The Race Place

The A-Z of Harness Racing Great Horses you might remember.

Lightning Blue

41 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Here's one for Field Commander or Robert (or anyone ) to figure out.

Was nothing better than seeing Max Harvey win the Auckland Cup with Comedy Lad. Max did so much for trotting just like the amazing man Chris Garrard has done for harness racing in modern times. great to see Max with winners.

Here in photo , his high priced purchase has just won the Max Harvey Stakes, so Max was thrilled with his 1/2 brother to Locarno . went on to get a few wins and was also placed NZ Derby.

Who is this one ? 

DSC02640.JPG

I had thought they were Wofies colours he was wearing, but they are Jack Smolenski's.

18 minutes ago, far too much said:

our mana 

The ultimate Bridesmaid ? Our Mana 2nd in 2 of the Nz cups to both Borana and Camelot, 2nd in Auckland Cup to Enterprise, 2nd to Royden Glen in PanAm flying mile. down the track behind Lightning Blue in Chch Interdominion but qualified for the GF ok.. must of got a Group race win at some stage I hope, but must of been sick of the seconds?

5 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

Well we have to mention the American horse OVERTRICK. One of the Immortals of American racing. Broke and held so many records at 2,3 and 4 and was a very successful sire. He raced against our own Cardigan Bay in the sixty's. Great horse, and another from the Axworthy/Peter the Great line. 

Great Sire too 🙂 and his progeny broodmare daughters produced other Jug legends like Falcon Seelster 🙂 

I'll kick the 'P''s off with Petite Evander, a trail blazer in a number of ways, winning in NZ,Aussie and The States, and dam of another great P, Interdominion Winner Pride of Petite.

Here she is beating her nemesis, Nigel Craig. Nostalgia at it's best, right there.

IMG_1281.JPG.99d75bb1adfb921e92cdebdbd8b33ed2.JPG

On 1/14/2022 at 5:05 PM, Blackie said:

I saw Nigel Craig take on a great "P' in a match race at Addington one night, can't remember who won, but I got the quinella.😇

Hey I found your great Match Race !!  thanks Blackie . here it is. Nigel Craig by a Head against the World Champion Petite Evander.

They had a Match Race once in Aus that 20,000 went along to see. A great 'P' horse taking the win. Any ideas???

DSC02641.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Thanks for that LB.I think they did a circuit of three, Alex Park, Addington and another.

Paleface Adios at a guess?

Close !!! they had a national broadcast once of Pure Steel v Satinover (who had won 16 straight and was the favourite in a $50k match race in WA.  I sent the main clipping to a fan, but here's a snippet below of the result.

AND here's One of the GREATEST PHOTOS of ALL Time !!!!  A flashy Nzer whipping the best Aussies around lol.....

The two 'P" Aussie champions togeather PURE STEEL and PALEFACE ADIOS being passed by Locarno , silencing the  huge crowd.

DSC02642.JPG

DSC02643.JPG

• Like 1

'P' day has already seen some great results with fine nominations including three of the TOP 10 Aussies of all time in Paleface Adios, Pure Steel and Popular Alm.

Here's another one ! But he's a big Kiwi-bred  by Lumber Dream,  that was trained out of Aus. won 41 of 56 starts. 

Like many great NZ bred horses that were trained in Australia for most of careers , he won the Interdominion Pacing GF. (making them The truly elite Interdominion Horses  with connections to both countries )  including these.....

I'm ThemightyQuinn, Our Sir Vancelot, Our Maestro, Village Kid, Lightning Blue, Young Mister Charles, Jack Morris, Baltic Eagle, Tiger Tara  and this great horse in Photo !!  Whata Fantastic Line-up !!! all doing NZ and Oz so very proud. 

Who was this guy ?

DSC02644.JPG

Actually he was sold privately for 5 grand I think at the sales, as he didn't attract any bids?. He fractured a cannon bone in the West Australian Derby, and didn't start again till he was 4. Effortless action and covered the ground quickly. Lumber Dream produced some real bottlers, including Robalan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lightning Blue said:

Hey I found your great Match Race !!  thanks Blackie . here it is. Nigel Craig by a Head against the World Champion Petite Evander.

They had a Match Race once in Aus that 20,000 went along to see. A great 'P' horse taking the win. Any ideas???

DSC02641.JPG

Wasn't there some issue with this match race to do with the time they ran?   I vaguely remember some folk being disappointed that it was run too slow.

1 hour ago, Dancing Show said:

Wasn't there some issue with this match race to do with the time they ran?   I vaguely remember some folk being disappointed that it was run too slow.

Yes , both those trotters were in great winning form and trotting about a 2.00 mile. (pretty good for the 70's) 

But in the match race Nigel Craig led and only trotted 2. 10. at Auckland. incredibly slow for those 2 greats.

Here's a lovely Photo I like . Of a nice 'P' day horse. checking out the cameraman lol...

DSC02645.JPG

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Yes , both those trotters were in great winning form and trotting about a 2.00 mile. (pretty good for the 70's) 

But in the match race Nigel Craig led and only trotted 2. 10. at Auckland. incredibly slow for those 2 greats.

Here's a lovely Photo I like . Of a nice 'P' day horse. checking out the cameraman lol...

DSC02645.JPG

Premiership

• Thanks 1