The Race Place

The A-Z of Harness Racing Great Horses you might remember.

Lightning Blue

8 minutes ago, Dancing Show said:

I'll start the ball rolling on this and will probably miss the skittles completely...  Tudor Hanover ?

Go to the top of the class, madam ! How did you know ? The Pukekohe factor ?

Sire of the great Delightful Lady of course

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PWJ said:

This one may be easier. Despite quite possibly the worst posed stallion shot ever in NZ Harness history this stallion went on to sire one of the greats of the 70s and 80s. Stood at Pukekohe

Cature1 (2).JPG

Interestingly Peter, out of 494 live foals that Tudor Hanover sired, you could count on one hand the number that made it to cup class.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dancing Show said:

Beautiful looker isn't he, and those four white feet 🙂    I was reading about Tar Heel a while back.

You might of seen the full sister to Delightful Lady by Tudor Hanover and also out of Desilu named DAVEY'S JILL?

I can't remember if they looked similar , but possibly did.

Davey's Jill was going around in the FFA Trots !!! while Delightful Lady was winning her 2 Auckland Cups.

How unusual is that ?? Two full sisters racing in FFA company Trots and Paces.  maybe never happened again? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

You might of seen the full sister to Delightful Lady by Tudor Hanover and also out of Desilu named DAVEY'S JILL?

Davey's Jill was going around in the FFA Trots !!! while Delightful Lady was winning her 2 Auckland Cups.

How unusual is that ?? Two full sisters racing in FFA company Trots and Paces.  maybe never happened again? 

Yes I remember Davey's Jill - both sisters were Black.   Tar Heel progeny lines seem to have produced a few pacers and trotters.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

I can't recall any at the moment, but I remember a mare Via Veneto, getting to open class pacing, and producing a filly, then mare, called Via Volare,  that went onto graduate to open class as a trotter, winning 13 races in all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PWJ said:

I'm going to have to make these harder for you Robert ! Well done !

Actually I don't know the track. Was hoping some smart cookie like you could fill in the details

Pretty sure that is the Wainui hill in the background on the left, and the stand is in the right place for Hutt Prk.

Happy hunting ground.

• Like 2

"S "is going to be littered with horses as well. 

I have to say for us older folks, that this trip down memory lane has been quite emotional. So many memory's from the 1960,s up till now and so many great horses, and also those favourite horses that maybe weren't top grade but added to the story.  Good fun this and has jogged the memory banks for things that have passed but have suddenly been bought into the light again and elicited some nostalgic times past. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Double R said:

I can't recall any at the moment, but I remember a mare Via Veneto, getting to open class pacing, and producing a filly, then mare, called Via Volare,  that went onto graduate to open class as a trotter, winning 13 races in all.

I remember Via Tanza as well.

• Like 1

Regal Light I want to add for the R's also - a handy Lordship gelding .. lovely horse that deserves to be remembered.

S's are going to start soon so I'm going to get in first with my list of horses I remember, as I prob won't get on till late morning tomorrow and Robert will have gone list ballistic by then 🙂 

Special Force

Stanley Rio

Sugar Ray Robinson  .. for Max 💖

Sun Seeker

Some Direction

Sundowner Bay

Sunease

Speedy Cheval .. for Marinus Vermeulen 💖

Sir Lincoln

Sushi Sushi

Spanker On

Sole Command

Splashed  - the skew mare 🙂 😍

So many others but go for it folks 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Dancing Show said:

Stanley Rio

'S' Day is for STANDARDBRED and 'Superstar' and 'Squaregaiter' too. so we will have a lot of fun through the day.!!!

I'll put up a Squaregaiter photos  'S' through the day for you guys to spot as there are LOT of GOOD ones. 

Also today for 'S' fun we have the 'S' Interdominion , 8 Aus 'S' horses v 8 Nz 'S' horses.......  

***** I will decide if nominations make the field of your open class Pacers. (one nomination at a time please)

from Maria I accept STANLEY RIO, a Nz cup, Auckland Cup and Interdominion winning qualifier. I'll match him with Aussie Interdominion winner 'Shakamaker'.   so the first 2 horses are In the Grand Final field .

Allstars trio of SPANKEM, SMOLDA, and SELF ASSURED will not be accepted. Too modern, too fast, too good, and would likely be the first three home in the race. go back 10 years or more to try and get your horse in. 

and here's the first trotter too ! whata beauty !!

Speeding Spur walks daily in recovery programme | Stuff.co.nz

37 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

'S' Day is for STANDARDBRED and 'Superstar' and 'Squaregaiter' too. so we will have a lot of fun through the day.!!!

I'll put up a Squaregaiter photos  'S' through the day for you guys to spot as there are LOT of GOOD ones. 

Also today for 'S' fun we have the 'S' Interdominion , 8 Aus 'S' horses v 8 Nz 'S' horses.......  

***** I will decide if nominations make the field of your open class Pacers. (one nomination at a time please)

from Maria I accept STANLEY RIO, a Nz cup, Auckland Cup and Interdominion winning qualifier. I'll match him with Aussie Interdominion winner 'Shakamaker'.   so the first 2 horses are In the Grand Final field .

Allstars trio of SPANKEM, SMOLDA, and SELF ASSURED will not be accepted. Too modern, too fast, too good, and would likely be the first three home in the race. go back 10 years or more to try and get your horse in. 

and here's the first trotter too ! whata beauty !!

Speeding Spur walks daily in recovery programme | Stuff.co.nz

speeding spur

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1