The Race Place

All things Covid and Political discussion .........Be Kind

Midnight Caller

6 minutes ago, Maximus said:

a week after the next election

Would you like a one way ticket to Sydney Max?   I'm sure it could be arranged and then you could be in a country that likes to open it's borders like you turn on a tap..  with no inbetween ...  While you're enjoying the freedom, the racing, the going where the hell you want to...  what are others enjoying?     Who would you like us to open our borders to??

I so agree with your feelings Maria.

There are 3 people at work who think I have been sucked into , as they say the Covid Bullshit.

There ages range from 29 ~ 60.

I'm a proud Labour Party supporter and I'm proud how they've handled Covid events thus far.

I know the majority on here support the Right but we've been kept safe , surely that alone deserves some kudos

I think it's easy for us in NZ to have feelings either way as we've been protected from the really bad and enjoyed the really good so we don't really have a true perspective of what it's like in countries that have endured the number of deaths and illness and hardship.   We had minimal deaths and illnesses from this, not in their importance, but in numbers and we may have friends and families overseas going through it.. but we aren't individually experiencing it, we log off, end phone calls and go outside, go into town to a crowded bar or restaurant, go to a crowded sports game, travel on a flight throughout our country ... so it is hard to really comprehend what others are going through.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, craigos1 said:

I so agree with your feelings Maria.

There are 3 people at work who think I have been sucked into , as they say the Covid Bullshit.

There ages range from 29 ~ 60.

I'm a proud Labour Party supporter and I'm proud how they've handled Covid events thus far.

I know the majority on here support the Right but we've been kept safe , surely that alone deserves some kudos

Ask them if you can come to their next meeting of the Flat Earth Society, then go along and push them all off the edge😁

• Haha 1

Dare I say it(no I'm not going to mention the J word), but maybe Simon Bridges is the answer.  I have seen him outside of the media glare, and he is a really likeable, personable and articulate guy.  Just seems to go a bit sterile in the spotlight.  If they could train that out of him

pehaps this Covid politics discussion should be transferred to another thread. My view of this Goverment's DELIVERY on everything that matters -from housing to infrastructure to climate change and Covid vaccination - is that they are a rank failure.

To clarify my position on Covid management, we are extraordinarily lucky - like Tasmania - to have a natural defence weapon called the ocean. Hence the importance of prioritising the border and frontline workers. Everyone working at all our ports should have been vaccinated by now. No jab, no job. Especially crucial now that the virus has mutated to be even more contagious. We've had 5-6 months to double-jab the high priority sectors and have done poorly. 9% of Tauranga port workers, for goodness's sake.

MM

3 minutes ago, Maximus said:

pehaps this Covid politics discussion should be transferred to another thread. My view of this Goverment's DELIVERY on everything that matters -from housing to infrastructure to climate change and Covid vaccination - is that they are a rank failure.

Gluteus - I think we should set up a committee to review and get a report on your suggestion. 😉

• Like 1

• Hesi changed the title to All things Covid and Political discussion .........Be Kind
38 minutes ago, Maximus said:

To clarify my position on Covid management, we are extraordinarily lucky - like Tasmania - to have a natural defence weapon called the ocean. Hence the importance of prioritising the border and frontline workers. Everyone working at all our ports should have been vaccinated by now. No jab, no job. Especially crucial now that the virus has mutated to be even more contagious. We've had 5-6 months to double-jab the high priority sectors and have done poorly. 9% of Tauranga port workers, for goodness's sake.

MM

I disagree, but will just focus on the Housing issue

The fault lies with the failure of progressive governments over the past 30 years, both Labour and National to address the issues, because so much of our economy depends on house prices increasing.  It is a long term fix now, if it can be fixed at all.  Maybe the only fix, is a crash, brought on by factors outside of the control of NZ governments.

What we can all agree on, is housing affordability is a national scandal, and a terrible legacy to pass onto future generations

6 minutes ago, ngakonui grass said:

At the very least a conversation should begin.

Yes we need to have that conversation with the public, but before we do, let's bring in a consultant from the UN (overseen by Helen, of course ... oh and Heather) and another from the First Peoples Of The World Authority. 

Edited by Maximus
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, pete said:

I totally refute anything on this thread 😎

im gettin' lost trying to find really important stuff here...ie experts' tips! Oh shite I'm onnn the r-r-rong thread

Edited by Maximus
  • Like 2

According to Barry Soper's reliable contact, 7 days Level 4, all of the NI from midnight tomorrow, definitely the Delta variant

Well, it will do one thing, the vaccination rates will sky rocket, once the lockdown is over, although I'm sure the idiots will be out in force again, saying is was all pre-managed to boost vaccinations

and Labour's popularity will plummet as people realise that the threat posed by Delta would have been much lower if the vaccination rollout had been more efficient ..6 months and only about 15% of the eligible population jabbed.... meanwhile, Jacindy is busy issuing a good telling off to the Taliban, reminding them to 'be kind' as the Afghani men, women and children run for their lives ..at least she didnt have the gall to be wearing her hijab ....grrrr!

• Like 1

Surely the strategy has to change! The go hard and early wording ,coupled  with stopping  this virus.

It ain't  going  to happen! Learning to live with it(and other countries numbers will tell you that)is the only way forward. Double  vaccinations reduce deaths and hospital services from from being overloaded. Full scale PCR test are the only way to judge the scale of infection  within a community. 

Edited by Midnight Caller
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now, I'm not pro vaccination or anti-vaccination. Individual choice as far as I can see. But I'm surprised to see the anti-vaccer chief putting out posts showing the latest effectiveness of the vaccine in the UK.

The chief wrote:

From the UK PHE report 68% of deaths June 22nd to August 15th 68% of those who died aged over 50 were fully vaccinated:

With regard to deaths with Covid (within 28 days of a positive test), PHE reports 602 in the double vaccinated and 280 in the unvaccinated in the over-50s in this period.

With results like that, if that is all I knew, being over 50, I'd go and get vaccinated straight away. 4 -5 times as much chance of dying following a positive covid test,  in that age bracket when not vaccinated than when vaccinated  (given an 88% vaccination level at the start of the period and in the low early 90s % vaccinated by the end of the period). 

Give me the shot!

Keep them coming chief.

The reality is, the data is about as useless as considering weight when punting.

Edited by mardigras

You must be wrong Mardi, you've tangled several times before, and never been right😁

Are he and a few of the other know it alls , so arrogant as to think they know more than the combined knowledge of the best scientific brains in NZ, who are continually reviewing data as it comes to hand and overseas experiences as they also evolve.  Or are they also, all part of the so called Covid conspiracy 

Remind me of their credentials again

You can only have a credible opinion, if you have had a real job, like mucking out a stable lol

Keeping it apolitical.  Whether the Govt takes on the, what you would expect, the apolitical scientific brains recommend, is another story.

9 hours ago, barryb said:

I have to say, that thread is an interesting read through.

There are some passionate fellows on there.

I'm not a fan of current lockdown approaches - but the conspiracy theorists have gathered together. I particularly like Aquaman's ideas. The virus is nothing more than a cold or a very mild flu. Given CDC info suggests the standard 'flu' kills around 20k - 30k in the US per year, given the excess deaths in the USA, there's been a lot of people dying from something other than the standard 'flu', let alone a 'mild flu'. Must be just fed up with living.

Whilst we have to learn to live with it, some do get a little reactionary to what the government does, rather than just making the best of the situation you can. All doom and gloom rather than looking for opportunities.

Love to see what they would be writing if they lived in many other places in the world. They want what NZ offers in the good times. Funny that.

Edited by mardigras