The Race Place

Arrogance

pete

The Irish coaches will be loving these ads that the TAB are playing about their team.

Front page of the Herald this morning

"Last time NZ lost at Eden Park Ireland's coach was still playing league".

Talk about arrogant. My grandfather was born in Ireland so seriously thinking of switching to the green on Saturday 💚

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, ngakonui grass said:

IMO the general public haven't come along for the ride with Foster/Cane.Even if they thrash Ireland next week the damage has been done.Rugby throut NZ is in decline.

I think that is the most insightful comment I have seen on the subject NG

• Like 3

On 7/9/2022 at 9:33 PM, pete said:

I backed them last week but lost my nerve this week.

I think they'll win the series now.

can't agree with that. ABs got a rough deal with Savea forced to stay off the park and Ta'avao red card? No intent so why red card? An accidental had clash is all it was..., too much TMO interference is ruining the game.

If you consider that the ABs spent a lot of time defending with 12/13 men and stayed in the hunt despite the bad breaks, the prospect of a sorely wounded 15-man team playing Ireland for the series should make it a fab finale. Barrett back to #6, Whitelock returns, Havili and Jordan in the run-on 15.....looks like a repeat of First Test to me...

MM

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Maximus said:

can't agree with that. ABs got a rough deal with Savea forced to stay off the park and Ta'avao red card? No intent so why red card? An accidental had clash is all it was..., too much TMO interference is ruining the game.

If you consider that the ABs spent a lot of time defending with 12/13 men and stayed in the hunt despite the bad breaks, the prospect of a sorely wounded 15-man team playing Ireland for the series should make it a fab finale. Barrett back to #6, Whitelock returns, Havili and Jordan in the run-on 15.....looks like a repeat of First Test to me...

MM

I tend to agree Max, the AB's had a lot go wrong last test and were still in the game.

They need to sort these cards out. You wouldn't see a much geneuine atempt at an intercept than the aussie bloke who got carded for a deliberate knock down.

I thought Eddie Jones was spot on in his assessment on this occasion ...TMOs have to be reined in or the game will fail dismally to attract viewers. Yes, safety is paramount but you can't legislate a fair contest out of existence or you'll have no contest to legislate. Rugby union has always suffered to some extent from the sheer number of players on the field ..take away a couple of players and force scrums out of existence and you have ... league! And the over-exposure of meaningless Super Rugby (to the detriment of our fabulous NPC in its glory days), played in our mid-summer for Gawds's sake ...is it any wonder the public are so choosy now about what/how much rugby they watch?

MM

On 7/12/2022 at 5:41 AM, Maximus said:

I thought Eddie Jones was spot on in his assessment on this occasion ...TMOs have to be reined in or the game will fail dismally to attract viewers. Yes, safety is paramount but you can't legislate a fair contest out of existence or you'll have no contest to legislate. Rugby union has always suffered to some extent from the sheer number of players on the field ..take away a couple of players and force scrums out of existence and you have ... league! And the over-exposure of meaningless Super Rugby (to the detriment of our fabulous NPC in its glory days), played in our mid-summer for Gawds's sake ...is it any wonder the public are so choosy now about what/how much rugby they watch?

MM

Hope all is well in Kiwi Maxi. What with  the  sky falling on Saturday  night, and supporters bining their eye patches and searching their  family  trees for a bit of green☘

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Midnight Caller said:

Hope all is well in Kiwi Maxi. What with  the  sky falling on Saturday  night, and supporters bining their eye patches and searching their  family  trees for a bit of green☘

hope you are referring only to last Saturday night, MC ...this Sat will be more like the first Test than the second. Beware the wounded All Blacks!

57 minutes ago, Maximus said:

hope you are referring only to last Saturday night, MC ...this Sat will be more like the first Test than the second. Beware the wounded All Blacks!

Hmm I'm not convinced they have it in them but prepared to be surprised. 

Mr Foster has done what most NZers would say is required to 'reset' and treat 2nd Test as an anomaly.
Whitelock, Havili back; S Barrett at #6 not lock; Will Jordan mercifully in the run-on team. Opportunity for RTS subbing. Coles on the bench. Mo'unga cover for Barrett(s).
All they need to do is adopt a smart attitude to disciplined play, a bit of patience before the expansive game, and better tactical awareness/kicking execution from B Barrett.
Should be fun!

All Blacks v Ireland
When: Saturday, 7.05pm
Where: Sky Stadium, Wellington
Referee: Wayne Barnes (England)

All Blacks team to face Ireland in third test:
1. George Bower
2. Codie Taylor
3. Nepo Laulala
4. Brodie Retallick
5. Sam Whitelock
6. Scott Barrett
7. Sam Cane (c)
8. Ardie Savea
9. Aaron Smith 
10. Beauden Barrett
11. Sevu Reece
12. David Havili
13. Rieko Ioane
14. Will Jordan
15. Jordie Barrett

Replacements:
16. Dane Coles
17. Aidan Ross
18. Ofa Tu'ungafasi
19. Akira Ioane
20. Dalton Papalii
21. Folau Fakatava
22. Richie Mo'unga
23, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck

7 hours ago, Maximus said:

Of course Maxi!😁

The thing that gives me the shits,are those(and i will use the term loosely) Herald journos. They are the biggest turncoat about! When the AB's(and any nz sport )is winning,they are licking the boots of the sports people  and coaches. As soon as there is a  loss,the slipper,bat and knives come out with the big I told you so and finger pointing.Some of the scribes suggestions on how to fix the lose/loses are sometimes  laughable.

Now, as for as professional rugby is concerned, NZ has led the way for a long time and people just have to realise that like alot of other sports most teams and countries do catch up in time.Personally I think a loss is good for a team that is used to  winning. With the way  rugby has developed over the years, the World Cup is the only measuring stick, forget about all the tour results  and two bit comps,every four years is where it counts.

Fingers crossed no armageddon in Wellington Maxi!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Midnight Caller said:

Of course Maxi!😁

The thing that gives me the shits,are those(and i will use the term loosely) Herald journos. They are the biggest turncoat about! When the AB's(and any nz sport )is winning,they are licking the boots of the sports people  and coaches. As soon as there is a  loss,the slipper,bat and knives come out with the big I told you so and finger pointing.Some of the scribes suggestions on how to fix the lose/loses are sometimes  laughable.

Now, as for as professional rugby is concerned, NZ has led the way for a long time and people just have to realise that like alot of other sports most teams and countries do catch up in time.Personally I think a loss is good for a team that is used to  winning. With the way  rugby has developed over the years, the World Cup is the only measuring stick, forget about all the tour results  and two bit comps,every four years is where it counts.

a perfect summary there, MC. Well said

12 hours ago, Midnight Caller said:

Of course Maxi!😁

What gets me in the Herald is they seem to have 4 or 5 different people needed to write about rugby.

DJ Cameron would be turning in his grave.

6 hours ago, ngakonui grass said:

If the World Cup is all tht matters why have these other games at all.

Judging by the crowds at the 2 Maori games v Ireland it would appear that games outside test matches don't matter at all.

Club rugby in NZ is stuffed and the rot is moving upwards imo.

In terms of the Wellington game it was a shitty cold Tuesday night the same week as a series deciding test match. Given that I didn't think the crowd was too bad