The Race Place

The A-Z of Harness Racing Great Horses you might remember.

Lightning Blue

20 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Can't remember the Number 19's at all. couldn't even imagine trying to round that many up ahead of you.

This old boy STORMY MORN often had the 'last ' number 18 off his handicaps.

Here he (Stormy Morn ,18 )  goes closing in late as per usual at Auckland with gritty determination, only for that slippery young devil , Sir Castleton , to slide up long the rail for yet another Win. 

Actually LB..as fate would have it..STORMY MORN also WON at Alex Park wearing # 19.

The 1982 Rowe Cup..*Stormy Morn #19 off 15m bt Kenwood Song..Sir Castleton..Jenner.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lightning Blue said:

Yes , Robert was out of the blocks like Usain Bolt and rounded up a field of Sharp S NZers which I tried to match with some Aussie ones . Allstars were barred for being to modern lol.

NEW ZEALAND                AUSTRALIA
Stanley Rio                    Shakamaker

Stella Frost                   Smooth Satin

Sole Command             Steel Jaw

Speedy Guest               Sokyola  

Sapling                          Sinbad Bay

Stars and Stripes          Smoken Up       

Skipper Dale                 SlipnSlide

Smiling Shard                Sir Reilly

Sharp and Telford         Sushi Sushi

Stunnin Cullen               Sting Lika Bee

Surprise Package          Safe And Sound

Just looking at some 'S' for Squaregaiters now , and when Josias put up Special Pride, it reminded me of this other nice trotting mare that used to take her on. Can you get this one Globe ? while Robert is trying to pick someone to beat my Oz pacing line-up lol.....

DSC02657.JPG

Sure Mart. 

Edited by Globederby19
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

Don't forget Robert helps run or does run the NZ Trotting Hall of Fame. apart from his love of Harness his memory is prodigious and he is a nice bloke to boot. 

Don't think Robert would be able to get me out of the place if/when visit. I hope to visit this man too.

The legend himself !!!, and what a great photo the morning after winning an Interdominion heat lol 

His fine horse catching up on the news and views too hahahaha

DSC02663.JPG

• Like 1

Just now, Lightning Blue said:

Oh What !!!!! I was hoping the stallion pose, the thick neck, the stallion bridle , might of been too much for Robert . alas......

81-0. sob......

LB.

I do hope you can get over to see the Hall of Fame sooner rather than later, as the uncertain situation with the Auckland Trotting Club, might make the HOF location in jeopardy.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Double R said:

LB.

I do hope you can get over to see the Hall of Fame sooner rather than later, as the uncertain situation with the Auckland Trotting Club, might make the HOF location in jeopardy.

Would be great. Love all the old stuff . Heres a photo of my granfather winning a race in Tas , when they often had the Saddle and gig combined. My dad said Cecil Devine could of been in this race at Elwick , and possibly a Noble too. 

No description available.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dancing Show said:

Sugar Ray Robinson  .. for Max 💖

Hey maybe you know Max, Maria?. He was a very funny chap. used to host a few of us young fellas like Marky boy and Mango over his place at Clevedon on Sundays, and had a great old time. Here's Max in more vigorous action on a Saturday evening trying to catch the ever elusive Charlie Hunter . I think Sugar Ray here ran second to Disco Dancer 6 or 7 times . Max looks a little flustered in this one !! lol.....

DSC02664.JPG

1 minute ago, Lightning Blue said:

Would be great. Love all the old stuff . Heres a photo of my granfather winning a race in Tas , when they often had the Saddle and gig combined. My dad said Cecil Devine could of been in this race at Elwick , and possibly a Noble too. 

No description available.

If you come over LB, I can come up, and as I have said to Rees previously, open the place up for you anytime, for a long as you like, over as many days as you like. There everything there from, trainers colours, photos, trophies, Cardigan Bay's horse shoes, the first mobile barrier that was used, early tote machines, and examples of tickets, including written ones that were done at the TAB, and heaps more.

• Thanks 1

Hey maybe you know Max, Maria?. He was a very funny chap. used to host a few of us young fellas like Marky boy and Mango over his place at Clevedon on Sundays, and had a great old time. Here's Max in more vigorous action on a Saturday evening trying to catch the ever elusive Charlie Hunter . I think Sugar Ray here ran second to Disco Dancer 6 or 7 times . Max looks a little flustered in this one !! lol.....

DSC02664.JPG

At the Hall of Fame LB, you will see photos of Max, and his colours.

• Thanks 1

Max used to joke about that we should call him Sir Max , after he met the Queen herself , just after GREG ROBINSON won the Queen Elizabeth Cup at Addington lol.  ...... a special moment in time for a special man. 

DSC02665.JPG

That photo is in the Hall of Fame too.

34 minutes ago, Double R said:

If you come over LB, I can come up, and as I have said to Rees previously, open the place up for yo

The holy grail so to speak. Am very tempted to come up Robert. Don't have my family living in Cambridge any more so accomodation is a problem , especially for the unvaccinated. We have a network of places to stay that turn a blind eye but not in Auckland yet. This forum has wetted my appetite .

• Like 2