The Race Place

Arrogance

pete

haha

All credit to Ireland they started fast, got a good lead and absorbed everything the ABs threw at them.

Why the ABs didnt take the easy3pts out in front when they had all that momentum ...defies belief (its not as if we were 20pts ahead at the time.

Well done, Ireland.

12 hours ago, Maximus said:

This feels like the late 1990s Taine Randell era all over again ... must be them Waikato coaches ...

Don't forget John Mitchell, who made a whole lot of weird decisions when he was coach.

Apart from getting thoroughly outplayed, I thought a couple of tactical decisions were strange.  Why sub off your captain and on field leader with 15 min to go and the match was still winnable.  Why sub on RTS with 10 min to go.  A talented player, but with no test experience

• Like 1

I played rugby from an early age and was seldom away from Eden Park most weekends after age caught up with me.
In the last 10 years I hardly watch a game anymore, so unrecognisable the game has become. And I am not alone in this. 
I challenge anyone to watch 5 rucks/mauls, with the TV sound off and pick what the referee will see and do.
Gone are the days of players playing for fun and returning to their career when the back or knee had said “enough”.
You chose early in secondary school if you are going to be a “rugby player”. And we wonder why todays players cannot change tactics mid-match. But they can lift weights!
I always have a laugh when that KFC advertisement comes on the TV. All Blacks helping at the local clubs… give me a break! 
The thing I find the strangest in modern professional rugby are the substitutions. When amateur, many stayed on the bench week in and week out, with the best team on the field each week, for all 80 minutes. Yet now everyone gets a turn. No wonder there are no combinations, who knows who will be outside you at any given time in the game. And it shows. Get down to the last 15 minutes when you want your best players and all the reserves are on the field.
Fitzpatrick, one of the ABs greatest captains, always took the 3 points in front. “If they want to give us 3 points, I will take them” he would say.
As for today’s captain… hmmm.

• Like 4

The Irish did completely outplay the AB's though Geoff, 4 brilliantly constructed set piece/2nd phase tries, like the AB's used to do.  Even 2 of the AB's tries were as a result of individual brilliance.

What chance Foster stands down this week, for the sake of rugby in NZ.

I think Rich(LFV) made the telling comment that Foster and Cane have failed to take the NZ public along with them

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hesi said:

The Irish did completely outplay the AB's though Geoff, 4 brilliantly constructed set piece/2nd phase tries

Exactly. Might as well have swapped Jerseys, as the Irish played like we used to. Shuffling the ball sideways to players standing flat and getting knocked down on the fringes . Geeze I have seen better schoolboy Rugby. Ardie Savea the real standout for me and should be Captain, Cane looks as lost as his coach. Max you are right it feels just like that Taine Randell era, and plenty of these  are at the end of their use by dates  . Embarrassing to watch . 

• Like 2

Definitely outplayed in all facets. I am in total agreement.
I thought I was wrong in Test #1 but the pay off soon came in #2 and #3.
The only losing bet yesterday was that I had Ireland 11-20 and the margin was a flattering 10.
Ireland committed men to rucks and played more “old style” rugby. 
From #2 throwing in, to all the backs aimless kicking, I hope that USA company knows what they are buying in to.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JustPlodded said:

Definitely outplayed in all facets. I am in total agreement.
I thought I was wrong in Test #1 but the pay off soon came in #2 and #3.
The only losing bet yesterday was that I had Ireland 11-20 and the margin was a flattering 10.
Ireland committed men to rucks and played more “old style” rugby. 
From #2 throwing in, to all the backs aimless kicking, I hope that USA company knows what they are buying in to.

The USA company will very likely be making their feelings known about the coaching staff.

Foster is unlikely to resign this week. But he may be pushed, with a few mlllions worth of parachute in the next few weeks. JK made the point on TV today that it might cost $4M now/soon but $60M in lost revenue if we stuff up at RWC.

Perhaps some bright spark can snaffle Brendon McCullum off England and replace Foster with Baz? 

It's clear that there is no strong leadership on the field via Sam Cane. A shame cos he has recovered from terrible injuries to earn his spot back. But he does not seem to have the personal charisma of a McCaw or even a Read. Perhaps if left to just play his game he'd be better; Savea to lead by example? The best loosie on the planet, IMO.

We have missed the all-round skill and energy of Dane Coles; our midfield seems to be constantly changing. We need an effective combination at 12-13, not a revolving door policy.

MM

14 minutes ago, von Smallhaussen said:

A lot of finger pointing at Foster - ( I do not think he should be there either) but the AB's were completely outplayed in the forwards. The forward coach is Plumtree and his record as a coach is terrible! As for the halftime interview with him - sums it all up!

Ended up watching a replay last night, and yes VS, you are completely right, AB's totally outplayed in the forwards.  At 2nd, 3rd etc etc phase play, they regularly had more momentum and made more ground, by breaking first up tackles, making line breaks.  It seemed to happen the whole game.

Why did it happen?  The passing of the Irish was superb, with passes timed such that players were running onto the ball, not receiving it when stationary.  Is that a coaching thing.  AB's also made a lot of mistakes, I guess that is what pressure does.

A big ask next up, South Africa at home, 1 of those matches at altitude.  If they lose those, which is a big possibility, I can't see how they can continue with the current regime

• Like 1

Interesting  debate from the RP faithful!👍

Here is my ten cents worth, looking from outside the cauldron of fire.

Personally, Cane has never really filled me with much confidence, not just as a leader,but a starting player.Matches are controlled by 3 players Captain, #9 and #10.Rugby is not a game as such  to be controlled  from the grandstand,apart from the silly modern day player replacement because the players these days can't go for 80 minutes.

Just concentrating on Ireland for an example, the math told us that they were going to win in NZ sooner or later. Ireland wins were no surprise, they have been  building since 2016/17. The NH European  competition  has gone from strength  to strength and for Ireland having Munster and Leinster competing on this stage has strengthen Irish rugby.Cue Schmit for the latter team,who took a team of raw ability and transformed them and then Ireland with his technical excellence with the skills and belief that they were on the same level as the best teams in the world.

From some of the comments  above...

If Foster goes he will be pushed, because with only 14 months until the World Cup, they are going to have to bed someone in quickly.

Who do they replace him with? I hear the cries for Robertson already, and on paper he probably  deserves  a shot! My question  is why didn't  he get the in the first place? Me thinks that he has butted heads with someone  at the round table, which probably  means he may not get his shot and with Eddie's contract up in 14 months, the lure of the NH might be to much $ to refuse.

Players have to take responsibility for what's going on during a match.

Maxi, disagree re Coles, for me he is a broken man limping to the pits.

Savea is not captain material for me ,plays alot better when left to his own devices.

Tour matches in this day and age should be used to blood in new squad players .Win ,lose ,draw, doesn't matter the result.

Coaching at the highest  level is a tough gig with the weight of the country on your shoulder. Just ask Scolari and Dunga, although  they did have two bites of the cherry!

Edited by Midnight Caller
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Midnight Caller said:

Interesting  debate from the RP faithful!👍

Here is my ten cents worth, looking from outside the cauldron of fire.

Personally, Cane has never really filled me with much confidence, not just as a leader,but a starting player.Matches are controlled by 3 players Captain, #9 and #10.Rugby is not a game as such  to be controlled  from the grandstand,apart from the silly modern day player replacement because the players these days can't go for 80 minutes.

Just concentrating on Ireland for an example, the math told us that they were going to win in NZ sooner or later. Ireland wins were no surprise, they have been  building since 2016/17. The NH European  competition  has gone from strength  to strength and for Ireland having Munster and Leinster competing on this stage has strengthen Irish rugby.Cue Schmit for the latter team,who took a team of raw ability and transformed them and then Ireland with his technical excellence with the skills and belief that they were on the same level as the best teams in the world.

From some of the comments  above...

If Foster goes he will be pushed, because with only 14 months until the World Cup, they are going to have to bed someone in quickly.

Who do they replace him with? I hear the cries for Robertson already, and on paper he probably  deserves  a shot! My question  is why didn't  he get the in the first place? Me thinks that he has butted heads with someone  at the round table, which probably  means he may not get his shot and with Eddie's contract up in 14 months, the lure of the NH might be to much $ to refuse.

Players have to take responsibility for what's going on during a match.

Maxi, disagree re Coles, for me he is a broken man limping to the pits.

Savea is not captain material for me ,plays alot better when left to his own devices.

Tour matches in this day and age should be used to blood in new squad players .Win ,lose ,draw, doesn't matter the result.

Coaching at the highest  level is a tough gig with the weight of the country on your shoulder. Just ask Scolari and Dunga, although  they did have two bites of the cherry!

Gotta agree about Coles.He is an off the ball player who under the scrutiny of the many cameras would get his marching orders early on.

• Like 1

An interesting observation I made and cannot recall if it was last year or the year before - Why did Foster announce that the AB captain will be Sam Cane 3 months before the team was named?

Was that a case of you look after me and I will look after you?

For me Foster has to see out his tenure until after the world cup but Plumtree goes and Cane loses the captaincy and starting roll. Like Midnight says I also do not think Ardie is the right player for captain.

A common saying that applies to rugby as in all other facets of life ........respect is earnt, not demanded ☺ 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, barryb said:

Hesi, I hate to say it to you, but this is all Jacinda’s fault.

Rugby not unlike Racing has become a yawn fest, it started in late Jan with endless meaningless games of the most boring comp that fuck all understood.

NPC Rugby is dead, the Ranfurly shield is dead, I don’t even know who holds it right now.

For a large part of NZ public Rugby has become unobtainable to view and unfortunately that’s the player base of the past. Pillock kids play football on a Sat morn, only if it’s not raining, or frosty, Mum arrives in her 4x4 which has never seen dust with the after game fizzies and chocs for all the participation awards, fuck me. The glory days of Rugby are behind us, the lessons are not yet learnt as to why.

Yeah I know, too much seagulling on the wing, should have been a hooker hahaha

17 minutes ago, von Smallhaussen said:

An interesting observation I made and cannot recall if it was last year or the year before - Why did Foster announce that the AB captain will be Sam Cane 3 months before the team was named?

Was that a case of you look after me and I will look after you?

For me Foster has to see out his tenure until after the world cup but Plumtree goes and Cane loses the captaincy and starting roll. Like Midnight says I also do not think Ardie is the right player for captain.

A common saying that applies to rugby as in all other facets of life ........respect is earnt, not demanded ☺ 

And who has the most respect in the team, Sam Whitelock.  I mean to say, look at the fella.

Foster gone on Wed/Thurs, Razor will have already been briefed to be prepared to name a team for SA

13 minutes ago, Hesi said:

And who has the most respect in the team, Sam Whitelock.  I mean to say, look at the fella.

Foster gone on Wed/Thurs, Razor will have already been briefed to be prepared to name a team for SA

While I would like to see Razor in charge I do not think it will happen - what about Joe Schmitt who was brought in at the last minute before the first Irish test where the AB's did look pretty good. Then Foster and Plumtree came back for the next 2 and we all know what happened!

14 minutes ago, von Smallhaussen said:

While I would like to see Razor in charge I do not think it will happen - what about Joe Schmitt who was brought in at the last minute before the first Irish test where the AB's did look pretty good. Then Foster and Plumtree came back for the next 2 and we all know what happened!

A box of Fru Ju's on it VS?

I don't believe it has anything to do with stats, even though Robertson's stack up pretty well.  Razor has managed to catch the imagination of a vast majority of the NZ rugby public.  Online poll of 25K, running 88% in favour.  Appointing him will see a huge uplift in the spirits of that rugby public.  Even Barry might get excited lol