The Race Place

Golf

Midnight Caller

Smith was brilliant  last week! Always on the short list  but thought he may have needed a run fresh up.

Lost my 30 quid ,with Im and Morikawa showing glimpses of form in the first tournament of the year. 

This week we step it up a bit in Hawaii and Queensland. 

Queensland: He will be hard to beat, but no value in hot fav Lee. I've  gone with two Queenslanders with course form in Smylie and Sim

USA: Stable runner Im warmed up nicely last week and loves the Bermuda greens. 1st round leader=

Im  Smith  Na   Davis Grillo Jones  Herbert Leishman Kirk Wu

Plenty of tournaments  this week, but I'm just  concentrating on the main two. I try and stay away from the fav's ,as you know! But finding it very hard this week.

Abu Dhabi: Morikawa  is about to tee off and i thought 17/2 in that field was pretty good  value.

USA :  Cantlay has enough meat on the bones at 9/1 .Hadwin good value in the T10/T20 market. The only other I considered was Kim.

Round up from last week.

Individual  selections  all started, but couldn't go on with it!

I'm surprisingly missing  the cut and the two Aussies not keeping up, with Smylie the bestwith a T11 finish.

But all was not lost, with  Kevin Na having an outstanding  first round of 9 under par to give us a 2pt profit for the week

• 2 weeks later...

Hoping this finds RP today! Tried  on Wednesday to put up my selections, only to find my nemesis the frozen submit  button  back to haunt me(I blame  the Russians)so I gave up after 1/2 hour.

We are now heading into the 2nd round, so this is how things look so far.

USA: I went with Palmer because  of course form, and is holding his own but 5 or 6 shots off the pace.

Dubai: Went with Morikawa again as he was nearly double  the price of last week.He is a good 6 or 7 off the leader as he begins  his  2nd round.

Morikawa and Meronk were the closest  from the 1st round leader crew. Kicking myself  a little for not spotting  Hansen  in the field,  as I had a good collect off him in November when he won at Dubai 🙄.

But I am happy with the way the weekend has started with 1st rnd leader Horschel from my 8 selections, for a tidy  profit so far.

3 1/2 pt spend 

My smokie for the last 2 rounds in the USA is Zalatoris, starts slowly but generally finishes strong.

Heads up for Captain  Pete, you may have to cover me if selections  for the PJ comp don't get through on Saturday. 

Round up from last week. 

Morikawa missed the cut.

Hadwin was sniffing  around the T10/T20 section, but lost touch on the last day.Cantlay couldn't go on with it after leading  for the first 2 rounds, but we got back a little on him for 1st round leader. 

Loss of 1 1/2 pts

Long night for me with Palmer and Zalatoris both in contention in the USA.

On another note. How disappointing was that hyped up De Shambles,who missed  the cut on a course designed  for long drivers!

Good to see Lydia leading going  into the last round.

Pebble Beach USA    3 1/2 pt spend

Note they play over 3 different  courses at this tournament,  where I think  good iron players are key.

Cantlay and McNealy

1st rnd leader: Based my selections on players out on the Monteray Pen course as it has been known to play a fraction easier than the other two course and winds look a consistent 11-15kph all day.

Cantlay  McNealy  Griffin  Palmer  Streelman  Rai  Putnam

Those looking for T10/20  value   Hahn Putnam Knox

Teeing off on the same course as last week in Saudi in about 4 hours.

There is no  reason  why Hojgaard can't  go back to back after monstering the course last week  and 14/1 is a good price(was expecting  single digits).The only other two I considered  were Detry and for the T10 Pulkkanen @a tasty 9/1.

USA: The two for me are Hovland  and Matsuyama   with Putnam T10

On 2/10/2022 at 11:26 AM, Midnight Caller said:

Teeing off on the same course as last week in Saudi in about 4 hours.

There is no  reason  why Hojgaard can't  go back to back after monstering the course last week  and 14/1 is a good price(was expecting  single digits).The only other two I considered  were Detry and for the T10 Pulkkanen @a tasty 9/1.

USA: The two for me are Hovland  and Matsuyama   with Putnam T10

What great round by Ryan Fox. Didn't I read somewhere he was coming home because he might be balloted out of tournaments?

7 hours ago, slam dunk said:

What great round by Ryan Fox. Didn't I read somewhere he was coming home because he might be balloted out of tournaments?

Outstanding  63 in the first round and has just finished  with a -3 for his 2nd round and leads on -12.

He wasn't  on the betting plan this week, but did put a little £5 on him and Hansen (suggested ew selections  last week at this course)as a side bet.Hope that bogey on the last doesn't  come back to haunt him! Young Hillar leads in S A  also, Fox/Hillar 1st rnd double for you Kiwi followers would have paid out over 3500/1.

Hojgaards brother Ras could be the danger in the later rounds.

In the US,Matsuyama has started solidly and looks my only hope this week.

Results from the last couple of weeks. 

Zalatoris  and Palmer  fell agonisingly close  to a nice collect on the last day, but all was not lost as Horschel took out 1st round honours with  a nice 10.5 pt profit. 

Last week, Cantlay  and Putnam's disappointing back 9 put pay to a nice collect and faded  for place money with 2.5 return, for a 1pt loss for the week. 

Go Ryan tonight !!!. 6 shot lead should hold up even though I've backed Rob McIntyre. Arnaus is the danger man.

Kiwi's could have been last start winners of 4 major golf tours.

Lydia Ko last start winner LPGA

Steve Alker last start co winner but lost playoff on US Seniors Tour

Daniel Hillier hopefully a last start winner on the secondary European Tour

Ryan Fox odds on to win tonight.

• Like 1

Surely Fox has enough  shots in hand for this tournament Slam dunk! He played that front nine brilliantly yesterday. First 4 holes will give you the answer, the market for the winner without Fox is where the value was last night Meronk  4/1(-13)  Cortzee 28/1(-11)

Edited by Midnight Caller
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Midnight Caller said:

Surely Fox has enough  shots in hand for this tournament Slam dunk! He played that front nine brilliantly yesterday. First 4 holes will give you the answer, the market for the winner without Fox is where the value was last night Meronk  4/1(-13)  Cortzee 28/1(-11)

Time has proven having a large lead going into the final round is not an easy thing to manage. Lead is already down to 5 and he hasn't even teed off yet.

I hope he wins!

It's a four prong attack in the class  Genesis field this week. 

Four lads who love Californ I A  Morikawa Burns Matsuyama Johnson         People looking for some  value Bradley@130/1

Harrington is a worthy  fav in the champions tour event and could have some of these old boys gasping  for breath 1pt @7/1

Last week, only Matsuyama  scrapped into a place which left us with a 1pt loss for week. 

Not on the betting plan, but a nice little collect off Fox @60/1 for my side bet £5. Nervous front 9 holes by Fox  but the birdie at 12 and a fantastic  recovery on 14 (I think) kept the chasers at bay.Well done Ryan Fox.I thought  he was a good ew chance the week before because  the course suited him,only to find out he had back problems.

• Like 1

Morikawa  2nd placing clawed back some, with a 1pt loss last week.

This week we are in Florida, and I have gone back to the stable with Horschel and Im.People looking for value with course  form, Young, Mitchell,Pan, Noren.1st  round leader have taken 10 players

Japanese  players Kawamura  and Kinoshita will be tough in Thailand, while Langer is in top form on the Champions Tour and could round off some small trebles with H, I , K, K combo.

Good luck this week

• Like 1

This week I took Russell Knox to miss the cut, he’s currently 14th favourite to win the tournament 

I thought there might be a little value there, the last 5 years he’s played the course he’s missed the cut 4 out off 5 he’s gone into a few multis at around 3s

• Like 1

The last person you want leading  the 1st round, is a 13/1 shot Rory!

Im  Zalatoris  and Scheffler all came up short, so 6 bullets left to tople Rory.

Burns  Hatton  Horschel   Laird  Putnam and Lipsky who came up a couple  of  shots short in the 1st round  last week, a player who I rate coming up from the Korn Ferry circuit

Attacking 3 tournaments  this week.

The unofficial 5th Major (The Players)with a winners cheque  for US$3.6 million, has drawn an outstanding  field with loads of players putting their  hands up for selection. 

Really  tough to get the shortlist  down this week, but we have gone with 3 strong Florida players holding a bit of value. Matsuyama -Smith -Lowry. Weather is looking a little unsettled, so I am thinking these guys can tough it out. IM was last off the shortlist. Roughie Harman

MyLifeGolf  South Africa 

Again, any number of 10 could easily  salute the judge. Settled on stable runners Veerman - Burmester Nienaber last off the list

Honda LPGA Thailand

Thitikul - Minjee Lee. Only other 2 on shortlist  were Yang and Tavatanakit. 

I hope selections  may help some  of you into a multi or 2 with the Gee gees on Saturday. 

4 weeks out from the 1st Major!

Come in VC

8 hours ago, barryb said:

Years ago I attacked golf markets with heaps of vigor & it was incredibly lucrative. Heres how I went about it.

The best market to consider & one that has overlays all through it is the H 2 H markets.

Firstly if we assume that Betfair overall markets for a tournament are as close as we can get to a true outcome guide then this is the first part to consider.

Then look at the H 2 H markets individual players across the bookies line those players up with where they are in the overall market & you will find stacks of anomolies. 

For example

My Golf Life Open

Veerman & Bekker are both at say $26.00

In a H2H market Bekker is say 1.90 & Veerman is $1.80

In theory they should both finish the tournament on the same score, yet in the H2H market there is a clear edge to Bekker, so Bekker becomes the bet in the H2H market. now set up sheets to easily record this & I would factor in an overlay margin of above 5%.

Its a license to print money untill more than a few of your accounts get restricted or closed.

Yes, definitely  money to be made on the HTH market Barry. I have looked at it, but feel I probably  need to be in my semi/retirement days to  do it justice time wise and to find the best match value. 

• Like 1