The Race Place

Rugby World Cup opinions here ...

Maximus

SA have never had a try scored against them in 3 finals

AB's record loss of all time 35-6 to SA 8 weeks ago

First time the AB's have lost a pool match

Soundly beaten by France

Close run game against Ireland, 3 tries each, that could have gone the other way

Just saying

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

SA have never had a try scored against them in 3 finals

And they never scored a try against us in the Final in 1995. 

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

AB's record loss of all time 35-6 to SA 8 weeks ago

A total aberration as most Rugby commentators will attest to after beating the Boks  here at home.

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

First time the AB's have lost a pool match

And??, big deal .South Africa lost to Ireland. 

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

Soundly beaten by France

And where are France  ?????

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

Close run game against Ireland, 3 tries each, that could have gone the other way

So was the Boks -England game  that could have gone either way. 

Just saying

Edited by Globederby19

On 10/24/2023 at 8:02 PM, Howard Atkinson said:

Discipline will be the key to the All Blacks winning the 2023 Rugby World Cup.
If they are successful in that key area, then I'm firmly of the belief that they'll bring the Cup home.
If they are guilty of poor discipline, Handre Pollard will bang it between the posts each and every time, from as far out as 65 metres. Surely the Springboks will start Pollard, and not wait to bring him in off the subs bench like in their semi-final. Pollard is streets ahead of their other flyhalf.
The worrying factor for the All Blacks in the discussion around discipline, is Scott Barrett.
Scott is a great player, but he has a track record for attracting yellow/red cards . . . not for being unlucky, but for doing brainless things like in the All Blacks' semi-final.
Big matches are won and lost on yellow/red cards . . . we only have to go back to the All Blacks game against the Springboks at Twickenham 8 weeks ago to see that.
Let's hope that history doesn't repeat itself ... and that instead, the best team wins.

Your comments were almost bang on Howie

35 minutes ago, barryb said:

Hahaha, thats my last game ever to watch, I can't stand that dickhead from Chch. Rugby will rapidly now sink into the abyss in NZ as interest wanes massively.

They needed to win this game to keep it at the highest level in the public's eye.

I don't think so, they played above themselves and with a lot of heart, which people will respect and stay interested therefore.

You may think Robertson is a dickhead, but public opinion in several polls done is well and truly behind him, mid 80%.  Followers of rugby and indeed the general public will be hoping he builds a dynasty and era of invincibility like he did with the Crusaders.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, barryb said:

Hahaha, thats my last game ever to watch, I can't stand that dickhead from Chch. Rugby will rapidly now sink into the abyss in NZ as interest wanes massively.

They needed to win this game to keep it at the highest level in the public's eye.

and there is no way that adding extra made up tournaments will help.

48 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Can't wait to read the "world media reacts" stories, run by the NZ mainstream media. 

Said no one ever. 

Haha. Just read a report on Stuffed which tells me that this was the greatest World Cup Final ever.

• Like 1

I am a leaguey from waay waaay back

can some rugby guru explain why when you are 1 point down with 10 minutes to go you kick away possession, I simply do not understand the kicking “tactic” in rugby … 

Another thing I notice when I watch with my rugby mates when the ref blows the whistle on most occasions my mates have little or no idea what it is about 

hard game to watch.. and as for the TMOs best I pass, but to be fair the League bunker is also a bit of a toss up particularly for the defending team

Edited by Turny