The Race Place

Tracks

Hesi

You continually seem to ignore, it was Ellerslie's money, any money to fix it if needed will be from Ellerslie and it is not $55 mil.  If at worst they need to just re-do the top layer, then at a guess it is $5-10 mil that Ellerslie will pay anyway.  All the other parts that were included in the $55 mil are fine.

As Barry said, your resentment towards Ellerslie seems to be colouring your view

I know that Barry has a senior management role in a company that would have supplied a lot of material to Ellerslie for the re-build.  Therefore, I think his posts carry more credibility than those that comment based on 'what they have been told'.

18 minutes ago, brown fox said:

Am I the only person here who nearly fell off his chair when reading Barry holds a senior Management role in a company?(sorry Baz)😁

Very switched on guy.

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

You continually seem to ignore, it was Ellerslie's money, any money to fix it if needed will be from Ellerslie and it is not $55 mil.  If at worst they need to just re-do the top layer, then at a guess it is $5-10 mil that Ellerslie will pay anyway.  All the other parts that were included in the $55 mil are fine.

As Barry said, your resentment towards Ellerslie seems to be colouring your view

Total bullshit I have no resentment to Ellerslie at all...I just have a resentment for accepting a shit job..something you dont seem to have an issue with...anyway I will move on...cheers ...

Just now, RJB said:

Total bullshit I have no resentment to Ellerslie at all...I just have a resentment for accepting a shit job..something you dont seem to have an issue with...anyway I will move on...cheers ...

I don't think you are convincing anyone

42 minutes ago, brown fox said:

Am I the only person here who nearly fell off his chair when reading Barry holds a senior Management role in a company?(sorry Baz)😁

He will be crossing you off his Xmas selections list BF.

And yes the seniority of Barry's role, would have meant he was well aware of what was happening at Ellerslie.  So when he says that everything was done in accordance with and agreed by Strathayr, I guess he would know, as opposed to the gossip that is bandied about.

• Like 1

Quite good from what I can see.  The GM is a woman, as is the H&S Manager, the Technical Manager, HR Manager, and Key Accounts Manager who is also of Indian extraction.

Nothing exposed on LGBTQ sorry 

Does that answer your question?

• Like 1

ATR advises that the planned winter renovation of the track will commence immediately with the race meeting scheduled to be held at Ellerslie on May 25th moving to Pukekohe Park.

No images? Click here

CorporateEmail-banner-9900000000079e3c.p

May 25th ATR Race Meeting Transferred to Pukekohe Park Following Ellerslie’s Abandonment on Saturday

Sent on behalf of Auckland Thoroughbred Racing and New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing

Following the partial abandonments of race meetings at Ellerslie on 10 and 20 April, New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing (NZTR), in conjunction with Auckland Thoroughbred Racing (ATR), advises that the planned winter renovation of the track will commence immediately with the race meeting scheduled to be held at Ellerslie on May 25th moving to Pukekohe Park.

This decision comes as a proactive response to recent track issues and concerns raised by stakeholders with officials confident the planned renovation will greatly assist in removing the root mat which has compromised traction.

Saturday’s abandonment follows a mid-week meeting abandonment on 10 April that required the Club to undergo immediate remedial works and conduct a trial meeting, per NZTR’s Return To Racing protocols, following which after thorough assessment and constructive dialogue with stakeholders saw collective agreement that racing activities could proceed at Ellerslie on Saturday.

Despite these concerted efforts to ensure optimal track conditions, unfortunate circumstances arose during the course of Saturday’s meeting after a horse slipped during race 6, resulting in the cancellation of the remaining two races for the safety and well-being of all participants.

In commenting on the events of Saturday, ATR Chief Executive Paul Wilcox says, “We find ourselves at a loss for words. Our team shares a sense of disappointment and frustration, not only for ourselves but also for the broader industry. With unwavering faith in our new direction, we regret any disappointment experienced by those affected in recent weeks.

“We have had every confidence in the new surface and, while we still strongly believe this is the right track for us, are sorry to those for whom have been let down over the past couple of weeks.

“Despite setbacks, we recognise the importance of embracing this experience as a lesson and, as we embark on our scheduled renovation, remain committed to positive progress.

“We express our sincere appreciation to our stakeholders and the racing community for their understanding and continued support during this time.”

NZTR COO Darin Balcombe echoed ATR's sentiment and was supportive of Ellerslie's pre-emptive move to Pukekohe.

"After all efforts were made to improve the surface following the 10 April abandonment, NZTR was disappointed in the outcome of the partial abandonment Saturday at Ellerslie."

"We fully support ATR's proactive approach to move the meeting on May 25th to Pukekohe and will work alongside Ellerslie over the winter as we work toward ensuring the surface is at its best for the 2024/25 season."

"The NZTR Board will meet this Wednesday and, alongside management and ATR, will review the process to potentially seek independent advice that the winter renovation will alleviate all ongoing issues and provide the industry with the confidence it needs for the long-term."

"The first meeting of the season is set to take place in September and will undergo a robust and thorough return to racing protocol ahead of the first meeting."

In light of these developments and prioritising the safety of jockeys, horses, and all involved, NZTR and ATR have taken the proactive decision to relocate the scheduled May 25th race meeting to Pukekohe Park. This precautionary measure ensures that racing activities can proceed without compromising safety or integrity.

Existing ticketholders will be contacted directly by ATR with regards to their options and the Club regrets to advise that the planned Irish Party event will be cancelled. Further information about the relocated raceday can be found online at aucklandracing.co.nz .

• Thanks 1

That is a total u-turn to what Paul Wilcox talked about on Weigh In, the need to test the track, get more intel etc etc.

I realise they are trying, but all these conflicting messages is not a look of credibility

• Like 2

On 11/22/2022 at 6:14 AM, mardigras said:

I also don't see the new track at Ellerslie doing anything special for NZ racing. The same investment on a standard turf track would have done the same. I don't see it as some magic elixir. 

Track issues aside, as I mentioned in the above post 18 months ago, the real question is why do Strathayr. 100% unproven in a climate like Auckland as to what benefits would be there. Just build a turf track with decent drainage.

They likely would have had problems on a turf track (but they also may not have), but the work to fix it would have been able to be funded by the savings made not doing Strathayr.

You may think I am not a Strathayr fan. I think they are OK generally. I don't see the pinnacle tracks in Australia using it. And if it is superior, you would have to ask yourself why they don't.

Everyone is still raving about how the direction they have taken is the right one. Well I disagree. And if the tracks turns out fine later, I will still disagree. 

• Like 3

It is a valid point Mardi, as the only difference between what you are talking about and Strathayr, is the top turf/mesh elements layer, Ellerslie now has a track with a superb drainage system, just something not quite right with that top layer.  Something that Barry, who has been associated with the installation, firmly believes will come right, as it was raced on too soon.

I presume there was a lot of discussion on the type of grass to be used in Auckland based on climate.  NZ has much expertise in breeding and growing perennial rye grass, for sports use

I guess they went with Strathayr because it had an established name in sports and racetrack surfaces.  You have seen the ferocity with which the industry turns on itself, from all the amateur DIYers who know very little, when it tries to do something and gets it wrong, especially when it is seen to be re- inventing the wheel.

Your stance is supported by a track like Randwick who had 230mm the other week, yet still raced fine on a soft surface the same day.  As I said they probably should have all got themselves over there and found out how they do it

I would venture to say also that a very large percentage of the 55 mil has gone anyway into building the base and drainage system for the track, bearing in mind that Ellerslie sits in the middle of several extinct volcanoes, therefore a lot of excavation required.

Avondale for example would not have had the same sort of excavation issues with it's alluvial soil. but that is digressing.

Synthetic tracks were only built in NZ, thanks to the Provincial Growth Fund, as training surfaces to allow horses to be trained and race on over Winter, in preparation for Spring racing.  Well Cambridge was anyway, which is due to be sold to help fund the Waikato Greenfields project

• Thanks 1