The Race Place

Rugby World Cup opinions here ...

Maximus

One for the ages that was. A couple of poor defensive  lapses in the first half let the Irish back into it, but boy that D in the second half towards the last 10 mins was superb. Argentina won't live with that if they reproduce that form.

I was at the RSA with about 50 others and the room was silent in those last 5 minutes. Edge of the seat stuff, and it erupted when we won the last breakdown, a deafening roar and clapping. Who would have thought. Kinda glad Fozzie has something to remember his tenure by and not an early exit. 

• Like 1

Hey that is some great news for the All Blacks with the Host nation French Fries , who looked the main danger after the Win in POOL play , having bowed out to the 'Springies ' of South Africa by a point in a tough quarter Final.

Onwards to Victory Now 🏆 ... and just needing to pop Les Pumas 'on the plane' next weekend semi and.... then  it's Grand Final Glory 🏆 time !!

• Like 1

On 10/15/2023 at 11:43 AM, Midnight Caller said:

Who said defence doesn't win games. The boys tackled themselves into the ground, well done Fozzy for  a winning  game plan. Player of the match for me was Sam Cane, huge all round game.

12/ 1 Southern Hemisphere treble is still on! Go the Boks!

Well said, MC. Shame Fiji didn't get past the Mother Country. Don't think the Argie Bargies will be a cakewalk, though.

I just hope and pray we stop kicking the ball away so much, esp in the last 10 minutes. BUt even when leading 13-0  and the Irish had hardly touched the ball, what did Smith (mostly) do...kick the pill down their throats ..next thing you know we're up by flock-all and with only 14 men on the field.

Cane was sensational, but many were - Savea, J Barrett, Sam Whitelock.
I really would prefer to see Roigard in the playing 23..

and would love the Poms to beat Sud Afrique next weekend.

MM

5 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

Thought you were Australian. ? Thanks for the support, see if you can convince more of your compatriots to support us in the future now that Aussie Rugby has officially died . R.I.P. 🧑‍⚕️ . 🤣

Always cheering for the All blacks . masters of their craft. Bit like cheering for Allstars at the trots really ...you just can't help but be impressed with the fine record and wins and preparation they have.....

20 years ago to the day almost , I went along to a couple of World Cup matches at Suncorp Stadium Brisbane. 

Australia beat Romania by about 100 points so wasn't even that exciting really. as too one-sided... The week before the France v Fiji game was excellent and close at half time , but Le Frogs galloped away the second half with better fitness edge. The Final in Sydney saw the Poms do a drop goal at end of extra time to beat the Wallabies . That was a real 'Flattener' to say the least, after getting so close 🙄

Hoping the AllBlacks can Pay them (Pommies)  back that compliment in this years Final !! 🏆 and flatten them lol ......would be terrific 👍😊

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Maximus said:

what did Smith (mostly) do...kick the pill down their throats ..

Yep agree, with 5 mins left a box kick gave it back to them and we were under the pump defending for 38 phases. All they had to do was wind the clock down by keeping it in the forwards for as long as they could.

3 hours ago, Maximus said:

the Poms to beat Sud Afrique next weekend.

Wouldn't we all, the pinnacle, thrashing the Poms in a Final. Bring it on

• Like 1

Discipline will be the key to the All Blacks winning the 2023 Rugby World Cup.
If they are successful in that key area, then I'm firmly of the belief that they'll bring the Cup home.
If they are guilty of poor discipline, Handre Pollard will bang it between the posts each and every time, from as far out as 65 metres. Surely the Springboks will start Pollard, and not wait to bring him in off the subs bench like in their semi-final. Pollard is streets ahead of their other flyhalf.
The worrying factor for the All Blacks in the discussion around discipline, is Scott Barrett.
Scott is a great player, but he has a track record for attracting yellow/red cards . . . not for being unlucky, but for doing brainless things like in the All Blacks' semi-final.
Big matches are won and lost on yellow/red cards . . . we only have to go back to the All Blacks game against the Springboks at Twickenham 8 weeks ago to see that.
Let's hope that history doesn't repeat itself ... and that instead, the best team wins.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Howard Atkinson said:

Discipline will be the key to the All Blacks winning the 2023 Rugby World Cup.
If they are successful in that key area, then I'm firmly of the belief that they'll bring the Cup home.
If they are guilty of poor discipline, Handre Pollard will bang it between the posts each and every time, from as far out as 65 metres. Surely the Springboks will start Pollard, and not wait to bring him in off the subs bench like in their semi-final. Pollard is streets ahead of their other flyhalf.
The worrying factor for the All Blacks in the discussion around discipline, is Scott Barrett.
Scott is a great player, but he has a track record for attracting yellow/red cards . . . not for being unlucky, but for doing brainless things like in the All Blacks' semi-final.
Big matches are won and lost on yellow/red cards . . . we only have to go back to the All Blacks game against the Springboks at Twickenham 8 weeks ago to see that.
Let's hope that history doesn't repeat itself ... and that instead, the best team wins.

Good points, Howie. I expect Barrett will start and be subbed midway 2nd half at worst anyway, perhaps earlier depending on what the Boks are up to. 
For me the most interesting selection will be the reserve halfback - remember Roigard played at Twickenham and scored a superb solo try when the match was lost; Foster has left him out for one of two reasons - he doesnt think he's up to the pressure of a RWC knockout game, or because he's keeping him as the wild card/X factor against them again. IMO he's light years ahead of Christie as an attacking weapon, esp in the last quarter when some of those big bodies are a tad knackered. Reminds me of Joost van der Westhuizen - lanky, leggy, tall for a halfback and with great skills and sidestep.

MM

• Like 1

On 10/25/2023 at 4:46 AM, Maximus said:

Good points, Howie. I expect Barrett will start and be subbed midway 2nd half at worst anyway, perhaps earlier depending on what the Boks are up to. 
For me the most interesting selection will be the reserve halfback - remember Roigard played at Twickenham and scored a superb solo try when the match was lost; Foster has left him out for one of two reasons - he doesnt think he's up to the pressure of a RWC knockout game, or because he's keeping him as the wild card/X factor against them again. IMO he's light years ahead of Christie as an attacking weapon, esp in the last quarter when some of those big bodies are a tad knackered. Reminds me of Joost van der Westhuizen - lanky, leggy, tall for a halfback and with great skills and sidestep.

MM

I'm a Roigard fan Maxi! But Christie has been pretty good in defence when he has come on.Doesn't matter how big,he drops them around the  laces,so fair play.

5 hours ago, Hesi said:

No Roigard

Asked my son, who reads, watches or listens to everything said about the AB's, and apparently his defence is weak.

well I can't remember Christie saving many tries or scoring any when it matters. Sunday will be his chance to become a national hero. 

Fascinating selections by the Boks coach(es); THeABs will have expected the 7-1 split.

MM

Well your mate Fozzie disagrees

When quizzed about Roigard for the Ireland match

A bewildered Foster then had to lay out just why, in an otherwise largely predictable lineup, he had opted for the jaw-dropping call to name Finaly Christie as reserve halfback ahead of Cam Roigard for Sunday morning’s (NZ time) do-or-die contest in Paris.

“We just felt it's horses for courses for this particular game,” Foster said, before elaborating slightly.

“We just think Finlay's got an edge defensively. We think there's a lot of action likely to happen around the ruck, defensively. “We've been delighted with Cam's form, and in a different type of game it might have gone slightly differently, but in this one here, we've gone for that.”

Cam Roigard, left, was a surprise omission from the All Blacks lineup for their World Cup quarterfinal, with Finlay Christie, right, instead getting the nod for the bench.
HANNAH PETERS/GETTY IMAGES
Cam Roigard, left, was a surprise omission from the All Blacks lineup for their World Cup quarterfinal, with Finlay Christie, right, instead getting the nod for the bench.

In what could potentially be his final team naming of this tumultuous tenure, will Foster’s bold move pay dividends, or blow up in his face, then?

To call it a gamble would almost be a contradiction. It’s essentially the conservative route, going against the young rising star with the ability to break a game open, and instead plumping for the extra experience and dogged defence of a player who comes with less x-factor and less risk.

1 hour ago, Maximus said:

Well, it's Fozzie's team so Max will grin and bear it. For better or for worser. For all our sakes', I hope all 23 play blinders cos the daggers will be out (again) up and down the country if we lose.

MM

If they lose, I would expect to see the entire board and the executive of the NZRU resign over the way the appointment of a new coach was handled, prior to this WC being played, effectively undermining Fozzie and the team, regardless of what people think of Fozzie.  And I don't like him, but that is beside the point

Maybe it was a ploy if successful, a very unorthodox one, but I doubt it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maximus said:

Well, it's Fozzie's team so Max will grin and bear it. For better or for worser. For all our sakes', I hope all 23 play blinders cos the daggers will be out (again) up and down the country if we lose.

MM

The daggers  have been long before the tournament started and keep appearing prematch. This is a final of brain v braun, and personally feel the NZ defence has come good at the right time.

Thanks Hesi   ......    ALLBlacks 34 - Springboks  13     

surely you win that one ?   can't believe you gone for SA 😳 . will be harder at the rugby League and cricket being played tomorrow as well. 😉  🇦🇺  

( the Pacific championship  Kangaroos 34 - kiwis 12)         ( World Cup cricket  🏏  Baggie Greens 277 - BlackCaps 227 )