The Race Place

Covid-19 update

pete

11 minutes ago, Hesi said:

The point I was trying to make Pete, it is not newsworthy, it just a right wing anti-Labour opinion from a known red-neck, sensationalist bs

For the paper to keep on publishing Hosking, undermines their credibility, which is pretty low in the first place.

Good columnists please, who make mainly objective and considered comment, that most of us could not spew out over a chat forum.

Fran O'Sullivan, Audrey Young maybe, but not Hosking......cheapshot journalism

Don't agree but that's ok. There should be room for both sides. I don't find any of the other Herald opinion writers balanced at all. They are all left leaning in my opinion.

I actually like Hosking - there I've said it. Also like Mark Richardson on TV3 Breakfast Show. 

As I say it's just my opinion. I'm only pulling your chain a bit about Dear Leader because I don't think you can see past the personality cult that has developed about her.

The rest of the 'Government' are totally inept and I include Grant Robertson in that. Apparently Kelvin Davis (remember him?) appeared on Paul Henry's show last night and got totally eviscerated. And he's the Deputy Leader of the Labour Party and MINISTER OF TOURISM. 

Add the other clowns like David Clark, Phil Twyford, Willie Jackson, Iain Lees-Galloway, Nanaia Mahuta etc etc and you can sort of see that there is absolutely no competence in this government whatsoever.

I know I sound a bit bolshie but at least the above is my own work and I didn't cut and paste anything.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, barryb said:

Bloody hell Mardi, just reading the Harness thread elsewhere, shit you stir people up.

You post from a very strong knowledge base that fact outweighs emotion and destroys people’s arguements

I think you secretly like it also when people amp up at you, it’s like a challenge issued. Someone with you intellect could easily post very effectively to diffuse, but please don’t as it makes for great entertainment.

Apparently the nutcase thinks I got all abusive. And then called himself an illiterate nutcase. So maybe he thinks he's illiterate and added on my description to embellish his own. 

I'd love to see where I got abusive. I thought I was pretty well restrained. I sometimes enjoy a bit of what you suggest. But the chief has lost the plot and then he comes over like a dictator himself. Which I thought was funny given the posts after that.

I do stuff like that when in lockdown - we all need some fun every now and again 🙂

Hey - but hope you're keeping OK - and that as tough as things are - there might be some light at the end of the tunnel.

This Covid thing is easy.

May 8 1945 VE day!Just had our 2 min remembrance silence. 

We kept our faith with ourselves and with one another. We kept faith and unity with our great allies. That faith  and unity  have carried us to victory. 

George VI  May 8 1945.

God bless you all.This your victory! It is the victory of the cause of freedom in every  land.My dear friends, this is your hour.

Winstone Churchill  May 8 1945

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mardigras said:

Apparently the nutcase thinks I got all abusive. And then called himself an illiterate nutcase. So maybe he thinks he's illiterate and added on my description to embellish his own. 

I'd love to see where I got abusive. I thought I was pretty well restrained. I sometimes enjoy a bit of what you suggest. But the chief has lost the plot and then he comes over like a dictator himself. Which I thought was funny given the posts after that.

I do stuff like that when in lockdown - we all need some fun every now and again 🙂

Hey - but hope you're keeping OK - and that as tough as things are - there might be some light at the end of the tunnel.

You mean the high and mighty one, who rolls out the principles, then puts them away when it suits his purpose

For the record, and not wanting to let the facts get lost in the usual tirade of crap and hypocrisy, but in response to specific assertions and insinuations this site does not exercise free speech

1.  We've never curtailed anyone's free speech or right to post(I think Pete and I are still moderated over there)

2.  We've never banned anyone, closed threads, hidden threads, deleted or changed posts

3.  We do though have a line in the sand with respect to personal abuse and denigration, most reputable sites have that standard

4.  We don't have a specific section set up as a vehicle for anti Government propaganda.  In fact Pete is quite strongly anti Labour and I am quite strongly pro, but neither of us use any specific privileges we have as site owners to advance those views, which we do from time to time express, but not to the level of fanaticism seen on other sites.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, mardigras said:

Not sure why Barry. I'm kinda opposite - I find NSW easy, but metro tough there.

Oddly, after 2 or 3 years mucking round with Oz racing, I find Sydney and Melbourne metro the best for me. That said, I get a quite low level of bets there that meet value criteria.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Maximus said:

Freedom retained at a terrible price...and never to be taken for granted

MM

Yes Maxi, been watching Nat Geo and History channels, the last few days, just horrific and it pretty much encompassed the entire continent of Europe, so much suffering

• Like 1

Yes,  I'm possibly a bit older than many posters; I recall, as a teeneger,  some very descriptive documentaries pertaining to the war itself, and the causes and fallout after..dear oh dear, what a horrendous time for all, public, armed forces,  just awful.     The Diary of Anne Frank was compulsory reading in our English class,  and - with an acerbic old Scottish lady as our English teacher - led to more dissemination about that whole time period.

The young of today just have no idea.    I'm not making light of mental health issues, nor denigrating sufferers, but bloody hell, if sitting at home watching TV is going to screw your marbles, life is going be a huge challenge. JMO.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, curious said:

Oddly, after 2 or 3 years mucking round with Oz racing, I find Sydney and Melbourne metro the best for me. That said, I get a quite low level of bets there that meet value criteria.

Yes metro Vic not a problem. Finding value at metro NSW I find difficult - and less successful as well. Of the metro areas, Queensland and WA would be my favs.

I think the decision whether to move to Level 2, is going to be the hardest decision Ardern will have to make in her career

If she does, look at the pics around NZ today, people have buttoned off the protocols, police are fearing a deluge, risking the chance of a resurgence ........who was talking about self responsibility, that's right the business people.

Yet if she doesn't, people are over it and likely to openly revolt, not to mention the damage it will do to her re-election aspirations.  

On 5/6/2020 at 4:12 AM, Hesi said:

NZ Government debt/GDP ratio(19.2%) is very low compared with most other countries, so they are in a position to inject a lot of money to stimulate economical health, until the ball gets rolling again

Aus 45, UK 85, US 107, Germany 57

https://tradingeconomics.com/country-list/government-debt-to-gdp

The UK has been above the protocol 60% since 2007/08 and we know the captain and first mate were!

It's interesting to hear that apparently the whole world will suffer the same deaths etc re the virus - irrespective of the measures taken. I hear people claiming that - yet the same ones are unable to equally understand the economic impacts are equally the same re the virus - irrespective of measures taken. Funny how they can see one side, and not the other. So they use evidence from other countries - but don't like the economic evidence from those same other countries. Blind or just seriously blinkered?

And it seems that if that is indeed the case, and it's just a cold or a minor flu (apparently), then I wonder why those quoting Sweden or maybe the US or Canada are incapable of comparing flu deaths with these deaths. Each of them have already had 3 - 4 times their normal flu deaths in the space of about 4 weeks. Pretty odd results for a cold to a minor flu. And I guess the deaths for those countries are stopping today.

So yep, if the deaths are going to be the same, then what's the point of lockdown. Equally, if the economic impacts are the same, what's the point in lockdown?

That also means, if they are all the same, what's the harm in lockdown. None - same deaths, same economic impact. Might as well just enjoy it.

Seems they want it one way, but not the other. Political bullshit.

• Like 1

And how funny is this from the Chief on another site.

Sweden as 12m people and already had a high unemployment rate.  We have 4.8m people and our unemployed increased by way more than 36,000.

In response to the issue of Sweden and their loss of 36,000 jobs - which happened to be in March. NZ did not have any where near 36,000 extra jobless in March. NZ had an additional 6,000 on Jobseeker for the March period. And Sweden does not have 12m people. Per capita, since March 1, the job loss in Sweden has been faster than it has been in NZ.

Since March, Sweden lost a further 20,000 in the first 12 days of April. 

And I'm not sure what the previous rate of unemployment has to do with anything. Yep, the guy is a nutcase - as he seemed to suggest, an illiterate nutcase. 

Maybe we should being up Belarus?

Followed by this from him.

That Sweden hasn't been affected as badly as we have.  Also it would appear they are taking the hit early.  Ardern (note I say Ardern and not the Labour Government) has used her biggest weapon - Level-4 too early and has wasted the opportunity.  

Which is not supported by any of the economic indicators.

Edited by mardigras

His views are totally coloured by his far right leaning, even though he doesn't realise it.

As I said on another thread somewhere, Ardern could single handedly develop a Covid 19 vaccine and he would still scratch up something to pick holes in her and her government.  I tend to think it has all got a bit personal for him, with a reasonable dollop of bitterness thrown in

I don't bother, I can't anyway:classic_rolleyes:

On 5/8/2020 at 8:01 AM, mardigras said:

My info is that Wednesday midnight (Thursday onwards), we will be in lockdown 2. Schools will be fully open from the Monday following. We'll see if that is correct. If not, I'll be off to deal with my 'source'. 🙂 

Looks like my source/info might have come through!

• Like 1

Bars delayed till Thursday May 21

Molly will have to delay his big wank of a party.

Actually I'm surprised, with his scant regard for the laws of the land in the Grace Millane case, breaching suppression orders, why the police didn't tell him where to stick his party, as quite a substantial amount of following rules and protocols is required......not his strong point

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Actually I'm surprised, with his scant regard for the laws of the land in the Grace Millane case, breaching suppression orders, why the police didn't tell him where to stick his party, as quite a substantial amount of following rules and protocols is required......not his strong point

hasn't been convicted yet has he or has he and i've missed it.

47 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Surely he can call it a restaurant? 

No sympathy for the man himself but the bar/restaurant differentiation is going to be a difficult one to police.

When does a bar become a restaurant or vice versa? All places around my district serve food.

53 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Don't think that will stop the party. It's a restaurant with table service and the guest list is a hundred. Why would that stop it?

• Like 1

• Sport activities (including those that involve close contact) are allowed but only if good contact registers are maintained, the conditions on gatherings are observed and - where practical – physical distancing is used. No one should train or play if they have symptoms of Covid-19.

• Last week, Sport and Recreation Minister Grant Robertson said professional sports could resume domestically subject to necessary public health measures. At that stage, Investec Super Rugby and the ANZ Premiership Netball League had already confirmed their intention to resume domestic competition.

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

• Sport activities (including those that involve close contact) are allowed but only if good contact registers are maintained, the conditions on gatherings are observed and - where practical – physical distancing is used. No one should train or play if they have symptoms of Covid-19.

• Last week, Sport and Recreation Minister Grant Robertson said professional sports could resume domestically subject to necessary public health measures. At that stage, Investec Super Rugby and the ANZ Premiership Netball League had already confirmed their intention to resume domestic competition.

22 players plus hangers on in each rugby team playing another different 22 players plus hangers on each week.What can go wrong.

• Haha 1

If you think the racing hierarchy is bleeding the industry dry, then consider the huge costs and salaries at the Auckland Council, and still they are like the TAB, a bumbling, monopoly.

The difference between industry, where you have to compete for your dollar and local government is well shown in the paragraphs below.

The supermarkets in order to be able to trade, in line with MPI protocols got moving and sorted in a few days

But chief executive Stephen Town said the council was carefully considering how and when to open its facilities as level 2 began.

"With more than 400 facilities throughout Auckland, including 55 libraries, 38 pools and leisure centres, and nearly 250 council-run and community-led venues, we need to open our facilities in level 2 in a way that is safe and manageable for our staff and customers and locks in the gains we made in level 3," he said.