The Race Place

Covid-19 update

pete

Yep siding up to National as he realises Labour will be in a position to go forward without NZF, but they won't get 5% anyway so little odd to make such an early call as only Labour will benefit, very odd

He will shaft National too, just his DNA

I disagree with Winnie on many things, but I think he's right about our slow move to Level 1. 22 actives cases, borders closed, plenty of PPE, masks, contact tracing processes ...but you cant have more than 100 people at a wedding or funeral. Bollocks! If physical distancing is still so important, why is rugby/league returning now? If nightclubs/dancing among strangers is a problem, just keep nightclubs closed longer. We should be in Level 1 this weekend. 

6 minutes ago, Turny said:

Yep siding up to National as he realises Labour will be in a position to go forward without NZF, but they won't get 5% anyway so little odd to make such an early call as only Labour will benefit, very odd

He will shaft National too, just his DNA

I see parallels this year with 2008, when Peters copped it after the Spencer Trust donations scandal . Same shite, different year...likely the same result ...3 more years in the wilderness .. and political oblivion for NZF cos there's no party without Peters.

Edited by Maximus

People need to more accurately interpret what Ardern has said on Monday

"The move to Alert Level 1 will be considered no later than June 22"

Including David Seymour

On Monday, Ardern said that New Zealand would be in alert level 2 for another month. 
"Jacinda Ardern appears to hold two different positions on a move to level 1," Seymour said

"She appears to be saying something different inside Cabinet, privately expressing the view that we should move more quickly [into level 1]."

• Like 1

Jacinda runs a real risk of losing the goodwill of many Kiwis if she doesn't act more quickly over Level 1. Just 3 new cases in the past 16 days; not one person with Covid in NZ is sick enough to be admitted to hospital, let alone require IC care/ventilator.

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

People need to more accurately interpret what Ardern has said on Monday

"The move to Alert Level 1 will be considered no later than June 22"

Including David Seymour

On Monday, Ardern said that New Zealand would be in alert level 2 for another month. 
"Jacinda Ardern appears to hold two different positions on a move to level 1," Seymour said

"She appears to be saying something different inside Cabinet, privately expressing the view that we should move more quickly [into level 1]."

Not sure I see the discrepancy?

33 minutes ago, Maximus said:

Jacinda runs a real risk of losing the goodwill of many Kiwis if she doesn't act more quickly over Level 1. Just 3 new cases in the past 16 days; not one person with Covid in NZ is sick enough to be admitted to hospital, let alone require IC care/ventilator.

Bloomfield wants 2 clear incubation periods(2 x 2 weeks), which he may or may not get

15 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Ardern is clearly looking closely, if they can come out of Level 2 prior to June 22, which is the intent of her original statement.

Seymour has interpreted her as saying NZ would be in Level 2 for another month

I haven't read or listened to any of this. But the statements themselves (quoted originally above) are not conflicting to me.

Edited by mardigras

2 minutes ago, barryb said:

If she was smart she would signal the intention this week clearly.

On Monday June 8 we will be going to level 1 provided there are no new infections between now & then.

The pressure coming on her now to move is going to be intense.

She could do and probably should do. Whether she does may be a different matter. 

On 5/20/2020 at 6:09 AM, pete said:

More incompetence. I tried to get into the new Covid app this morning and gave up.

Seems most people have had similar problems.

Doesn't really instil much confidence does it?

PS I have absolutely no intention of using it. I was interested from a professional point of view. It sounds like crap.

Screenshot_20200520-060606_NZ Herald.jpg

It is crap. Worked once then nothing since. Unbelievable really. 
I heard on the grapevine that the the guys that developed it, previously worked for the TAB on their latest platform until recently.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/22/2020 at 1:40 PM, curious said:

Don't seem to be doing that well on the herd immunity either.....

11.05am: Sweden making slow progress on herd immunity

Only 7.3% of Stockholm residents have produced the antibodies needed to fight Covid-19, raising more concerns over Sweden’s relaxed measures to control the spread of the virus. The relatively low immunity figure was confirmed in recent research by Sweden’s public health agency, CNN reports. It’s roughly similar to immunity rates recorded in other countries with greater restrictions, the report says.

They are getting good at racking up the 'wins'. 

The country with the current highest per capita deaths (reported) on a rolling 7 day and 14 day average. And they've been topping that list for a while. This from a country some have said have it under control. I'd hate to see it out of control. And the economy is stuffed like its neighbours. What a great strategy. Stuff the economy and wipe a few out at the same time. 

Also get fed up reading how much the Govt lockdown has stuffed the economy, without people acknowledging the major impact on the economy, comes from the worldwide impacts of Covid 19.  Get it right people, base your debate on the facts

Reserve Bank Aus May outlook, Aus who had a less stringent lockdown, exactly the same negative economic indicators as NZ

The Australian economy is expected to record a contraction in GDP of around 10 per cent over the first half of 2020; total hours worked are expected to decline by around 20 per cent and the unemployment rate is forecast to rise to around 10 per cent in the June quarter

• Like 1

Sweden has an expected GDP contraction of the same, unemployment to rise to a fair bit above 10% (but their starting rate was a couple of percentage points higher before Covid). For me, the signs were indicating that from the start. The global contraction was outside the control of most countries so you were faced with the same issues either way.

Is it just me but do I smell Hypocrisy in a certain decision to let film crews in here, when many workers from Vanuatu who work on vineyards are stranded down South after the picking season,and cant go home to help their family's after the Storm obliterated some of their homes. The local vineyards have given them work to do during the winter so far, and local community's have rallied around to clothe them with suitable winter clothing. Someone removed humanity out of the equation in the halls of decadence and greed.Shame on you people.

"The move to Alert Level 1 will be considered no later than June 22"

She's not stupid, she will be listening to the science, the public health advice, the modelling and forecasts on the economy from Treasury, and very much also, public opinion, there is an election coming.  So on that basis, I'm picking Cabinet discussion and approval later this week, for a move to Level 1 sometime in the w/c 8 June

16 minutes ago, barryb said:

Like those types whom believe in Religious fairy tales you mean?

No doubt Barry you have faith in yourself as the arbitrator of all truth. Good luck with that son.

I have a spare moral compass at home I can lend if needed. 

Now lets get back to politics shall we.

I found this post on the channel where the rednecks run rampant, fanatically copy and pasting every article ever written that supports their propaganda.

It's so good, so well articulated, so well reasoned, that I thought it could well be the work of a poster that posts here

Archer

Posted May 28

Please stop saying you "researched it."

You didn't research anything and its highly probable that you dont even know how to do so.

Did you compile a literature review and write abstracts on each article? Or better yet, did you collect a random sample of sources and perform independent probability statistics on the reported results? No?

Did you at least take each article, one by one and look into the source ( that would be the author, publisher and funder), then critique the writing for logical fallacies, cognitive distortions and plain inaccuracies.

Did you ask yourself why this source might publish these particular results? Did you follow the trail of references and apply the same source of scrutiny to them?

No? Then you didn't fucking research anything. You read or watched a video, most likely with little to no objectivity. You came across something in your algorithm manipulated feed, something that jived with your implicit biases and served your confirmation bias, and subconsciously applied your emotional filters and called it proof.