The Race Place

English PL Highlights and lowlights

craigos1

2 hours ago, craigos1 said:

Nine games left now.

How many points required to be safe?

I think Leeds will be safe. They needed a win under Marsch and now they have that I think the "new manager bounce" and the return of Bamford will see them through. Their last two matches are at home to Brighton and away to Brentford so a realistic chance to save it when it really matters.

Burnley are sliding downhill fast. Weghorst looked the part when Wood left but he can't find the net. I think they won't survive this time. Norwich have a Championship lineup and are goners. The fascinating watch is Lampard's Everton. He really doesn't seem to have the tactical nous to turn them around. They are abysmal at present. Foolishly signed Ali. Van der Beek hasn't impressed much. Calvert-Lewin is stuck in treacle every time they play. Richarlison shows some spark but spends half the game offside. Pickford is probably their best player but he can't save them on his own. Worse still they yet have to play Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Man U and it's hard to see them getting a point from those 4 fixtures. They are in deep shit.

Watford are their biggest rival to avoid the 3rd drop spot. They have some talent but don't put it together regularly. If old Roy Hodgson can just shore up the defence a little they may survive. Their postponed match at home to Everton is yet to be rescheduled. It may be the decider in the relegation battle.

Brentford, Newcastle (revived under Eddie Howe), and Brighton look good enough to ensure safety

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, PWJ said:

Worse still they yet have to play Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Man U and it's hard to see them getting a point from those 4 fixtures. 

i agree with 3 out of those 4 but who is not taking points off United at the moment, knocked out of CL this morning - happy days

i like how the article on espn says United out of CL in narrow defeat - its got so bad that they are qualifying their losses now 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/15/2022 at 11:13 PM, PWJ said:

I think Leeds will be safe. They needed a win under Marsch and now they have that I think the "new manager bounce" and the return of Bamford will see them through. Their last two matches are at home to Brighton and away to Brentford so a realistic chance to save it when it really matters.

Burnley are sliding downhill fast. Weghorst looked the part when Wood left but he can't find the net. I think they won't survive this time. Norwich have a Championship lineup and are goners. The fascinating watch is Lampard's Everton. He really doesn't seem to have the tactical nous to turn them around. They are abysmal at present. Foolishly signed Ali. Van der Beek hasn't impressed much. Calvert-Lewin is stuck in treacle every time they play. Richarlison shows some spark but spends half the game offside. Pickford is probably their best player but he can't save them on his own. Worse still they yet have to play Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Man U and it's hard to see them getting a point from those 4 fixtures. They are in deep shit.

Watford are their biggest rival to avoid the 3rd drop spot. They have some talent but don't put it together regularly. If old Roy Hodgson can just shore up the defence a little they may survive. Their postponed match at home to Everton is yet to be rescheduled. It may be the decider in the relegation battle.

Brentford, Newcastle (revived under Eddie Howe), and Brighton look good enough to ensure safety

Totally  agree re Everton comments PJ. Ali's head hasn't  been there for a while imo.

9 minutes ago, craigos1 said:

Everton won today 1-0

Am I right in saying Everton have never been relegated from the top tier?

Everton Relegated 1950.  Promoted year after running 2nd in DIV 2.....(only relegated twice in teams history)

Only ARSENAL has spent more time in English Top Flight football. Arsenal has been 'Top Tier' for over 100 years. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/19/2022 at 11:03 AM, Lightning Blue said:

Never say Die son. RAUL Jiminez now an 'honarary' Leeds member lol..... 😅  staying 'up' are the mighty LeedsUnited...

Wow what an amazing comeback, down 2 nil at half time then scoring 3 in the second. We had some luck with the sending off but given Wolves good defence this season, they should have still comfortably held on.

I have a wee soft spot for Wolves because one of their biggest fans is Robert Plant. He received an honour from Wolves a few years ago for his support.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The way things are going for Leeds the " get together " could be a wake!

Leeds lose 0-4 to Man City this morning.

With next 3 games against Arsenal , Chelsea & Brighton can't see a lot of points coming our way.

Everton are 5 points behind us but 2 games in hand.

If it comes down to goal difference we are toast , as Leeds are -34.

2 minutes ago, craigos1 said:

The way things are going for Leeds the " get together " could be a wake!

Leeds lose 0-4 to Man City this morning.

With next 3 games against Arsenal , Chelsea & Brighton can't see a lot of points coming our way.

Everton are 5 points behind us but 2 games in hand.

If it comes down to goal difference we are toast , as Leeds are -34.

Everton will crack under the pressure.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Dancing Show said:

I believe we need Pochettino if we really want to get Chelsea moving forward in that environment.    I think Potter is better to stay at the gulls for a while longer rather than leaping into the Chelsea hotbed so crossfingers that you get to keep him a while longer Pete 🙂 

I have this awful feeling he's going.