The Race Place

Covid-19 update

pete

More incompetence. I tried to get into the new Covid app this morning and gave up.

Seems most people have had similar problems.

Doesn't really instil much confidence does it?

PS I have absolutely no intention of using it. I was interested from a professional point of view. It sounds like crap.

Screenshot_20200520-060606_NZ Herald.jpg

Simon Bridges   SIMPLY GONE BY LUNCHTIME. THANKS FOR NOTHING

Paula Bennett    SELF-MADE WESTIE WHO LOVES HER CREATOR

Paul Goldsmith  AS CHARISMATIC AS A DEAD BRICK

Judith Collins     TOO SLIPPERY TO BE TRUSTED

Todd McClay      A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK. ROGER THAT

Mark Mitchell     GREAT WHITE HOPE BUT TOO CLEVER TO BE A LAMB TO THE SLAUGHTER

Nikki Kaye           WHO?

Louise Upston    WHO?

Todd Muller         WHO?

David Bennett     WHO?

Simon O'Connor  WHO?

Michael Woodhouse  WHO?

Edited by Maximus

Jacindas popularity was helped along though the lock-down by her daily TV appearance, accompanied by her Health Minister side-kick.

Most of the country were happy...but businesses climbing back out of the lock-down (hairdressers and the 2 meter browns cow brigade)

and tomorrow, pubs and restaurants (still with spacing restrictions) ...and worst hit (Funeral and Tangi restrictions on loved ones).

Anyway my point !...She is a long odds on fave,..However she required the greens and Winston on board at the last election to secure victory.

Winston hasn't exactly cleaned the racing industry up ! (and doesn't deserve my vote again)...(undecided, as could be the decider)

and this new privacy invasion (call me paranoid if you like) around communication, and who knows what other measures, has me furious !

....we will be marching like the Chinese next ! ...I will vote medical marijuana and voluntary euthanasia, OH YEAH...hope the economy recovers.

• Like 1

Ian McKelvie is the Nats shadow racing minister

Has the background that suggests he might actually do a good job, and demand accountability from the board and executive team.

Therefore based on that, when the Nats appoint a new leader, you would be hoping for someone with a background in primary/rural industry, who understands that racing needs to be run properly

On that basis, I would suggest as a slightly longer shot, Todd Muller, former GM of Zespri

I see just now, he along with Nikki Kaye are the 2 named as being the leadership contenders

9 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Ian McKelvie is the Nats shadow racing minister

Has the background that suggests he might actually do a good job, and demand accountability from the board and executive team.

Therefore based on that, when the Nats appoint a new leader, you would be hoping for someone with a background in primary/rural industry, who understands that racing needs to be run properly

On that basis, I would suggest as a slightly longer shot, Todd Muller, former GM of Zespri

I see just now, he along with Nikki Kaye are the 2 named as being the leadership contenders

I'd go for that.

3 hours ago, pete said:

Good comment Alan. I see National under Collins at least steadying the ship and she may surprise a few people. She is far more media savvy than she used to be and has got rid of some of the rougher edges.

Sure she's polarizing but I don't see that as a problem.

As you say, someone needs to hold this government to account and apply the blowtorch to the incompetence that exists below the leadership. She absolutely destroyed Twyford on Kiwibuild and did it with a smile on her face.

Apparently not interested

So what is going to happen today, Bridges or Muller.

I know that the rural community will be a lot happier with Muller, with his background in business in the primary industry, with Fonterra and Zespri.

Does he have the X factor though, that has been so badly lacking with Bridges.

Whatever they do, they need to not surrender the next election to Ardern.  Whatever you might think of her, she came in fighting, and that was only 6 weeks before the last election

If Muller/Kaye get the nod, they need to go on the attack, with what they are going to do, from day 1

On 5/15/2020 at 12:50 PM, mardigras said:

I love reading about things like excess mortality.

Such as in a report I read which stated that between March 23 and April 24, Sweden's excess mortality (deaths) compared to baseline was 2469 extra deaths.

During that period, Sweden reported 2001 of their deaths to Covid-19. So of their deaths during that month, they had an extra 468 deaths more than 'expected', that were not classed as Covid-19.

Just going through a bad month I guess. So of al the deaths reported by Sweden to Covid-19, it would be a poor guess to suggest that many were going to die as part of their normal 'deaths'.

So with 3500 deaths (so far), it would be reasonable to suggest a very high percentage of them wouldn't have died at this point without Covid-19. If all of them were due to Covid-19 alone, that still leaves 19% increase in mortality for the month compared to 'normal'.

Don't seem to be doing that well on the herd immunity either.....

11.05am: Sweden making slow progress on herd immunity

Only 7.3% of Stockholm residents have produced the antibodies needed to fight Covid-19, raising more concerns over Sweden’s relaxed measures to control the spread of the virus. The relatively low immunity figure was confirmed in recent research by Sweden’s public health agency, CNN reports. It’s roughly similar to immunity rates recorded in other countries with greater restrictions, the report says.

24 minutes ago, curious said:

Don't seem to be doing that well on the herd immunity either.....

11.05am: Sweden making slow progress on herd immunity

Only 7.3% of Stockholm residents have produced the antibodies needed to fight Covid-19, raising more concerns over Sweden’s relaxed measures to control the spread of the virus. The relatively low immunity figure was confirmed in recent research by Sweden’s public health agency, CNN reports. It’s roughly similar to immunity rates recorded in other countries with greater restrictions, the report says.

It seems pretty clear that they've effectively shot themselves (or at least a large number of their elderly) in the foot, or worse.

14 minutes ago, mardigras said:

It seems pretty clear that they've effectively shot themselves (or at least a large number of their elderly) in the foot, or worse.

I think those of us that fought for the level 4 deployment here are going to win this in a hand canter though we have to leave the call on the economy to the judge for now.

• Like 2

The Mustelid is delighted that Bridges is gone. They simply had to stop the bleeding and he made some stupid statements during the worst of lockdown/Covid. Time will tell if they have a saviour in Muller/Kaye combo; if they start to pick the right fights for a change, they could claw back enough ground before the Spring breaks through.  The legislation sneakily passed during lockdown on votes for prisoners is one - but  this election will be about jobs and the economy. Muller'Kaye/Goldsmith had better come up with a compelling alternative to Labour's 'tax and borrow and spend and hope' approach

Edited by Maximus

I had never really heard of Todd Muller but I watched his press conference tonight and found him quite impressive.

Completely different style to Bridges and probably more in tune with the country at the moment.

I think they've made a good choice.

• Like 2

People are very quick to point out, that Ardern has only done so well, because of Covid 19.  Well hello, she actually had to do a good job, for her to get the support she has

Compare it with this leader from Brazil, would they still be saying she did a good job, if this scenario had played out in NZ

But in Brazil – where on Tuesday, the daily death toll exceeded 1000 for the first time – President Jair Bolsonaro remains dismissive of the devastating impact of the virus and opposed to lockdowns.

The leader, often described as South America's Donald Trump, joined anti-lockdown supporters this week, embracing children and posing for photos – seemingly unbothered that 90 per cent of intensive care beds in Rio de Janeiro are now occupied and more than 21,000 Brazilians have died.

• Like 1

He is a Conservative Catholic, like Bolger, English -, anti women's rights, abortion, homosexuality, euthanasia - for gods sake it is 2020. 

Jacinda a shoe in for next 3 terms

Terrible choice 

Edited by Turny

On 5/20/2020 at 7:55 AM, Maximus said:

Simon Bridges   SIMPLY GONE BY LUNCHTIME. THANKS FOR NOTHING

Paula Bennett    SELF-MADE WESTIE WHO LOVES HER CREATOR

Paul Goldsmith  AS CHARISMATIC AS A DEAD BRICK

Judith Collins     TOO SLIPPERY TO BE TRUSTED

Todd McClay      A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK. ROGER THAT

Mark Mitchell     GREAT WHITE HOPE BUT TOO CLEVER TO BE A LAMB TO THE SLAUGHTER

Nikki Kaye           WHO?

Louise Upston    WHO?