The Race Place

The A-Z of Harness Racing Great Horses you might remember.

Lightning Blue

37 minutes ago, Enteebee said:

Sir Castleton in retirement paddock in April 2003 - had to be fed mash as no good teeth left image.thumb.png.c09c069a366af2a8d048434b744b5c1e.png

What a lovely photo of a lovely horse !!!!

I had the great pleasure of seeing him go round many times (Akld and Moonee Valley) and the NZ 'Pocket Rocket' even had the total audacity to knock off the local tiny 'S' champ on her own turf lol.  (as seen here on one occasion in his fantastic racing days )

DSC02656.JPG

16 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

Crikey, I got left at the bakery today.

Yes , Robert was out of the blocks like Usain Bolt and rounded up a field of Sharp S NZers which I tried to match with some Aussie ones . Allstars were barred for being to modern lol.

NEW ZEALAND                AUSTRALIA
Stanley Rio                    Shakamaker

Stella Frost                   Smooth Satin

Sole Command             Steel Jaw

Speedy Guest               Sokyola  

Sapling                          Sinbad Bay

Stars and Stripes          Smoken Up       

Skipper Dale                 SlipnSlide

Smiling Shard                Sir Reilly

Sharp and Telford         Sushi Sushi

Stunnin Cullen               Sting Lika Bee

Surprise Package          Safe And Sound

Just looking at some 'S' for Squaregaiters now , and when Josias put up Special Pride, it reminded me of this other nice trotting mare that used to take her on. Can you get this one Globe ? while Robert is trying to pick someone to beat my Oz pacing line-up lol.....

DSC02657.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lightning Blue said:

You've done it Robert ...The completed the 'S' Interdominion field. ...............  amazing.

I'll match your great Nz 'AG. Hunter' Cup winners  of 'Surprise Package' and 'Stunnin Cullen' and see you have 'Smiling Shard' (3rd in Auckland Interdominion as well ,,,, into 3 x great Aussie AG Hunter Cup winners .'Sting Lika Bee, Safe and Sound and 'Sir Reilly' (for old mate Vinnie) and there we have it..... 

The Completed  Supreme S Interdominion GF Field !!!  try and pick the trifecta. I'd be going an Aussie one for sure.

1. Shakamaker.

2. Sokyola.

3. Smoken Up.

19 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Yes , Robert was out of the blocks like Usain Bolt and rounded up a field of Sharp S NZers which I tried to match with some Aussie ones . Allstars were barred for being to modern lol.

Just looking at some 'S' for Squaregaiters now , and when Josias put up Special Pride, it reminded me of this other nice trotting mare that used to take her on. Can you get this one Globe ? while Robert is trying to pick someone to beat my Oz pacing line-up lol.....

DSC02657.JPG

Sure Mart.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Double R said:

1. Shakamaker.

2. Sokyola.

3. Smoken Up.

3 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

I was wondering why Smokin Up wasn't in there. Cant leave him out.

Yeah i would probably go Smoken Up to win IMO. He has fast Miracle mile times and the NZ Cup placings were superb efforts. Beating Im TheMightyQuinn and Blacks A Fake at Auckland too gives him the title . (you can DQ him now lol..)  

anyway her's a trotter who really knew how to win an Interdominion (and keep it  )  Scotch Notch sits at the top of this tree of greats | National Trotguide 

3 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Yeah i would probably go Smoken Up to win IMO. He has fast Miracle mile times and the NZ Cup placings were superb efforts. Beating Im TheMightyQuinn and Blacks A Fake at Auckland too gives him the title . (you can DQ him now lol..)  

anyway her's a trotter who really knew how to win an Interdominion (and keep it  )  Scotch Notch sits at the top of this tree of greats | National Trotguide 

Scotch Notch.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Field Commander said:

S is for Bill Dentons free legged speedster Superior Chance

That's the one ! !!!!I was trying to think of another fast NZ pacer that raced free legged , after we were viewing Robalan yesterday. I'll see if I can find a Superior Chance photo. 

It is so very hard to train a horse to race with-out hopples. These horses are the bee's knees. you hardly ever see them !!

Amazing photo of Lawn Derby is in the 'L" 's of this thread. 

Here is one we were spoilt with in Queensland for quite some time . He could run 1.51 .5 without hopples. 55 career wins . Avonnova. here he is. fancy winning races in fast class without hopples ? freakish......

http://www.harness.org.au/news/images/main/12863.jpg

DSC02658.JPG

Edited by Lightning Blue
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

That's the one ! !!!!I was trying to think of another fast NZ pacer that raced free legged , after we were viewing Robalan yesterday. I'll see if I can find a Superior Chance photo. 

It is so very hard to train a horse to race with-out hopples. These horses are the bee's knees. you hardly ever see them !!

Amazing photo of Lawn Derby is in the 'L" 's of this thread. 

Here is one we were spoilt with in Queensland for quite some time . He could run 1.51 .5 without hopples. 55 career wins . Avonnova. here he is. fancy winning races in fast class without hopples ? freakish......

http://www.harness.org.au/news/images/main/12863.jpg

Although not an "S", Final Curtain was another very good free legged pacer.

20 hours ago, Double R said:

I can't recall any at the moment, but I remember a mare Via Veneto, getting to open class pacing, and producing a filly, then mare, called Via Volare,  that went onto graduate to open class as a trotter, winning 13 races in all.

I remember Via Volare well. Won a ton of races. Was given the tip for it on debut and told to keep it quiet. Put a heap on but so did half the country and it started one of the shortest favourite I have ever seen. It got rolled of course ! I did follow her though and later in life she strung plenty of wins together. She was by Butler Byrd and I remember my parents told me once that Colin Butler and his wife used to babysit me when I was a toddler so it seemed a good omen even though they had no connection to Butler Byrd !

Via Volare was a great name and in the 1990s I worked for a year for Hong Kong professional punter Graeme Mackie who owned a restaurant which I think was named Volare in Epsom across the road from Alexandra Park - almost beside the Lido in Manukau Road. Robert would know Graeme's partner Trish Dunell the equine photographer.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Field Commander said:

S is for Bill Dentons free legged speedster Superior Chance

Here he is !!!  Superior Chance with the late Derek Jones driving !!

32 minutes ago, Double R said:

Although not an "S", Final Curtain was another very good free legged pacer.

Never knew of him . but check this out !! the 1975 NZ Cup and your boy (FINAL DECISION is the one I think you mean? ) is 2nd to Lunar Chance. The defending champion and fellow Free-legged pacer ROBALAN there running 3rd ....

Lunar Chance must of been in a 'dream' thinking having an easy time against slower trotters or something, with his opponents being only 'Half Geared Up' without any hopples..... ..hahahaha 

DSC02659.JPG

DSC02660.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lightning Blue said:

DSC02657.JPG

Screws Loose?

44 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Here he is !!!  Superior Chance with the late Derek Jones driving !!

Never knew of him . but check this out !! the 1975 NZ Cup and your boy (FINAL DECISION is the one I think you mean? ) is 2nd to Lunar Chance. The defending champion and fellow Free-legged pacer ROBALAN there running 3rd ....

Lunar Chance must of been in a 'dream' thinking having an easy time against slower trotters or something, with his opponents being only 'Half Geared Up' without any hopples..... ..hahahaha 

DSC02659.JPG

DSC02660.JPG

Sorry, my mistake. It was Final Decistion I meant!!!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

**Final Curtain

Never knew of him .  

LB..FINAL CURTAIN was one of my early favourites at The Park.Trained by The Legend Roy Purdon,Driven by Barry.

A Magical Week was The Rowe Cup Carnival Of May 1976.

Opening Night 1609m WINS bt Ripper's Delight & Sole Command

Second Night 2200m WINS bt Sole Command & Tricky Dick

Third Night 2700stand 10metres WINS bt Young Tennessee & Sole Command

ROWE CUP..A full field of 15 starters,with 4 ballots.

Winner EASTON LIGHT # 19 off 40 metres.Doubt we will see that saddlecloth carried to victory at Alex Park again!!

Runnerup another S = Screw's Loose

Note,The Bar Area under Members Stand became known as EASTON LIGHT LOUNGE

Edited by Josias
spelling
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Josias said:

Winner EASTON LIGHT # 19 off 40 metres.Doubt we will see that saddlecloth carried to victory at Alex Park again!!

Can't remember the Number 19's at all. couldn't even imagine trying to round that many up ahead of you.

This old boy STORMY MORN often had the 'last ' number 18 off his handicaps.

Here he (Stormy Morn ,18 )  goes closing in late as per usual at Auckland with gritty determination, only for that slippery young devil , Sir Castleton , to slide up long the rail for yet another Win. 

DSC02661.JPG

• Like 1