The Race Place

National Championships Super Comp Results Thread

PWJ

12 hours ago, Blind Squirrel said:

Congrats to both the Turbos and Blues for a stirring battle that went down to the wire!!

You were too good for me today Howie - right from the opening whistle so well played.

Looking forward to next week and some bigger dividends perhaps!!

As always thanks to PJ for a big day scoring all this carnage!

Thank you Blind Squirrel .... you chased me all the way to the wire, and even though I had picked 8 out of 9 you still had a chance of beating me in the last with your BB. You're a very tough opponent.

Hard luck my 'Blues' boys .... going down on a 'countback' is a tough way to lose, but the good news is ...we've got much better days to come for us 'Mighty Blues'. At the 100m mark Cisco Bay went up to win for Gordy in the last to give us the victory, but compounded. C'est la vie.

Onwards and upwards.

Thanks, PJ.
I like the 'invisible' posting ...... I don't feel bad now when I land up with the same selections as my opponent in any given race, when posting second. 🙂

• Like 4

3 hours ago, von Smallhaussen said:

Keep that blue dress on Maria and boogey on to Uriah Heaps - 'stealin'

Take me across the water, cause I need some place to hide

someone here is going to be sitting in watching 😉

haha cows are amazingly very good swimmers 🤣 but I promise to be on my best behaviour for our date on the champagne turf! 🤗 

Edited by Dancing Show
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TooFast said:

Thank you Blind Squirrel .... you chased me all the way to the wire, and even though I had picked 8 out of 9 you still had a chance of beating me in the last with your BB. You're a very tough opponent.

Hard luck my 'Blues' boys .... going down on a 'countback' is a tough way to lose, but the good news is ...we've got much better days to come for us 'Mighty Blues'. At the 100m mark Cisco Bay went up to win for Gordy in the last to give us the victory, but compounded. C'est la vie.

Onwards and upwards.

Thanks, PJ.
I like the 'invisible' posting ...... I don't feel bad now when I land up with the same selections as my opponent in any given race, when posting second. 🙂

That was a short exposition Howie. You feeling alright?:classic_tongue:

• Haha 5

Post-raceday observations from Captain Max

• Canes unusually quiet. Not a peep. Not even a doff of the cap to the one-eyed Cantabs ... shellshock?
  • Howie unusually brief. Already preparing for the northern invasion next Saturday and a H2H agst Sharne.
  • Not seeing your opponents picks is fab but it'd be great if PJ could post (or PM) the match-ups picks prior to race 1 so I can keep tabs with progress.
  • In a 7-week league, any team that scores heavily with  a Joker play is in the box seat. Betcha Flyin's narrow loss could prove crucial to the final result. Exciting times ahead.

MM

14 hours ago, Maximus said:

• Not seeing your opponents picks is fab but it'd be great if PJ could post (or PM) the match-ups picks prior to race 1 so I can keep tabs with progress.

Max, the selection thread was opened up ten minutes before the first race on Saturday, to allow everyone to see everyone else's picks. Were you not aware of that ?

1 hour ago, sharne said:

good game vs just couldnt get ahead at the right time

we have 3 wins in the parliamentary sea eagle back to back wins and trisha lea

what horses were yours

I'm guessing VS is referring to Strapped For Cash (or maybe Laceration)

15 hours ago, Maximus said:

• Canes unusually quiet. Not a peep. Not even a doff of the cap to the one-eyed Cantabs ... shellshock?
  • Howie unusually brief. Already preparing for the northern invasion next Saturday and a H2H agst Sharne.
  • In a 7-week league, any team that scores heavily with  a Joker play is in the box seat. Betcha Flyin's narrow loss could prove crucial to the final result. Exciting times ahead.

MM

Hey MM

As PJ said the selection thread was opened up on comp closing time. I did post an advice to that effect but you must have missed it.

• Like 1

This will be controversial, but I personally do not like the new format.  It gives the comp a sort of detachment, whereas originally everyone could watch as different opponents and teams posted during the morning, (add in some banter), in some cases days before hand, that in itself even attracted some banter.  Now everyone posts behind closed doors, and when the comp starts the door is opened, and no one really is interested to see what different people have posted, other than looking at what your opponent has.

Strategic selecting was always part of the comps, it never really upset too many people, and not that many strategically posted anyway.  Maybe if posting second the rule should have gone out to 10 different selections to provide a bit of motivation for people to get their selections in sooner.

I personally hope you reconsider PJ

• Like 1

Max will try to explain and try to keep it brief (never easy).

Max creates an Excel spreadsheet for the KKs match-up, entering the picks for the10 tipsters.
Under the new format, when the thread is opened 10 just minutes from R1 start time, Max has to open each person's selections and enter the data onto his spreadsheet.

Before, Max could trawl through all 40 sets of selections (if he wanted to) on one thread. And that was fun, esp when (eg) a ruffie had got home and you didn't know who'd picked it (usually Gee/ Rex/Roland/Jen/Rob)

The solution for Max is for PJ to PM the team and H2H match-ups prior to the start of R1 ..(eg last Saturday, KKs v Steelers 5 x matches)

Maybe this is an unwelcome burden on PJ - in which case, Max says let's go back to the previous format!

MM

Edited by Maximus

32 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Adding in, someone commented there was not as much banter this week.

Well there will be no banter until the comp starts, how can there be

So does that go for the Harness comp as well Hesi. Pete obviously got himself detached from the net so couldn't open up the selections, although PJ tried. We did have some that asked to see their opponents selections as the H2H,s were put up earlier on. Maybe discuss this with Pete as he is the tech guy, and has to be around all the time(although as he mentioned he does have a life outside this site, and fair enough) to make sure things are opened up just before the comp races start. 

Robust debate is always healthy, and I respect your point of view.

17 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

So does that go for the Harness comp as well Hesi. Pete obviously got himself detached from the net so couldn't open up the selections, although PJ tried. We did have some that asked to see their opponents selections as the H2H,s were put up earlier on. Maybe discuss this with Pete as he is the tech guy, and has to be around all the time(although as he mentioned he does have a life outside this site, and fair enough) to make sure things are opened up just before the comp races start. 

Personally I think its overkill for the Harness Comp especially.

It was mainly put in place to stop people covering other people's selections but I'd be willing to bet that most people are like me and don't bother looking at other people's selections.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

That is really your's and Rex's choice, personally I did not see the point of it in Harness.

Nothing to do with any tech problems, always it is what makes the best format

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

Adding in, someone commented there was not as much banter this week.

Well there will be no banter until the comp starts, how can there be

There is also the aspect, there is no point in the lead up to the comp starting(when they are posting their picks), for anyone to do a spiel like Howie or Maxi, no point in any goodnatured gamesmanship, no point in wishing the other side good luck etc etc, because by the time it is able to be read, for a start no one is going to read it, or very few, and it is out of context of the flow of the comp...sort of

23 minutes ago, Hesi said:

That is really your's and Rex's choice, personally I did not see the point of it in Harness.

Nothing to do with any tech problems, always it is what makes the best format

Fair enough, I shall talk to Rex and we may go back to type. Doesn't bother me one way or the other. 

50 minutes ago, Say No More said:

So as well as Peter recording all 40 sets of picks, advising captains of any issues with their team's picks and posting his "Ferdies go ahead ...." updates before the first race, you also want Peter to message each of the teams their H2H match-ups prior to the start of Race 1 ??

Just so you don't have to open nine posts (other than your own) to enter the picks in your spreadsheet?

Looking to find fault SNM ? - as usual,  I might add - any rational reader of my post would clearly recognise that I do NOT want to add to PJ's burden - the point is, that putting everyone's picks on a individual thread is a pain in the Mustelidian butt. If the (x4) team contests/matchups can be posted prior to R1 Max is a happy camper. If that cant be done comfortably, well I'm with Hesi on a reversion to the old way.

Opening the picks thread with just 10 minutes to go is problematic, IMO ...another solution might be to close off selections an hour earlier, so the 'selections thread' is viewable well in advance of Comp R1 and all involved have enough time to check whatever/whoever's picks they're interested in. (I know darn well SNM will want to see Maxi's.)

MM

Edited by Maximus

3 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Not withstanding the points made by SNM and Maxi, with the new format the good spirited banter is not able to start until the Results thread becomes active, so there is a whole morning of 'quiet', which I think takes away from the comp

agreed, I for one missed having 3 full days to assess my opponent Richie's picks

MM