The Race Place

Covid-19 update

pete

1 minute ago, curious said:

I agree with that but don't see what's wrong with the tracing app?

Not pushed enough and maybe they should have had an option of one that didn't use camera technology to enlist a location. I don't have the answers, but I think the complacency existed that meant they didn't explore all avenues..

3 minutes ago, craigos1 said:

Yes I have the Tracing App and have used it everywhere I"ve gone since the latest outbreak.

It has worked 100%.....so I don't understand what is wrong with it?

Yes likewise, also always use a mask and hand sanitiser and social distance.....just doing my bit

That's what fucks me off Barry, people doing their bit, at significant cost to themselves, in the case of many businesses, yet that protest in Auckland or wherever yesterday, all in the name of freedom, but no one social distancing, no one with masks, all potentially jeopardising other people's freedom

It's just bullshit

• Like 1

Also, they required business to have a QR code label. Yet that came out when they sent Auckland to level 3. I know many organisations that did not even receive their code from MBIE until after the deadline - so therefore no code to scan. Simple stuff that should have been done before the cases arrived.

55 minutes ago, barryb said:

Hmmm, sounds like you have adopted the same thinking as Vladamir. Calm down comrade, its a free speaking country even if it is loonies like Ted.

Almost 3 years later after I started that Jacinda Ardern thread on RC, and that pea brain, is still copy and pasting every day, every anti Ardern article he can find, all of them by anonymous people.

Just hope he never has anything to do with the running of racing in NZ

3 minutes ago, mardigras said:

Also, they required business to have a QR code label. Yet that came out when they sent Auckland to level 3. I know many organisations that did not even receive their code from MBIE until after the deadline - so therefore no code to scan. Simple stuff that should have been done before the cases arrived.

QR codes compulsory from Wednesday midnight last week weren't they?

2 minutes ago, curious said:

They didn't receive the code they had to generate it themselves and in my experience it was instant.

Yes, but it didn't work for everyone, so some didn't realise they could do it again, to generate it. Remembering you are dealing with all levels of society and understanding.

Edited by mardigras

5 minutes ago, mardigras said:

I thought the idea of a cross Government task force to administer and manage the situation had legs.

As I have said before many things have had to be learned, many mistakes made and things that could have been done better, but by in large not bad compared to other parts of the world

So, say the Nats get in, and they want to do all these things that are part of their policy, do you think the same scenario won't happen, of course it will.  The Health chief(Bloomfield, who is apolitical and expert), has already debunked part of the Nats policy.  So, we start all over again

Just now, Hesi said:

I thought the idea of a cross Government task force to administer and manage the situation had legs.

As I have said before many things have had to be learned, many mistakes made and things that could have been done better, but by in large not bad compared to other parts of the world

So, say the Nats get in, and they want to do all these things that are part of their policy, do you think the same scenario won't happen, of course it will.  The Health chief(Bloomfield, who is apolitical and expert), has already debunked part of the Nats policy.  So, we start all over again

Don't get me wrong. I think what they have done in the current situation is fine. However, I think they had to do this because they hadn't got their ducks lined up before it happened. Doing that could have alleviated some of the damage to business that may eventuate due to having a wider impact than I think necessary. i.e. treat it like the virus will return to the community and put in the processes and expectations BEFORE it happens.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mardigras said:

My comment is non-political. I don't give a toss who makes the decisions.

In theory you are right, the practicalities and logistics of such a huge exercise are another story, especially when these huge Government departments frown upon pro-activity and just getting on with it.

Saying they need to be held to account, is therefore not workable

Add to that, 25% of the population just won't do it, because they feel it impacts on their rights  They of course will be the first with their hands up, when they don't get the health services they feel they are owed.

A bit like the smoking issue.

Always a balance between the macro and the micro.

7 minutes ago, Hesi said:

The app has always worked for me as well.

A lot of people just won't use it, whether it is a good or bad app, because they feel it impinges on their rights.

How do they know it is any good anyway, if they don't have it!

Looks like the level of control has worked with yr indocrination Hesi. I wont use it for my own reasons,and agree with Barry that it was poorly thought out and technically inferior.

Will I put my hand up, no , because our Health system is already stuffed so my level of expectation is low anyway. . Please dont send flowers, just top up the TAB account for those left behind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Unfortunately, yes.

I've been a non-partisan voter for most of my life,  I don't have rigid views, but over the years, have chosen parties/candidates that most reflect my opinions and thoughts at any given time.

Most people, I think, go into politics out of a genuine, if often misguided notion that they can do some good.  Occasionally a loose cannon like that stupid Lee-Ross, and arrogance that has been seen recently too, but nothing out of the ordinary when you look at the values and behaviour prevailing in modern society.

That doesn't make Jacinda 'God' ,  but neither does it brand her with a triple 6.  She's just a woman thrown into a situation that I think is starting to unravel through poor process.  Could just as easily have happened under Bill, John, or Helen - although I think the latter two might have been quicker to jump on systemic failings.

But, the health system is in disarray, she didn't cause that, but it doesn't seem as if anything positive has been done to start to remedy things either.  As for Ashley...?   He's just a civil servant, no doubt a decent bloke, but how did he get to be the face of all this?   Shouldn't he be sticking to his knitting....sorting out the disfunctional CDHB would be a good start surely..

I'll be hoping for a change at the top, to try and 'get things done'  irrespective of some personal antipathies inherent.

Edited by Freda
  • Thanks 2

So, any solutions

NZ cannot keep going into lock down each time we get community transmission.

It cannot keep it's borders closed forever.

Better contact tracing such as Sam Morgan's lanyard, but how may will wear it?

Mandatory masks in public, but how many will abide?

Perhaps the issues will be resolved by a vaccination, but how long will that take?

1 hour ago, barryb said:

The issue is Hesi, you have an entire country in a state of lockdown for a localised infection as it stands right now.

Firstly let all areas Taupo south go to level one from Wednesday, leave Auckland and Waikato at level 2 for 3 more days.

All of this of course was caused by serious ineptitude & financially its costing bigtime. The other issue is its costly in terms of support for further lockdowns/issues as the public response is waning on this already.

A wrong move by her today and shes toast at the election, listening and acting only on a few so called experts from the health sector is fraught with serious consequences for NZ.

What about the Isle of Northland Barry?