The Race Place

The A-Z of Harness Racing Great Horses you might remember.

Lightning Blue

7 hours ago, Lightning Blue said:

"R' day for some Racey types.

The very first ever Miracle Mile winner in the 60's starts off a list of  45 Champions for that great race , ROBIN DUNDEE taking the first edition of the famous race,  for Robert Cameron in 1967.  

The poor darling couldn't get a NZ Cup, as had 3 x seconds in that race, (behind CardiganBay, Lordship and Garry Dillon)

This bloke could though !!!!    no doubt at the top of Globes favourites (and many others)

Racing with-out hopples on the legs is only achieved by freakish horses that are very rare indeed.

The late DD Nyhan, who passed away recently , seen here with the Champion. Think we all know this R for Ripper ???

DSC02649.JPG

Yep, Robalan.

• Like 1

Some more R's.

Robert Dillion.

Rain Again.

Royal Count.

Royal Ascot.

Radiant Globe.

Rocky Tryax.

Royal Waldolf.

Rain Girl.

Rolls Hanover.

Rostriever Hanover.

Reba Lord.

Rustic Lad.

Ritchi.

Raglan.

Roman Gladiator.

Real Force.

Rannach Lad.

Ripcord.

Raydon.

Ruling River.

Rebel Caste.

Ruling Caste.

Rocking Berry.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

crikey ! ......'Double R' Robert is a keen 'R' man alright and Rounded up plenty of them.

GlobeDerby with some more , and with his good eye for a Group 1 winning trotter , and Robert probably in town at Auckland to see this bloke win once or twice or many...... am surprised this bloke didn't get a mention .

Here he is . Who is this guy ?

DSC02650.JPG

13 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

crikey ! ......'Double R' Robert is a keen 'R' man alright and Rounded up plenty of them.

GlobeDerby with some more , and with his good eye for a Group 1 winning trotter , and Robert probably in town at Auckland to see this bloke win once or twice or many...... am surprised this bloke didn't get a mention .

Here he is . Who is this guy ?

DSC02650.JPG

Ritch Hill.

• Thanks 2

While the 'old' boys work out with the trotter above.....

Here's one for the younger players. Come in Karrots ??   This bloke was a Horse of the Year in NZ , with 14 from 14 one season as a 4 yearold.

Thankfully taking no serious 'issues' out of the NZ DERBY crash as a 3 yearold, where he was prone on the track for more than 10 minutes at the Addington winning post after the massive pile-up.

DSC02651.JPG

37 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Here's one for the younger players. Come in Karrots ??   This bloke was a Horse of the Year in NZ , with 14 from 14 one season as a 4 yearold.

Thankfully taking no serious 'issues' out of the NZ DERBY crash as a 3 yearold, where he was prone on the track for more than 10 minutes at the Addington winning post after the massive pile-up.

DSC02651.JPG

rack em up tiger pie

42 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

DSC02651.JPG

Don't know can only ask questions from 2018 ish 😄

31 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

For the World trotting lovers , here is a Special horse , who did the incredible achievement of racing over 300 starts for $2mill , in days when prizemoney much less than now. The 3 time American 'aged' Pacer of the year , he just never gave up and won 128 times !!!!   an amazing animal. !!

image.jpeg.ac256662c3242b13560cde27d059b385.jpeg

Rambling Willie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, karrotsishere said:

Altho now re-reading you mentioned a crash in Derby, maybe recall reading on a trotting forum something about a horse named Royden Glen or something .. on the money or way off?

On the money Karrots ...  Royden Glen coming from Royden Lodge , one of NZ 's most famous standardbred nurseries.

Type in "NZ Derby Pile up" , then put on your seat-belt and go on a Wild Ride. 

• Like 1

Here's a tricky one for you starting with the letter "A"-

Foaled at Dunsandel (a destination for me on my training runs in my days at Burnham) in Canterbury he went on to win more than 20 races despite his granddam being purchased to pull an egg cart !

Bonus points for naming the driver and track

Capture.JPG

21 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

On the money Karrots ...  Royden Glen coming from Royden Lodge 

So just saw he sired Lyell Creek, and the dam sire was Noodlum & looks like the mares family were also pacers. How did that happen re Lyell Creek ended up being a trotter? Was there trotting blood further back in dam side?

9 minutes ago, PWJ said:

Foaled at Dunsandel (a destination for me on my training runs in my days at Burnham) in Canterbury he went on to win more than 20 races despite his granddam being purchased to pull an egg cart !

Capture.JPG

Certainly looks like he enjoyed racing down under......

Looks like Jack Smolenski colours.? 

Edited by Lightning Blue

1 minute ago, PWJ said:

This one may be easier. Despite quite possibly the worst posed stallion shot ever in NZ Harness history this stallion went on to sire one of the greats of the 70s and 80s. Stood at Pukekohe

Cature1 (2).JPG

One small clue, he covered 8 mares in Scotland and got them all in foal !!!

37 minutes ago, PWJ said:

Capture.JPG

Arapaho.

Driver: Jack Smolenski.

Track: ? Hutt Park, or Greymouth?

1 hour ago, PWJ said:

This one may be easier. Despite quite possibly the worst posed stallion shot ever in NZ Harness history this stallion went on to sire one of the greats of the 70s and 80s. Stood at Pukekohe

Cature1 (2).JPG

I'll start the ball rolling on this and will probably miss the skittles completely...  Tudor Hanover ?

59 minutes ago, Double R said:

Arapaho.

Driver: Jack Smolenski.

Track: ? Hutt Park, or Greymouth?

I'm going to have to make these harder for you Robert ! Well done !

Actually I don't know the track. Was hoping some smart cookie like you could fill in the details