they can do.